SiouxSports.com Forum

Discontinuing the UND Shuttle Service is a HUGE, UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

NoiseInsideMyHead

I agree that taking the shuttle busses away is bogus...I've used them whenever I get to GF for a game. The part that cracks me up is the complaining about the seats in the arena and the smoking policy. Most places are going smoke free so this shouldn't be too surprising. Sorry, should have been more specific about what is rediculous. And what is a Semrau??

So westsidesioux, you want to get rid of those who can't walk, or those with young children who won't make the trek in the cold. You are what's funny here. While I don't use the shuttles, there are a multitude of Sioux fans that do. You make me want to be a fan of some other team.

Really, my comment was that bad that you want to be a fan of some other team? Grow some skin!

I agree that taking the shuttle busses away is bogus...I've used them whenever I get to GF for a game. The part that cracks me up is the complaining about the seats in the arena and the smoking policy. Most places are going smoke free so this shouldn't be too surprising. Sorry, should have been more specific about what is rediculous. And what is a Semrau??

One could simply pop over to the Albatross for one, light one up outside over there, and scan back in.

Chris Semrau of REA. I was being a wise guy.

It seems as if more and more of these decisions are based around money. Sad but that's the world we live in now. If you don't have the money your options for "wants" are limited.

For the smoking ban they can say this is for the health of employee's and in line with the campus smoking rules but I call bs. State law requires smokers to be 20 ft from entryways to prevent smoke from entering the building. If smoke was entering the building why not move the smoking area further away? And if this is a campus rule why is alcohol still allowed to be served during the sporting events? If there is one health danger from attending an event at the Rea, it is definitely tied to alcohol. Drunk drivers and a history of fights at sporting events are linked with alcohol consumption. By eliminating the smoking section the Ralph is saving maybe 10 hours of paid work per game?

But alcohol sales will continue because money is to be made. Soon there will be a press release again on alcohol sales. It will probably be in line with the last one "to promote safe drinking practices we are once again shrinking the size of your beer cups to 16 oz's" prices will remain the same. This will just bring in more revenue and those that drink will still drink the same quantity per game.

It seems as if more and more of these decisions are based around money. Sad but that's the world we live in now. If you don't have the money your options for "wants" are limited.

For the smoking ban they can say this is for the health of employee's and in line with the campus smoking rules but I call bs. State law requires smokers to be 20 ft from entryways to prevent smoke from entering the building. If smoke was entering the building why not move the smoking area further away? And if this is a campus rule why is alcohol still allowed to be served during the sporting events? If there is one health danger from attending an event at the Rea, it is definitely tied to alcohol. Drunk drivers and a history of fights at sporting events are linked with alcohol consumption. By eliminating the smoking section the Ralph is saving maybe 10 hours of paid work per game?

But alcohol sales will continue because money is to be made. Soon there will be a press release again on alcohol sales. It will probably be in line with the last one "to promote safe drinking practices we are once again shrinking the size of your beer cups to 16 oz's" prices will remain the same. This will just bring in more revenue and those that drink will still drink the same quantity per game.

I would just be happy if they would get a larger cup for beer and fill it a little less. I can't tell you how many spills happen from people trying to walk up the steps with no margin for error.

Terrible decision that impacts me personally. I live 6 blocks east of the Memorial Stadium parking lot. Park there, walk the gerbil tube across Columbia, hop on shuttle at ramp and get whisked away to the game. I choose this system precisely for safety and convenience. Don't have to fight any traffic anywhere. Don't have to walk 3 blocks in cold and dark. Terrible decision!

And, yes, in my younger days, I did walk to and from games at the old Ralph despite how dark 2nd Av N is.

Just sent an email to the Ralph asking them to reconsider this revenue-enhancing, misguided decision.

then stay home or get a better parking spot.

I understand it is a business, but you don't have any compassion or sympathy for the elderly who are on fixed incomes who have been ticket holders forever?

This is a funny thread. People are complaining about the amenties of a 111 million dollar arena. Fans all over the country are envious of the issues that you guys are bitching about! Maybe this will keep the coddled masses out of the Ralph and keep the hardcore fans coming!

The 80 year old Sioux fan walk couldn't care less about the marble floors of the arena...they might possibly be concerned about the lack of a shuttle bus to drive them 3-4 blocks when the weather is -25 degrees. Or mom and pop bringing the 4 and 2 year old kids to the game.

Just a hunch, though...

• Upvote 2

are you suggesting they should allow smoking in the ralph?

Nope. I'm suggesting that these decisions are generally sugar coated to look good when they generally benefit only those who make money off them.

On the other hand maybe the smoking ban is for the better. Maybe a few Sioux fans will quit!

On the other hand maybe the smoking ban is for the better. Maybe a few Sioux fans will quit!

Why stop there? Let's make sure we New York City-size Coke and Mountain Dew cups while we're at it, too. Oh, and maybe make it mandatory that REA post signs next to the elevators and escalators encouraging folks to be healthy and take the stairs. :silly:

No, just let people go outside and smoke and then come back in when they are done. I honestly don't understand why this was okay for 11 years and now, all of a sudden, it's "unacceptable".

Makes me sick that we are turning into a St. Cloud state mentality with this one.

No, just let people go outside and smoke and then come back in when they are done. I honestly don't understand why this was okay for 11 years and now, all of a sudden, it's "unacceptable".

Because they might smell like smoke when they come back inside. Not like they didn't already smell like smoke in the first place. :(

SMOKING POLICY

Guests will no longer be allowed to exit and re-enter for the purpose of smoking during Ralph Engelstad Arena events. The policy applies to electronic cigarettes, smokeless cigarettes, and/or vapor cigarettes, as well as traditional cigarettes. Ralph Engelstad Arena is committed to the health and safety of our guests and employees and no longer desires to have cigarette smoke as part of the game day experience.

What a big unenforceable can of worms this is.

Why stop there? Let's make sure we New York City-size Coke and Mountain Dew cups while we're at it, too. Oh, and maybe make it mandatory that REA post signs next to the elevators and escalators encouraging folks to be healthy and take the stairs. :silly:

Those sugary Dippin' Dots aren't that good for kids. Get rid of 'em.