SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

Not sure who I'd rather see them play. From watching BC-MN earlier in the year I'd say Minnesota has better goaltending and an overall better team. But small BC forwards will forever remain in the nightmares of Sioux fans everywhere.

Can't they get into the Quinnipiac regional with Cornell and Providence? :lol:

Not sure who I'd rather see them play. From watching BC-MN earlier in the year I'd say Minnesota has better goaltending and an overall better team. But small BC forwards will forever remain in the nightmares of Sioux fans everywhere.

My pick is BC, we owe our friends from Massachusetts a season ending loss after them ending all of ours in the last 8-10 years.

We are much more mobile on the back end now than we were the last time we played BC. I'd take my chances out east.

I don't think UND should fear UMN... They've been bailed out time and time again by their goalie. If you watch UMN play, they're giving up a shots.

I don't think the Gophers are playing like a team to fear either, but we owe BC a good butt-kicking for the last few times we've played them in the tourney.

We've kicked the rodents up and down the ice enough in the last 5-6 years :lol:

I don't think the Gophers are playing like a team to fear either, but we owe BC a good butt-kicking for the last few times we've played them in the tourney.

I don't know, I just think if UND can make the tourney, anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

I don't think UND should fear UMN... They've been bailed out time and time again by their goalie. If you watch UMN play, they're giving up a shots.

I would love to see MN roll thru the rest of the season undefeated...and then promptly diddle down their leg in the NCAA tournament.

Big 10 Regular Season Champions...Big 10 Playoff Champions...NCAA one-and-done.

Last time I checked, the Gophers (unfortunately) mopped up the X with the Sioux in the 2012 western regional...the memory of the miracle comeback at the Final Five was short-lived. :sad: Man, that Final Five game was a thing of beauty though, wasn't it?

• Upvote 4

Last time I checked, the Gophers (unfortunately) mopped up the X with the Sioux in the 2012 western regional...the memory of the miracle comeback at the Final Five was short-lived. :sad: Man, that Final Five game was a thing of beauty though, wasn't it?

Yeah, but we used up all our puck luck in that game...no bounces left for the regional rematch...

Yeah, but we used up all our puck luck in that game...no bounces left for the regional rematch...

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with that statement, but the last memory is usually the most-recent and that's my last memory of the Sioux/Gopher match-up. Of course, sadness was turned to joy in watching Gopher fans claim that they were the better team against BC two weeks later while my memory clearly recalls Minnesota being taken out behind the woodshed by Jerry York's boys.

The scary thing about the goofs is they simply do not lose. The past few weeks I have watched them and they don't look too much better than their opponents. A couple things I have noticed is their tendy is legit, they roll 4 lines with the best of them and they are probably the best in the country at blocking shots. I think this may be a down year for them offensivly. I haven't seen them dominate too many games and they are scoring more gritty goals than flashy ones. Again, they are extremely good at finding ways not to lose, even when they are not playing the best.

The scary thing about the goofs is they simply do not lose. The past few weeks I have watched them and they don't look too much better than their opponents. A couple things I have noticed is their tendy is legit, they roll 4 lines with the best of them and they are probably the best in the country at blocking shots. I think this may be a down year for them offensivly. I haven't seen them dominate too many games and they are scoring more gritty goals than flashy ones. Again, they are extremely good at finding ways not to lose, even when they are not playing the best.

That puck luck all evens out in the end.

In a way, the fact that they are getting consistently great goaltending should be a little scary. Goaltending is a major key in the NCAA tournament. Should Wilcox have an unfortunate moped accident though, that is another story. Then all of a sudden putting your eggs all in that basket could be an issue.

In a way, the fact that they are getting consistently great goaltending should be a little scary. Goaltending is a major key in the NCAA tournament. Should Wilcox have an unfortunate moped accident though, that is another story. Then all of a sudden putting your eggs all in that basket could be an issue.

This is true. The Gophers are one inujry away from the season going down the tubes. I would have very little faith In Shibrowski if it came to that.

Um, here's the video of the Shootout goal that didn't count.

I'm late to the party on this one, but when the puck crosses the line it is clearly well inside of the hole in the ice marking where the post should be, indicating it should have been a good goal. The puck may have gone under the post in this situation, but the post was a few inches to the side of where it should have been had Wilcox not kicked the net off.

I'm late to the party on this one, but when the puck crosses the line it is clearly well inside of the hole in the ice marking where the post should be, indicating it should have been a good goal. The puck may have gone under the post in this situation, but the post was a few inches to the side of where it should have been had Wilcox not kicked the net off.

Yea, it definitely should have been a goal. Watching the slow motion replay from behind the net, the MSU player's stick never even went over the hole in the ice where the goal peg goes, so there's no way the puck went over it. It clearly would have gone in the net, between the pipes, had the net been in place. The refs clearly didn't know about Section 10, Rule 83.5.

You guys are giving Minnesota WAY too much credit right now. Michigan State is a mediocre team with an 8-13-4 record and Minnesota was lucky to escape with one win at home this past weekend. The winning streak continues, yes, but there is lots to be concerned about if I'm Minnesota.

That team was playing with house money anyways, short-handed due to injuries it was amazing they made the run they did and won the Broadmoor Cup. Only so much you can do when your team is decimated like that.

My only point was that a win against BC is far more overdue than one against the Rodents.

I actually consider their defensemen their weakness. Wilcox makes them look pretty good.

Offensively, they've scored more goals than anyone in the country outside of BC, UNH, and Quinnipiac.

Disclaimer: I thought defense was a bit of a weakness last year also.

A Gopher fan can come in here and throw stats at me, but I have 2 words for you: Puck. Possession.

Needless to say I do not agree with the BTN guys who claim they have no weaknesses.

You guys are giving Minnesota WAY too much credit right now. Michigan State is a mediocre team with an 8-13-4 record and Minnesota was lucky to escape with one win at home this past weekend. The winning streak continues, yes, but there is lots to be concerned about if I'm Minnesota.

Not saying they are unbeatable, but having lost only two games to this point is a pretty good accomplishment. I think even gopher fans have stated they are concerned about the way they are getting it done, and I am sure some of them wouldn't mind them getting a wake up call before the tournament to refocus how they are playing. I, of course, wouldn't mind them sleep walking into the NCAA tournament, but I want them to lose enough games to have a first round matchup that can truly give them fits, and even oust them if they aren't ready. True, Michigan State is a mediocre team, but their goaltender isn't, and he has and will keep them in a lot of games.