SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

Fixed your post. How many NCAA titles amongst that group? A lot.

Problem is, 3 of those 4 are B10 teams.

No, you didn't. I was looking more from a regional perspective like the Beanpot(or at least as close as we can get in the midwest). I like what SCSU brings to the table and it's fun to make fun of their fans.

Then I thought about it, and we did have this tournament before. It was called the Final Five and it was great.

No, you didn't. I was looking more from a regional perspective like the Beanpot(or at least as close as we can get in the midwest). I like what SCSU brings to the table and it's fun to make fun of their fans.

North Dakota...multiple NCAA titles.

Minnesota...multiple NCAA titles.

Wisconsin...multiple NCAA titles.

SCSU - "it's fun to make fun of their fans."

Um...ok, if that's your criteria for great hockey tournament.

• Upvote 1

North Dakota...multiple NCAA titles.

Minnesota...multiple NCAA titles.

Wisconsin...multiple NCAA titles.

SCSU - "it's fun to make fun of their fans."

Um...ok, if that's your criteria for great hockey tournament.

The "make fun of their fans" was said in jest so no that's not the reason. I think every one of the other teams has a stronger rivalry with SCSU than Michigan and there is a ton of history and bad blood. Also, the regional perspective I mentioned that you conveniently ignored is another reason. SCSU is building a better program every year lately whether you'd like to recognize it or not and the Sioux have a good rivalry with them. Also, Michigan has the GLI.

The "make fun of their fans" was said in jest so no that's not the reason. I think every one of the other teams has a stronger rivalry with SCSU than Michigan and there is a ton of history and bad blood. Also, the regional perspective I mentioned that you conveniently ignored is another reason. SCSU is building a better program every year lately whether you'd like to recognize it or not and the Sioux have a good rivalry with them. Also, Michigan has the GLI.

So why not Denver? obviously geography, but they have National titles and bad blood with us at least

I get the GLI...I was picturing an imaginary perfect-world hockey tournament to rival the Beanpot. In my opinion, St Cloud State, while a great program with plenty of potential, just doesn't match up with Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. And for all the talk about St Cloud State, they just don't draw that well. Take the St Paul regional just a few years ago. You would think St Cloud would have packed the fans in for the championship game against Wisconsin. Instead, the whole place was primarily Badger fans. Even then, the attendance was around 5,000. St Cloud State fan support and travel-bility factor: Over-rated.

Like I said already with adding Michigan into the equation, 3 of the 4 teams I mentioned are in the Big 10, it's not like my tournament would happen anyways.

So why not Denver? obviously geography, but they have National titles and bad blood with us at least

That's exactly the kind of résumé I had in mind when I threw out the foursome of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. Denver would fit that job description as well.

I get the GLI...I was picturing an imaginary perfect-world hockey tournament to rival the Beanpot. In my opinion, St Cloud State, while a great program with plenty of potential, just doesn't match up with Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. And for all the talk about St Cloud State, they just don't draw that well. Take the St Paul regional just a few years ago. You would think St Cloud would have packed the fans in for the championship game against Wisconsin. Instead, the whole place was primarily Badger fans. Even then, the attendance was around 5,000. St Cloud State fan support and travel-bility factor: Over-rated.

Like I said already with adding Michigan into the equation, 3 of the 4 teams I mentioned are in the Big 10, it's not like my tournament would happen anyways.

3 of the 4 Beanpot teams are HEA.

Yes, but that's a 50+ year old tournament that pre-dates their conference affiliation with Hockey East. Plus they're all located in Boston. It's not like it is Harvard, Boston U, Boston College, and Maine. :)

RIght...I just didn't want you to feel it was a reason to discredit this "dream tourney." Heck, the B1G schools could probably use the extra non-conference games against each other!

I get the GLI...I was picturing an imaginary perfect-world hockey tournament to rival the Beanpot. In my opinion, St Cloud State, while a great program with plenty of potential, just doesn't match up with Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. And for all the talk about St Cloud State, they just don't draw that well.

I agree with what you said. While SCSU has a decent division I hockey program, they don't really put butts in the seat at opposition arenas. They're also a middle of the road Division II school.

Then lets just start a tourney every year called the

"Title Tourney"

Top four teams with most national titles are in......u want in...... win titles.

Host school is always the title leader.

This years tourney would be at Yost.

1st round

Wisconsin (6) @ Michigan (9)

Denver (7) @ UND (7)

• Upvote 1

RIght...I just didn't want you to feel it was a reason to discredit this "dream tourney." Heck, the B1G schools could probably use the extra non-conference games against each other!

Good points, Snake. And since we previously had the WCHA vs CCHA yearly when MN and WI would play MSU and MI, it would almost make sense to have the tournament be an NCHC vs Big 10 tournament with Denver and North Dakota each getting a turn at Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I like it!

Then lets just start a tourney every year called the

"Title Tourney"

Top four teams with most national titles are in......u want in...... win titles.

Host school is always the title leader.

This years tourney would be at Yost.

1st round

Wisconsin (6) @ Michigan (9)

Denver (7) @ UND (7)

I like this idea!

Good argument, but if we're talking titles west of Boston, you've got to include Denver in the equation in place of UMD.

however, if the conversation is about creating a western beanpot style the original beanpot has nothing to do with titles as harvard and northeastern are involved.

I pretty much rant about this every February, but it is a disgrace to the game of College Hockey that the Beanpot games are not on National TV.

The Boston metropolis is arguably the greatest hotbed of college hockey and this is an unmatched winter tradition at the Gahden.

It's even more embarassing the lack of games on TV for BC in general, considering their success these past 14 years.

Oh come on, the Dallas Northstars of Wisconsin ice capades tournament at the excel is a great tournament in the minds of those being paid to do the play by play. They told us so.

however, if the conversation is about creating a western beanpot style the original beanpot has nothing to do with titles as harvard and northeastern are involved.

The Beanpot itself is about Boston. My reference to the 'titles west of Boston' wasn't implying that Harvard and Northeastern were multiple-time title winners - I was just simply pointing towards the schools considered to be 'west.'

In the eyes of Bostonians, Penn State and Niagara are "western" schools. :silly:

Right! True story...at my dad's navy reunion about 6 years ago, he had one of his old sailor buddies from the Boston area convinced that mail was still deliveredy by the pony express in North Dakota.

Right! True story...at my dad's navy reunion about 6 years ago, he had one of his old sailor buddies from the Boston area convinced that mail was still deliveredy by the pony express in North Dakota.

I love telling those kinds of blatant lies. When I lived in the carolinas, I had quite a few people convinced that Nebraska didn't have any paved roads, and only about 60% of people had electricity.