SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

It was boring because Wisconsin played the trap the whole game.

Ahem, I have seen UND play the trap a lot this year. In fact, I have seen it lot more this season than others. I would call it smart defensive play. Actually, all team play it... Especially in the NHL.

I've been a rabid college hockey fan since '87 and I do not miss the old WCHA one bit. The WCHA got watered down with when it went to 12 teams. Omaha, Bemidji, Anchorage, etc. Why would I ever miss playing those schools? There is one program I miss playing and that's UND.

Now we have much more room for fun non conference series against programs like Notre Dame and BC. We still kept our in-state rivals on our schedule. We're on national TV more. As a Gopher fan I'm not sure what's not to like.

Omaha has really come along as a program since Blais was hired and have an $87 Million Arena in the works, if you can't see their potential I have nothing for your. Bemidji State made their own little niche and produced some good talent like Matt Read and made a trip to the Frozen Four. Anchorage...do you remember the 2011 WCHA Playoffs? I believe they ended your season at Mariucci so they were never a guaranteed win with how they played. I don't know how that's considered "watered down".

What about playing Denver or CC(granted this year is an exception)? What about the Final Five?

Hasn't UND been on will be on national TV using Mariucci's definition of national TV? Whereas the Gophs have been on will be on a total of 10 times? Where is this great national exposure that Mariucci is talking about?

By the regular season is over, UND will have been on CBSSN six-times and NBCSN. Also, UND will have been on Root Sports as well as NESN. Not too bad if you ask me.

Bemidji State made their own little niche and produced some good talent like Matt Read and made a trip to the Frozen Four. Anchorage...do you remember the 2011 WCHA Playoffs? I believe they ended your season at Mariucci so they were never a guaranteed win with how they played. I don't know how that's considered "watered down".

Wasn't it 2005 or 2006 when Alaska-Anchorage made the Final Five for the first time ever? I know UND defeated them in the semi-finals and their goalie was totally robbed of all-tournament team honors. Pretty sure it was the Blake Wheeler year when Minnesota won the title.

It was awesome watching A-A take the ice for the Thursday game...standing ovation from all the fans in attendance as the Seawolves were welcomed to the Final Five for the first time. That was pretty cool. You couldn't help but cheer for them.

But I'm sure the Big 10 Hockey Tournament will have memories just as good as that one...

Well than you must have been very tired because it was a very exciting game.

I'll spot you the fact that I was wiped out from a late-night on Wednesday night. Dead crowd...dim lights in the Kohl Center...neutral zone trap...it was the perfect storm...zzzzzz....

The 1986-87 WCHA consisted of this:

North Dakota

Minnesota

Denver

Wisconsin

Northern Michigan

Colorado College

Michigan Tech

Minnesota Duluth

North Dakota and Minnesota were the only teams above .500 in the league that year. And you're complaining about a watered-down league AFTER that?

Don't expect logic from him. Yeah, it was real competitive back then when UND beat up on Michigan Tech 12-2, and Bob Joyce and Tony Hrkac are putting up 15 or so points in a weekend against them. When you have a league as competitive as the WCHA had been the last 5 years or so, when you can go from 7th to 2nd in a weekend, that is hardly watered down. The Big Ten league is so exciting that he has to spend all his time here to tame his excitement level.

Don't expect logic from him. Yeah, it was real competitive back then when UND beat up on Michigan Tech 12-2, and Bob Joyce and Tony Hrkac are putting up 15 or so points in a weekend against them. When you have a league as competitive as the WCHA had been the last 5 years or so, when you can go from 7th to 2nd in a weekend, that is hardly watered down. The Big Ten league is so exciting that he has to spend all his time here to tame his excitement level.

I wonder how many alum, fans, or students of the Big10 schools could tell you they even have a hockey conference? 5, 10 percent on a good day.

I wonder how many alum, fans, or students of the Big10 schools could tell you they even have a hockey conference? 5, 10 percent on a good day.

The 2005 Frozen Four in Columbus was a hoot. Every Ohio State fan I saw walking around campus had absolutely NO IDEA that the NCAA Frozen Four was being played that weekend. Several I talked to thought fans were in town to see the Buckeye spring football practice. Hockey fever in Big 10 Country. :lol:

It got watered down because it was 12 teams and the programs that were added are either bad or average at best. Mankato, Omaha, AA, and Bemidji. Anyone who thinks that the WCHA got better by adding those four programs is just clueless.

It got watered down because it was 12 teams and the programs that were added are either bad or average at best. Mankato, Omaha, AA, and Bemidji. Anyone who thinks that the WCHA got better by adding those four programs is just clueless.

AA was added by agreement between the CCHA and WCHA. Each league had to take one of the Alaska schools.

You Minnesota homers can't have it both ways. On one hand, it's "pat pat my back, we have more D1 schools than anyone...more kids in the state playing hockey...North Star Challenge Cup...great tradition in the entire state..." and on the other hand its "Bemidji and Mankato suck and don't even deserve to be playing schools the calibre of the Gophers...St Cloud is terrible...watered-down league...UMD can't hold a candle to the Gopher program..".

