SiouxSports.com Forum

Discontinuing the UND Shuttle Service is a HUGE, UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

NoiseInsideMyHead

ok lets say this..

440 cars....average of 3 in a car= 1320 people

lets say 4/5 of those don't have tix==256 people

now would those 256 people know that they have to walk in sub zero windchills still go to the game knowing that.... losing out on walk up revenue

and lets say of the rest of those people...who wants to walk when its blizzarding out so lts take another 500 out and that is 500 with out buying a 6.50 beer, 5 dollar coke, 4 dollar hot dog and so on...

lost of lost revenuein the dead of winter

There are rarely any tickets available for walk-up other than people selling their extras outside the building. Tickets for most games are sold out in advance.

I smell an opportunity for some enterprising business to sponsor the shuttle ... for a modest (and advertised in the arena) donation that pays for driver and gas.

During January, your business could generate a lot of goodwill. (Think insurance agent, bank, health care provider, Columbia Mall ...) That translates into tangible customers down the road.

For games in October, this is not a huge deal. (And if someone in the party can't walk the 6 blocks, drop them in front of the arena and then someone can go park the car.) But when its 10 below and wind is howling ... you can make a lot of friends quite quickly by sponsoring a shuttle bus.

A Division I Institution should be able to afford shuttle buses for their fans. There is simply no excuse for this. None. It is asinine decisions like this that make UND look second-rate, bush-league and not ready for prime time. Being penny-wise and pound foolish generally doesn't lead to excellence, it leads to mediocrity. And that is not acceptable at UND. Ever.

Had an umbrella and still ended up wet. Very Mickey Mouse and second-rate of you, UND. Meanwhile, I get an email from Tim O'Keefe touting the $324-some million hauled in by the Spirit Campaign.

That's a lot of cash by the way.

A Division I Institution should be able to afford shuttle buses for their fans. There is simply no excuse for this. None. It is asinine decisions like this that make UND look second-rate, bush-league and not ready for prime time. Being penny-wise and pound foolish generally doesn't lead to excellence, it leads to mediocrity. And that is not acceptable at UND. Ever.

I saw you tonight, but you walked on by. :)

I found out the hard way last night that the bus service is gone and am not very happy about it. Maybe it was worse since my son and I had to walk in the pouring rain but at least it wasn't -40 about, at least this time. I parked in the ramp and used the bus for every game I went to. I'm not old but I do bring kids to games and wouldn't want to have to make them walk far in cold weather. This is a terrible idea! It was much more convenient to park in the ramp and take a bus! We parked in the ramp initially and I could probably count all the cars in the ramp on one hand. It was empty! Good thing they spent all that money on it to let it sit there.

I am still waiting to hear from Peggy Lucke about the figures that justify this decision. Rather than jerk the bus out from under its users what would have been wrong with an intermediate measure? Sell a season pass at a nominal charge for shuttle to defray some of the costs. Run fewer buses , e.g., every 20 minutes and only when full. Don't run buses in the 3rd period, wait until game is over. All of the above. Or, how about this, first ask those who use the shuttle for suggestions re: how to make the shuttle runs more efficient and less expensive.

I am still waiting to hear from Peggy Lucke about the figures that justify this decision. Rather than jerk the bus out from under its users what would have been wrong with an intermediate measure? Sell a season pass at a nominal charge for shuttle to defray some of the costs. Run fewer buses , e.g., every 20 minutes and only when full. Don't run buses in the 3rd period, wait until game is over. All of the above. Or, how about this, first ask those who use the shuttle for suggestions re: how to make the shuttle runs more efficient and less expensive.

They will make more than enough money to subsidize the bus service just from the new seats added in place of the goal judges. This is a horrible slap in the face to the average fan. It's corporate or nothing for these clowns.

Ha, you think you will hea from a University employee on the weekend? University time applies here. Give it 3-5 business days. ;)