SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

I don't think UND should fear UMN... They've been bailed out time and time again by their goalie. If you watch UMN play, they're giving up a shots.

I don't think any team should be feared in a one game scenario.

I don't see shots as being all that meaningful as a stat without some analysis though. Minnesota may give up shots but it isn't the quantity that matters. It is the quality. They do a good job keeping the shots to the outside and whenever they do give up good opportunities, Wilcox seems to consistently shut the door. That's what every team needs in the playoffs. I recall they were outshot by SCSU but a lot of that was MN was clearly in a defensive mindset in the 3rd period and SCSU was firing a lot of low percentage shots at the net. Shots alone mean nothing. I don't think you can fairly say that the 3rd ranked defense is only the product of the goalie.

Given we are not a team with a high caliber offense this season and they are, I think it is fair to say it wouldn't be a very good match up for us to see Minnesota in the NCAAs this year.

That team was playing with house money anyways, short-handed due to injuries it was amazing they made the run they did and won the Broadmoor Cup. Only so much you can do when your team is decimated like that.

My only point was that a win against BC is far more overdue than one against the Rodents.

I completely agree with you again. Given all of the injuries that happened two years ago, that Broadmoor run was absolutely amazing. Despite some nasty comments on here by some, that 2012 season exceeded expectations in my book.

I'm thinking the rules about the net coming off the moorings in a shoot-out needs a new look.

Basically:

- if the shooter touches the net with anything more than a stick -- no goal

- if the goalie causes the net to dislodge -- good goal (even if a shot is never taken)

• Upvote 2

Given we are not a team with a high caliber offense this season and they are, I think it is fair to say it wouldn't be a very good match up for us to see Minnesota in the NCAAs this year.

Having watched them numerous times, I don't see why UND couldn't beat them in a one-and-done scenario.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking the rules about the net coming off the moorings in a shoot-out needs a new look.

Basically:

- if the goalie causes the net to dislodge -- good goal (even if a shot is never taken)

Agreed.

Basically:

The fiasco that happened on Friday night is exactly why the NCAA needs to ditch shoot-outs. It's bad enough watching NHL'ers creeping towards the net trying to deke out a goalie 50 times all while pretending to remain in forward motion. The shoot-out is a joke.

Last time I checked, the Gophers (unfortunately) mopped up the X with the Sioux in the 2012 western regional...the memory of the miracle comeback at the Final Five was short-lived. :sad: Man, that Final Five game was a thing of beauty though, wasn't it?

If I recall I had to attend my brother in laws funeral that Saturday and gave you a a deal on my championship game ticket. I was home watching the game in my recliner. My kids gave me greif for being so quiet at the beginning of the game. Also received some obnoxious texts at the beginning of the game from rodent fans. They ate crow in the end!

I can't believe Minnesota has only lost 2 games to this point. Like others have said though, they're not a dominant team and shouldn't be overly feared by many. The one thing that may help them is having been #1 most of the season they've been getting what is more than likely the best effort of every team they play against. They're a very young team, so mistakes will happen. The offense is actually the concerning part of the team to me. The defense has its own share of problems some times, but what team doesn't?

Like SiouxForce said, they haven't been a very strong puck possession team this year, which can really bite you in the butt.

I can't believe Minnesota has only lost 2 games to this point. Like others have said though, they're not a dominant team and shouldn't be overly feared by many. The one thing that may help them is having been #1 most of the season they've been getting what is more than likely the best effort of every team they play against. They're a very young team, so mistakes will happen. The offense is actually the concerning part of the team to me. The defense has its own share of problems some times, but what team doesn't?

Like SiouxForce said, they haven't been a very strong puck possession team this year, which can really bite you in the butt.

Has any team in the country really been playing that great this year?

Having watched them numerous times, I don't see why UND couldn't beat them in a one-and-done scenario.

Read my comment. I never said UND couldn't. But anybody can win in a one game situation so that really isn't saying much.

I only stated they aren't a very good matchup for us and I think it is hard to argue that isn't true. They score much more per game than our club does and they are much more stingy on defense as well. They've also done it against a statistically tougher schedule than we have had (currently 4th in SoS while we are at 26).

Anything can happen in one game but I think I'd rather take my chances against a number of other teams before them.

Read my comment. I never said UND couldn't. But anybody can win in a one game situation so that really isn't saying much.

I only stated they aren't a very good matchup for us and I think it is hard to argue that isn't true. They score much more per game than our club does and they are much more stingy on defense as well. They've also done it against a statistically tougher schedule than we have had (currently 4th in SoS while we are at 26).

Anything can happen in one game but I think I'd rather take my chances against a number of other teams before them.

I want to see und against the goofs round 1 just because Lucia doesn't want this game to happen!

Basically:

Not sure I agree with you on the second statement...the chance of a skater hitting the net vs a goalie accidentally hitting the net is not even close (probably x100 or more). If you are talking about the MN game last weekend I really don't think Wilcox tried to kick the net off. On the flip side I do think the MSU guy deserves another shot. I would change your second statement to include a redo and if the goalie kicks the net off again then it's a goal.

Very true....but I too want the goofs round one.

I pretty much rant about this every February, but it is a disgrace to the game of College Hockey that the Beanpot games are not on National TV.

The Boston metropolis is arguably the greatest hotbed of college hockey and this is an unmatched winter tradition at the Gahden.

It's even more embarassing the lack of games on TV for BC in general, considering their success these past 14 years.

Add BC to that list, they look better than UMN

I pretty much rant about this every February, but it is a disgrace to the game of College Hockey that the Beanpot games are not on National TV.

The Boston metropolis is arguably the greatest hotbed of college hockey and this is an unmatched winter tradition at the Gahden.

It's even more embarassing the lack of games on TV for BC in general, considering their success these past 14 years.

I agree that it should be on TV, but I can also see the other side of it. When I went to the BU/UND series in November, I was absolutely blown away at how empty the arena was (both nights). They maybe pulled 4500 fans in an arena that seats closer to 7,000. From a network standpoint, that isn't exactly promising in terms of TV viewership if the teams can't even fill up their arenas.

I agree that it should be on TV, but I can also see the other side of it. When I went to the BU/UND series in November, I was absolutely blown away at how empty the arena was (both nights). They maybe pulled 4500 fans in an arena that seats closer to 7,000. From a network standpoint, that isn't exactly promising in terms of TV viewership if the teams can't even fill up their arenas.

Imagine if UND, UMN, SCSU, and Wisconsin had a similar yearly tournament. Attendance numbers would put the Beanpot to shame. But it will never happen because it would be awesome...and we can't have that.

Imagine if UND, UMN, Michigan, and Wisconsin had a similar yearly tournament. Attendance numbers would put the Beanpot to shame. But it will never happen because it would be awesome...and we can't have that.

Fixed your post. How many NCAA titles amongst that group? A lot.

Problem is, 3 of those 4 are B10 teams.

If you have DirecTV with the sports pack, you can watch the games.