Which way do you want it?

• Upvote 3

AA was added by agreement between the CCHA and WCHA. Each team had to take one of the Alaska schools.

You Minnesota homers can't have it both ways. On one hand, it's "pat pat my back, we have more D1 schools than anyone...more kids in the state playing hockey...North Star Challenge Cup...great tradition in the entire state..." and on the other hand its "Bemidji and Mankato suck and don't even deserve to be playing schools the calibre of the Gophers...St Cloud is terrible...watered-down league...UMD can't hold a candle to the Gopher program..".

No one can make a logical argument that the WCHA improved by adding those 4 schools.

I want it the way it is now. We're a Big Ten university and we're now in the Big Ten. We should still play the in state schools every year but they should be non-conference games.

No one can make a logical argument that the WCHA improved by adding those 4 schools.

I want it the way it is now. We're a Big Ten university and we're now in the Big Ten. We should still play the in state schools every year but they should be non-conference games.

Well, enjoy Big 10 hockey now. Hopefully it is as fun as a watered-down football and basketball conference once Rutgers and Maryland join the party.

• Upvote 1

AA was added by agreement between the CCHA and WCHA. Each league had to take one of the Alaska schools.

Yeah, and Mariucci was the one toeing the party line arguing so vehemently why Minnesota needed to be playing those teams on a yearly basis, even at the demise of the rivalry with UND. Talk about having it both ways. I would argue that the Big Ten is one of the easiest leagues to win now. You have 2 or 3 contenders, and the rest are no better than the Mankato's or Bemidji's of the world, except name recognition.

Well, enjoy Big 10 hockey now. Hopefully it is as fun as a watered-down football and basketball conference once Rutgers and Maryland join the party.

My sentiments exactly. Enjoy the 6 team conference where hockey is, at best, the 3rd most important sport for all schools involved.

I hope to see UofMtc soon if and when they ever decide to start playing us again because it is absolutely the best rivalry in all of college hockey and the fact that the Big 10 ended it is a travesty.

Yeah, and Mariucci was the one toeing the party line arguing so vehemently why Minnesota needed to be playing those teams on a yearly basis, even at the demise of the rivalry with UND. Talk about having it both ways. I would argue that the Big Ten is one of the easiest leagues to win now. You have 2 or 3 contenders, and the rest are no better than the Mankato's or Bemidji's of the world, except name recognition.

Exactly, except there is no way Ohio State and Penn State are even close to Mankato State. Even MSU has been bad for quite awhile, they have really struggled in recent years. Arguably there are only 3 solid teams with only one being a top notch hockey school in Minnesota (Mich won too many chips in the 50's).

But Mariucci and other Gopher fans would prefer to see Big 10 hockey expansion. Can you imagine the intensity of a Minnesota/Rutgers college hockey game on a Tuesday night in New Brunswick? Or an Ohio State/Indiana hockey battle royale in Columbus on a Thursday? Maryland/Michigan State? There is NO WAY 70-some years of North Dakota/Minnesota could replicate potential future Big 10 rivalries like that!

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything because it would have came out my nose reading this. Nothing gives me chills like the potential of a Minnesota/Rutgers tilt on Tuesday night in New Brunswick HA! :lol:

What do you call Ohio State and Penn? Premier college hockey programs? Was it not last year Penn was beaten by ASU's club team?

But Mariucci and other Gopher fans would prefer to see Big 10 hockey expansion. Can you imagine the intensity of a Minnesota/Rutgers college hockey game on a Tuesday night in New Brunswick? Or an Ohio State/Indiana hockey battle royale in Columbus on a Thursday? Maryland/Michigan State? There is NO WAY 70-some years of North Dakota/Minnesota could replicate potential future Big 10 rivalries like that!

In Heaven forgot that great match up of Ohio State and Indiana. MafiaMan you do make me laugh a lot with your comments. Heck I even laugh when you blast me. Have to laugh because it is witty and deserves a good chuckle.

What do you call Ohio State and Penn? Premier college hockey programs? Was it not last year Penn was beaten by ASU's club team?

I do give Penn State some credit, smokey. They have the financial backing and facilities to be a good Big 10 hockey program. Contrast that with Ohio State, who would prefer to eliminate the men's and women's hockey programs altogether and instead spend that money on new third jerseys and helmet stickers for the football team!

• Upvote 1

Exactly, except there is no way Ohio State and Penn State are even close to Mankato State. Even MSU has been bad for quite awhile, they have really struggled in recent years. Arguably there are only 3 solid teams with only one being a top notch hockey school in Minnesota (Mich won too many chips in the 50's).

Umm Ohio State is currently a spot ahead of Mankato in the PWR but you claim they're not close to Mankato as a program? Nice logic. This is a perfect example of UND fans underrating the Big Ten. OSU is actually very solid this year.

The Gophers, UW, and Michigan are elite. Michigan State has multiple national titles themselves and Penn State has everything in place to be a good program. The Big Ten is not and will never be the disaster that UND fans so badly want it to be.