SiouxSports.com Forum

Discontinuing the UND Shuttle Service is a HUGE, UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

NoiseInsideMyHead

The smoking policy is people aren't allowed back in for the purpose of smoking. Don't tell the people why you want to go out of the arena and just make sure you are 25 feet or more from the doors of the Ralph and you will be fine. Their policy is smoking is prohibited within 25 feet of a door. They know they won't be able to enforce this.

Are you normally allowed to leave and re-enter? I've never been to an event at an arena where you could leave and come back for any reason. At most of them, if you want to smoke there is a specific area where you can leave and be an a corral of sorts outside, or a balcony, but never actually leave the facility and come back in.

I appreciate this new rule. I hate when the person I'm sitting next to smells like smoke. I usually end up having to find a different place to sit, but that's not always an option.

so 6-10 busloads of people each game(or more) is not enough to support this service?

I've seen lines after the games. I don't know how often they are full before/how many half full runs to the arena are made before the games though. I think they should have looked into making some smaller changes before before dropping it completely. I'm sure people would complain about sitting in the bus for 10-15 minutes until it was full before it went over to the arena, but you can't please everyone.

Are you normally allowed to leave and re-enter? I've never been to an event at an arena where you could leave and come back for any reason. At most of them, if you want to smoke there is a specific area where you can leave and be an a corral of sorts outside, or a balcony, but never actually leave the facility and come back in.

I appreciate this new rule. I hate when the person I'm sitting next to smells like smoke. I usually end up having to find a different place to sit, but that's not always an option.

A no re-entry policy would have been a more straight forward way to do it.

UND's response to my email:

It was a difficult decision for UND to make and I assure you it was not made without taking many things into consideration, most importantly the impact it would have on our Go Green permit holders. Unfortunately, the amount of expenses far outweighed the cost of their permits.

My knee-jerk response to their response: if you care so much about the impact on us, why didn't you solicit our input before the decision was made?

How about the fans to pretend to 'watch' the game from the lounge? Can we have a rule that if you aren't paying attention to the game, you're tossed? :)

I'm not a smoker and I don't get the whole 'addiction' thing, but if I can go 4-5 hours without either a Coke or a Mountain Dew, how come you can't handle the same amount of time without puffing a half-dozen cigs?

How about when you smell like beer because you just had 1/4 cup spilled on you by the drunk walking up the stairs? I'd be shocked if alcohol was banned at the Ralph though because that would be a poor business decision;)

How about when you smell like beer because you just had 1/4 cup spilled on you by the drunk walking up the stairs? I'd be shocked if alcohol was banned at the Ralph though because that would be a poor business decision;)

Nevermind walking up the stairs...how about stumbling thru the section back to his/her seat?

Nevermind walking up the stairs...how about stumbling thru the section back to his/her seat?

Exactly! Don't get me wrong there are plenty who drink responsibly at the games. But there are also plenty that don't and I've had beer spilled on me and seen it spilled on people a number of times. And this is nothing compared to the high percentage of those that drive after numerous drinks. If und/Rea was truly concerned with the health of their employees and visitors the alcohol sales would be discontinued.

I'm one of those "coddled masses" who made the donation to get a parking pass; however, I kept my upper bowl seats. So am I partially coddled?

If they open up more ground parking by the arena it could be a reasonable tradeoff.

Overall, UND just needs to suck it up and put in a monorail from The Al to CAS, to the Union and the parking ramp, and then up to The Ralph. :D

Here's a good one...

"Increased Transportation Costs"

According to AAA, the average cost for diesel TODAY is $3.89. One year ago -- when the buses were running -- it was $4.08.

Exceptional UND? You bet.

This is a pure BS excuse. It's not like they've been busing people in from Larimore for Pete's Sake. :silly: A Division I Institution like UND can't afford to shuttle hockey fans a few freaking blocks from a parking ramp and parking lot to the arena? This is a colossal joke and it needs to be pushed back on, hard. :angry:

Allow me to "Devil's Advocate" this one for a second:

Let's assume a Saturday at 7 pm game.

- Driver preps the bus starting at 5:30 pm

- First run from ramp to REA at 6 pm

- Bus runs until 7:30

- Bus restarts at 9 pm (game ends at 9:30 pm)

- Bus runs to 10:30

- Driver off shift at 11 pm.

So, the bus and driver is on for 5.5 hours. But there are four buses. That's an effective 22 hours.

Assume it's $100 for the vehicle and driver (fuel, depreciation, driver pay, insurance, etc.). That's $2200 per night.

At $5 to park in the ramp that's 440 cars in there to run the buses.

That doesn't pay the attendants in the ramp. Let's say that's two cars ($10) per attendant per hour to pay them. I've seen six in the ramp and they are on for five hours so that's 6 times 5 times 2 times or an extra 60 cars to pay the attendants.

Does that work fiscally? Do 500 cars park in the ramp per home game? I don't know. But it's an interesting conversation.

ok lets say this..

440 cars....average of 3 in a car= 1320 people

lets say 4/5 of those don't have tix==256 people

now would those 256 people know that they have to walk in sub zero windchills still go to the game knowing that.... losing out on walk up revenue

and lets say of the rest of those people...who wants to walk when its blizzarding out so lts take another 500 out and that is 500 with out buying a 6.50 beer, 5 dollar coke, 4 dollar hot dog and so on...

lost of lost revenuein the dead of winter

Allow me to "Devil's Advocate" this one for a second:

Let's assume a Saturday at 7 pm game.

- Driver preps the bus starting at 5:30 pm

- First run from ramp to REA at 6 pm

- Bus runs until 7:30

- Bus restarts at 9 pm (game ends at 9:30 pm)

- Bus runs to 10:30

- Driver off shift at 11 pm.

So, the bus and driver is on for 5.5 hours. But there are four buses. That's an effective 22 hours.

Assume it's $100 for the vehicle and driver (fuel, depreciation, driver pay, insurance, etc.). That's $2200 per night.

At $5 to park in the ramp that's 440 cars in there to run the buses.

That doesn't pay the attendants in the ramp. Let's say that's two cars ($10) per attendant per hour to pay them. I've seen six in the ramp and they are on for five hours so that's 6 times 5 times 2 times or an extra 60 cars to pay the attendants.

Does that work fiscally? Do 500 cars park in the ramp per home game? I don't know. But it's an interesting conversation.

$5? I only go on saturdays and pay $10. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that do that as well so they are making more than the $5 you say. the numbers don't add up in their favor.

what bars are free for the bus?

I think downunder (also 2.50 pitchers there Friday nite)

speedway- great specials there and I think u get a freebie when you get back

bun-u can never have one there

does the drum have a bus?

longahaul I think was free last year

other than that every place in town charges...

I had to use something in my assumptions so I used $5 (last I paid before I got a parking pass).

At $10, that's 250 cars. Are 250 cars going into the ramp per game? I don't know.

I think it is probably closer to 100-125 cars per game. The ramp usually isn't close to half full, not all of those are going to the game and I believe the the ramp holds less than 500 cars.