SiouxSports.com Forum

Discontinuing the UND Shuttle Service is a HUGE, UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

NoiseInsideMyHead

It's on, Grampa. 10,593 posts...hasn't anybody taught you what a winking smiley emoticon means?

If you are insulted by anything I've said, tough. Read carefully, and don't go getting defensive...the only party that needs to be defending itself here is the almighty U of ND.

try Gramma, not Grampa. And sweetie, she knows way more about a winking smiley emoticon and this board than you ever will.

• Upvote 1

Gramma it is. And Gramma, because you (most clearly) genuinely care about how UND treats its fans, I welcome your continued participation in this discussion (which I started, for whatever that's worth).

But please realize that when it come to parking, there are haves (the landed gentry, so to speak) and have-nots (the rest of us). I will therefore continue to defend the honor of well-meaning posters on this thread who have called out the 'bigwigs' and 'corporate elites' for having neither expressed empathy for, nor given due consideration to, persons directly impacted by UND's decision. 'Save your money, work harder, donate to UND and get yourself a parking permit' (a statement which I am attributing to no one) is not, in my opinion, a constructive response.

Enjoy the privileges your efforts have afforded you. I certainly won't tell you how to spend your hard-earned money, but I will tell the University of North Dakota how I think it should spend its less-hard-earned money. After all, he's a big boy now, and I'm sure he can take it.

Meh, as if I need your permission....

I have to add YaneA is quite short and it takes three times more steps for her to get to the Ralph than a 'normal' height person!!

BRING BACK THE FRIGGIN' SHUTTLE BUSES!!!!!!

And I have to add that Siouxcia is a nice person even if freakishly tall.

• Upvote 1

I have to add YaneA is quite short and it takes three times more steps for her to get to the Ralph than a 'normal' height person!!

BRING BACK THE FRIGGIN' SHUTTLE BUSES!!!!!!

Could't agree more - please back the average fans for once

You should apply for a job with UND relations. You are really good at defending the establishment no matter what the issue is. And since you are so good at accepting boilerplate BS explanations for things, you should at least get paid to dish them out. :silly:

This whole "UND has no obligation to do anything for anyone" mentality is 100% unacceptable. This is a publicly-funded institution, but sometimes they don't treat the public like stakeholders, they treat them as replaceable parts (If you don't like it, there's the door, get out). Well, that is what people will do if you spit in their faces enough times.

To paraphrase something you said above, people have no obligation to purchase tickets in the first place. And that is something UND (and REA for that matter) had better get thru their thick skulls before they alienate long-time (and loyal) supporters.

I would take a job with UND Relations. I get tired of the negative attitudes and comments that are thrown out when people have no idea what they are talking about. If someone wants to question why they dropped the shuttle, I don't have a problem with that. I would recommend that they contact the people in charge and ask the questions. But just getting on an internet forum and ranting, calling a simple decision like this a huge, unforgivable mistake or similar attitudes aren't productive in any way.

There might be very good reasons for decisions that are made. I used the shuttle from time to time, and I don't think it got very heavy usage. If it didn't get heavy usage and they were losing money on it, that is an acceptable reason for discontinuing it to me even though it is an inconvenience to me. People rant all the time about UND and other public bodies wasting money. Here is a case where they are trying to save a few dollars, and people complain about that. How about getting actual numbers before going overboard with the complaints. How many people were actually using the shuttle? There are several parking lots that are much closer to the REA than the ramp. They aren't as close as riding the shuttle. Many of them are only $5 versus the $10 in the ramp with the shuttle ride. There are options. There is parking around Albatross for $10. Again, not as close as the shuttle, but probably closer than some of the UND lots. Look at options before just complaining.

I agree, if people don't like it they don't have to buy tickets. You know when you buy the tickets what the parking options are. Since I don't have a parking pass, I've done a lot of things for parking. I've ridden shuttles from bars. I used to park at Memorial and ride the shuttle when that was an option, I even walked from there a few times. I've parked on the street. I've parked behind Tabula. I've ridden with a friend with an A sticker and parked by the Nursing building when that was an option. I've even used someone else's parking pass a few times. I find the best option available to me and I use it. But I don't go on the internet and rant about it if someone does something I don't like or agree with.

If someone wants to question why they dropped the shuttle, I don't have a problem with that. I would recommend that they contact the people in charge and ask the questions. But just getting on an internet forum and ranting, calling a simple decision like this a huge, unforgivable mistake or similar attitudes aren't productive in any way.

But I don't go on the internet and rant about it if someone does something I don't like or agree with.

Okay. You just won the Internet. Congratulations. Close down the forums, shut off the boards. It's over, Johnny.

1. You yourself getting online to complain about other people who are complaining online is an interesting tactic. Let us know how that works out for you.

2. When you say that this thread has not been productive, I disagree because if nothing else, it informed people of the decision within hours of being made public and gave people a forum to share their views and perhaps realize that they were not alone. Please note that I led with the facts (as reported by the legitimate media) in a timely manner and then presented an opinion. A robust discussion ensued, and I was taken to task by none other than Gramma (a/k/a Sioux-cia), whose gender and overall crankiness I shall never forget. ;)

3. You need to understand that many of us do reach out to the appropriate people. We just come on here first to float various arguments as trial balloons. For example, if someone like 82SiouxGuy either doesn't like or doesn't understand what we have to say, or doesn't care, we know it is perfectly safe to then use that same argument in dealing with sane and rational human beings.

• Upvote 3

How ever did anyone get to the game before the shuttle buses from the ramp?

I think they used to run shuttles from the Memorial Stadium lot before the ramp was there. The long-range solution to this problem is to build a parking ramp attached to REA. I wouldn't mind raising ticket prices, concession prices and whatever else to make it happen. The issue would we where to put it? A lot of the land around REA has been developed.

Knowing the price of a parking ramp, I wasn't completely kidding with my "monorail" comment.

That might be a solution too. You simply cannot have a 12,000 seat hockey area like REA, not have adequate parking and expect people to just accept it and not have problems with it. Imagine the Xcel Energy Center without it's own parking ramp?!?! There would be more problems than if Randy Moss was driving around St. Paul!

• Upvote 1