SiouxSports.com Forum

Discontinuing the UND Shuttle Service is a HUGE, UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

NoiseInsideMyHead

Per the Schlossman blog in the GF Herald:

The UND shuttle service from the parking ramp to Ralph Engelstad Arena has been discontinued for the 2013-2014 season. In place of the UND shuttle service, UND will provide additional paid parking options in the following new locations for the 2013-2014 season: UND Nursing School lot and the UND Medical School lot.

In addition to the new paid parking options, UND will continue to provide paid parking options in all of the same parking locations as last season, including the UND parking ramp and behind Archives Coffee Shop on Harvard Street.

Other than dropping the nickname, this has got to be the biggest single blunder I have seen from the University in the several years I have now lived here. I don't know when it started, but I've never not had the shuttle option. There have been nights that I wouldn't dream of having my family walk from the REA to any of the outlying parking locations, let alone the UND parking garage. Heck, waiting in line for the shuttle is borderline questionable on some nights when the temperature and wind conspire just so. This is about SAFETY, people. At least with the shuttle, you could linger in the lobby until the line shortened.

The REA may have amenities out the wazoo, but abundant parking is NOT one of them. The pathetic thing about the plan as announced is that the med school lot is pretty much already full on game nights. Other than the fact that those folks are often UND permit holders, I don't see how this is an "additional" parking option. And they're STILL going to charge to park in the garage. (I wonder how much.)

If this is about money, shame on everyone involved. The student shuttle drivers probably need the money the most, and they were very pleasant and personable despite the often challenging working conditions. If this is some sort of misguided attempt to drive up season ticket sales/upgraded club memberships, that is deplorable.

• Upvote 2

The UND shuttle service from the parking ramp to Ralph Engelstad Arena has been discontinued for the 2013-2014 season. In place of the UND shuttle service, UND will provide additional paid parking options in the following new locations for the 2013-2014 season: UND Nursing School lot and the UND Medical School lot.

wonder how much.)

If this is about money, shame on everyone involved.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Shuttle service = gas and money spent on a driver. Additional paid parking options = revenue.

• Upvote 1

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Shuttle service = gas and money spent on a driver. Additional paid parking options = revenue.

Oh please, how much could it have cost to run those shuttles? Based on how much money that arena brings in every game (not to mention their other events), it can't be "cost prohibitive". My dad (who is not exactly young anymore) used those shuttles every single game. Now what is he supposed to do, walk from the freaking ramp or the Memorial Stadium lot? There are many other loyal, dedicated fans of this program that are in the same boat. I park in the Nursing lot every day and it isn't all that big, not for an event as big as this is.

At some point, the Law of Diminishing Returns will kick in. Maybe REA doesn't believe that law applies to them, but if it does impact attendance, I don't want to hear them whine and complain about it. You reap what you sow.

In addition to the new paid parking options, UND will continue to provide paid parking options in all of the same parking locations as last season, including the UND parking ramp and behind Archives Coffee Shop on Harvard Street.

Other than dropping the nickname, this has got to be the biggest single blunder I have seen from the University in the several years I have now lived here. I don't know when it started, but I've never not had the shuttle option. There have been nights that I wouldn't dream of having my family walk from the REA to any of the outlying parking locations, let alone the UND parking garage. Heck, waiting in line for the shuttle is borderline questionable on some nights when the temperature and wind conspire just so. This is about SAFETY, people. At least with the shuttle, you could linger in the lobby until the line shortened.

The REA may have amenities out the wazoo, but abundant parking is NOT one of them. The pathetic thing about the plan as announced is that the med school lot is pretty much already full on game nights. Other than the fact that those folks are often UND permit holders, I don't see how this is an "additional" parking option. And they're STILL going to charge to park in the garage. (I wonder how much.)

