SiouxSports.com Forum

Discontinuing the UND Shuttle Service is a HUGE, UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

NoiseInsideMyHead

This is a funny thread. People are complaining about the amenties of a 111 million dollar arena. Fans all over the country are envious of the issues that you guys are bitching about! Maybe this will keep the coddled masses out of the Ralph and keep the hardcore fans coming!

The coddled masses have parking passes....

• Upvote 4

Faison could give a sheet less about us...while hes in front row parking and in suites eating on the buffet line we are stuck walking in neg 40 below windchills

Thanks faison. My check is going to be made out to the humane society now instead if und

I understand the frustration that the shuttle service has been discontinued. I think that is idiotic.

However, what is even more idiotic is complaining about the size of the seats in what is arguably the nicest hockey facility in the world. Also, not sure what the jokes about Semrau are all about? I know they are jokes but they guy is unbelievably good at what he does. He helps run the ACM Awards show for god sake.

This makes it tough for families with kids, and elderly people. Many restaurants and bars have shuttles, yes, but those get pretty rowdy, and I would NOT want my kids on them. That is a daunting walk from the ramp to the Ralph on a cold slippery night. I agree about the med school parking options, anyone with the appropriate tag can park there, unless they are getting rid of that option and are making everybody pay. Even if that is the case, the med school is still quite the walk for some people.

Disagree with this policy 100%.

You would look awfully goofy wearing a Gopher jersey with that snazzy SiouxSports.com hat you just bought! :lol:

Makes one sick just thinking about it, doesn't it :ohmy: And although Holy Cross jerseys have lived out their usefulness, I think Sacred Heart jerseys may be in style

However, what is even more idiotic is complaining about the size of the seats in what is arguably the nicest hockey facility in the world.

And exactly how many arenas have you been in so you can offer your analysis?

$100+ million didn't buy comfortable seats, that's all I'm sayin'. And I'm all of 5'10" and 190 pounds.

Go early. Park on the street and all you gotta do is cross the street to the REA. That's what I do. I realize it's not ideal for some people. There's always the option of carpooling with someone that could drop you off close to the door and then the driver of the vehicle could go park and meet you in the lobby.

Also keep in mind if enough people express their discomfort, the people in charge could always change their minds. It's about the fan experience. If people are unhappy, I'm sure the REA would have to re-evaluate the decision.

• Upvote 1

It could be they got the idea from all of the idiots that come walking to the game at -20 degrees with nothing more than a jersey and a t-shirt on. The worst are the ones who have little kids that don't even have a coat on. Maybe that convinced them that shuttle buses are unnecessary.

I think discontinuing the shuttle buses is a poor decision. I would have suggested though that the shuttle buses should not be blocking the main walking path in the front of The Ralph after the game. This forces people who are not riding the bus to walk around through the deep snow on the grass, or cut between the buses which is a definite safety hazard.

If the end result is that there are simply more buses from bars and restaurants, then nothing has been gained but additional $ somewhere along the line.

I've been paying to park in the lots close to the REA the last few years but rode the shuttle before that, there is no way I would walk 10 or 15 blocks on some of those cold windy nights, especially if my kids were along. If you have to dress for ice fishing just to get to the arena you better come up with a plan B.

No, just let people go outside and smoke and then come back in when they are done. I honestly don't understand why this was okay for 11 years and now, all of a sudden, it's "unacceptable".

The smoking policy is people aren't allowed back in for the purpose of smoking. Don't tell the people why you want to go out of the arena and just make sure you are 25 feet or more from the doors of the Ralph and you will be fine. Their policy is smoking is prohibited within 25 feet of a door. They know they won't be able to enforce this.

Watching the news. A woman driving a black SUV tried to crash the White House gate....wonder if she was looking for a closer parking spot.

(Before the lectures start, I know this is a serious incident;just trying to add a little humor to the thread.)

• Upvote 1

Go early. Park on the street and all you gotta do is cross the street to the REA. That's what I do. I realize it's not ideal for some people. There's always the option of carpooling with someone that could drop you off close to the door and then the driver of the vehicle could go park and meet you in the lobby.

Also keep in mind if enough people express their discomfort, the people in charge could always change their minds. It's about the fan experience. If people are unhappy, I'm sure the REA would have to re-evaluate the decision.

This is what I do as well, but given that there are no more shuttle buses, I worry I might have to wait in my car for longer than I normally do because everybody that used to take the shuttle buses decide they need to get there even earlier.

Watching the news. A woman driving a black SUV tried to crash the White House gate....wonder if she was looking for a closer parking spot.

(Before the lectures start, I know this is a serious incident;just trying to add a little humor to the thread.)

I guess the shuttle buses quit running due to the shutdown.

• Upvote 2

Haven't heard back from the Ralph. Here's UND's explanation for why they bailed on providing shuttle service: "UND will not provide shuttle service between the parking ramp and the Ralph Engelstad Arena this season as a result of increased transportation costs and lack of sufficient utilization to support the service." Underutilized? Buses jam-packed after a game is more like it. And I sent UND parking an email of displeasure for their part in this bad decision. That address: und.parking@und.edu

The ubiquitous Jan Orvik just sent this missive out...

Parking changes announced for men’s hockey games

Parking lots around campus will be converted into event parking to accommodate the 2013-2014 UND Men’s Hockey Season. UND will not provide shuttle service between the parking ramp and the Ralph Engelstad Arena this season as a result of increased transportation costs and lack of sufficient utilization to support the service.

A "lack of sufficient utilization" clearly explains the long lines and the weekly convoy of standing room only buses. I'd laugh out loud if it didn't hurt so much. Sorry folks, UND is a joke. At least we have a first-class facility here in town to treat frostbite, right Danny?

Some of the earlier posters hit the nail on the freaking head...STH don't care about the casual fans. They would probably enjoy themselves more if none of us even bothered to go to the games.

Haven't heard back from the Ralph. Here's UND's explanation for why they baled on providing shuttle service: "UND will not provide shuttle service between the parking ramp and the Ralph Engelstad Arena this season as a result of increased transportation costs and lack of sufficient utilization to support the service."

so 6-10 busloads of people each game(or more) is not enough to support this service?

Haven't heard back from the Ralph. Here's UND's explanation for why they baled on providing shuttle service: "UND will not provide shuttle service between the parking ramp and the Ralph Engelstad Arena this season as a result of increased transportation costs and lack of sufficient utilization to support the service."

I guess before I removed it totally, I would have the shuttles run at designated times, maybe 15 or 20 minute increments, to make sure buses are full, rather than take a few fans at a time.

• Upvote 1