SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

36 minutes ago, DenverDevil said:

Just wanted to give you all the latest on Arizona State! We are getting ready to put shovels in the dirt on a new 5,000 seat on campus arena

ASU Announces New Arena

ASU Arena Renderings Photo Gallery

$115M sports arena proposed for ASU campus gets initial OK - Phoenix  Business Journal

ASU Committee Approves New Arena Plan : College Hockey News

Arizona State's new multi-purpose arena will serve as the home for ASU hockey, wrestling and gymnastics as well as community events including concerts.

I'm still hearing that the NCHC is the targeted destination for ASU Hockey but that decision is still at least another season away. For me in Denver I'd love the NCHC as it gives me home games against DU and CC but I could also see the benefits of ASU joining the B1G with the whole "like institutions". I'm just excited to see we're finally building the arena!

is 5k big enough?...you would think that would only take care of und fans either traveling there or living in the area?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

So if Lindenwood officially makes the jump. Which conference would take them? Is a realignment between the NCHC and CCHA going to occur? 

I could see the NCHC wanting them because of abilities to host NCAA Tournament Regionals and Frozen Fours in St. Louis. 

On 2/4/2021 at 8:28 PM, cberkas said:

I could see the NCHC wanting them because of abilities to host NCAA Tournament Regionals and Frozen Fours in St. Louis. 

I don't. They're not like-minded. They might have a hard time finding a conference. IDK. 

2 hours ago, Tbone said:

Irregardless of when it should happen, I give a tip of the hat to the late SiouxVolley, for probably calling this expansion first. Rest In Peace.

Sorry to hear that, he was enthusiastic about the prospect of colleges adding hockey.

Lindenwood is an exciting school to add for a litany of reasons.

1) using NHL practice facility that is near campus (looking at you Vanderbilt)

2) building upon a women's program (looking at you Syracuse)

3) ACHA program hosting NCAA tournaments to raise funds for the move to NCAA (looking at you Navy)

4) location near USHL footprint

5) South of mason dixon and west of Mississippi, two areas with not enough representation in college hockey

Academically it is not a good school (C+ on Niche, only Cloud has a grade that bad in NCHC, and is probably the only other one that bad in D1) but it brings college hockey to a new metro.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Sorry to hear that, he was enthusiastic about the prospect of colleges adding hockey.

1) using NHL practice facility that is near campus (looking at you Vanderbilt).

Austin Peay in Clarksville may take that slot, TBD

On 2/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

1) using NHL practice facility that is near campus (looking at you Vanderbilt)

2) building upon a women's program (looking at you Syracuse)

3) ACHA program hosting NCAA tournaments to raise funds for the move to NCAA (looking at you Navy)

There is 7 teams that use NHL/AHL facilities that I can think off of the top of my head. Arizona (Roadrunners arena, AHL), UNLV (Golden Knights practice arena), San Jose State (Sharks/Barracuda arena/facilities), Lindenwood (Blues practice arena), USC/UCLA (Kings/Ducks practice facilities), and  Vanderbilt (Predators practice facility). 

Of those teams Lindenwood, San Jose State, and Arizona have the best arenas, where the others play in arenas like Arizona States current arena. UNLV has Orleans Arena and the Silver Knights arena they could play in.

Tennessee has a good size hockey arena that looks to have obstructed view in one end, and Kentucky could play at Rupp Arena where Kentucky basketball plays.

Syracuse needs a bigger arena then what the women's team plays in

Navy supposedly delayed their announcement. 

17 hours ago, northernraider said:

Austin Peay in Clarksville may take that slot, TBD

They used the grant from the NHL to explore adding hockey, but their endowment is smaller than the start up costs for ASU's team. Meanwhile Vandy can sneak in hockey as a line item in their budget and no one would bat an eye, and the Preds practice facility is as close to their campus as the Ralph and Mariucci are to their respective universities.

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

There is 7 teams that use NHL/AHL facilities that I can think off of the top of my head. Arizona (Roadrunners arena, AHL), UNLV (Golden Knights practice arena), San Jose State (Sharks/Barracuda arena/facilities), Lindenwood (Blues practice arena), USC/UCLA (Kings/Ducks practice facilities), and  Vanderbilt (Predators practice facility). 

Of those teams Lindenwood, San Jose State, and Arizona have the best arenas, where the others play in arenas like Arizona States current arena. UNLV has Orleans Arena and the Silver Knights arena they could play in.

Tennessee has a good size hockey arena that looks to have obstructed view in one end, and Kentucky could play at Rupp Arena where Kentucky basketball plays.

Syracuse needs a bigger arena then what the women's team plays in

Navy supposedly delayed their announcement. 

Do you mean capacity wise? Sure hope pro teams don't use facilities like oceanside for their practice rink. Vegas built locker rooms for UNLV at theirs.

Sounds like UW will be using the Kraken facility, too bad it's not closer to campus. 

8 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Do you mean capacity wise? Sure hope pro teams don't use facilities like oceanside for their practice rink. Vegas built locker rooms for UNLV at theirs.

Sounds like UW will be using the Kraken facility, too bad it's not closer to campus. 

It's more like Oceanside when it comes to seating, the Predators have seating for 1000 and Vegas has seating for 600. The arena that Lindenwood uses seats 2,500 (there is a 10,000 seat arena close to campus) and the new San Jose Barracuda arena being built will hold 4,200 (located where all the SJSU athletic facilities are at). Arizona plays in an arena that holds 8,962.

• 4 weeks later...