If this is about money, shame on everyone involved. The student shuttle drivers probably need the money the most, and they were very pleasant and personable despite the often challenging working conditions. If this is some sort of misguided attempt to drive up season ticket sales/upgraded club memberships, that is deplorable.

whoa. try the decaf

Oh please, how much could it have cost to run those shuttles? Based on how much money that arena brings in every game (not to mention their other events), it can't be "cost prohibitive". My dad (who is not exactly young anymore) used those shuttles every single game. Now what is he supposed to do, walk from the freaking ramp or the Memorial Stadium lot? There are many other loyal, dedicated fans of this program that are in the same boat. I park in the Nursing lot every day and it isn't all that big, not for an event as big as this is.

At some point, the Law of Diminishing Returns will kick in. Maybe REA doesn't believe that law applies to them, but if it does impact attendance, I don't want to hear them whine and complain about it. You reap what you sow.

You totally took my comment the wrong way. Someone made this decision to save a few nickels in expenditures while adding a few dimes in revenue.

I agree 100% on your dad and other older fans like him...some might not be fond of having to drive out to a local bar in order to hop on a shuttle bus...very unfortunate decision.

• Upvote 1

I've only used the shuttles from the ramp a couple of times when I've been back in town for a holiday series; but I can now say that I won't be plunking down money to park there any more. The family and I will just ride a shuttle from a bar/restaurant.

Part of the appeal of actually paying to park there was getting a ride to the front door. I'm guessing that ramp will just sit there and be a lot more empty on game days! Why not try a slight cost increase instead of cutting a desirable service?

I think it's time for an email campaign; doesn't do a ton of good to vent on this board (although it usually feels good :)). With the kind of money the REA/UND takes in on game days, I think this decision wasn't very well thought out, both from a PR standpoint and from the standpoint of the comfort, convenience, and safety of our uber-loyal fans.

• Upvote 1

You totally took my comment the wrong way. Someone made this decision to save a few nickels in expenditures while adding a few dimes in revenue.

I agree 100% on your dad and other older fans like him...some might not be fond of having to drive out to a local bar in order to hop on a shuttle bus...very unfortunate decision.

Sorry, my bad, I guess I jumped to conclusions (again). This, along with the smoking "ban", are two of the stupidest things REA has done in a long, long time. I hope it doesn't hurt attendance.

This is a funny thread. People are complaining about the amenties of a 111 million dollar arena. Fans all over the country are envious of the issues that you guys are bitching about! Maybe this will keep the coddled masses out of the Ralph and keep the hardcore fans coming!

Thank you for your opinion Mr. Semrau. Have a nice day.

This is a funny thread. People are complaining about the amenties of a 111 million dollar arena. Fans all over the country are envious of the issues that you guys are bitching about! Maybe this will keep the coddled masses out of the Ralph and keep the hardcore fans coming!

There have been nights that I wouldn't dream of having my family walk from the REA to any of the outlying parking locations, let alone the UND parking garage. Heck, waiting in line for the shuttle is borderline questionable on some nights when the temperature and wind conspire just so. This is about SAFETY, people. At least with the shuttle, you could linger in the lobby until the line shortened.
So westsidesioux, you want to get rid of those who can't walk, or those with young children who won't make the trek in the cold. You are what's funny here. While I don't use the shuttles, there are a multitude of Sioux fans that do. You make me want to be a fan of some other team.

They aren't envious of freezing their faces off in <5 minutes in -60F windchills. You can argue it's a safety issue. And it's a takeaway...just human nature to react like this. This wasn't thought through...I'll bet they change their minds with enough "negative feedback".

I think it's time for an email campaign; doesn't do a ton of good to vent on this board (although it usually feels good :)). With the kind of money the REA/UND takes in on game days, I think this decision wasn't very well thought out, both from a PR standpoint and from the standpoint of the comfort, convenience, and safety of our uber-loyal fans.

I am pretty sure that the UND Parking Office controls the shuttle system and that this decision came from them, so any comments/emails should be directed there, rather than the REA.