SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

In the WCHA that game would've been on a Friday night, not a Thursday night. That alone is worth about 2k more attendance is my guess. And that's on the Big Ten (Network).

At least you were able to watch the game and see the empty seats. I have no idea how North Dakota is drawing this year, because they are seldom on tv. Big and Big Ten Network are doing just fine.
  • Upvote 1

At least you were able to watch the game and see the empty seats. I have no idea how North Dakota is drawing this year, because they are seldom on tv. Big and Big Ten Network are doing just fine.

I'll probably burst into flames from spontaneous combustion for saying this,but.....God I miss the Gophers. :p #TheyStillSuck

I'd say UND is drawing just fine there Troll.

With out the HCC at the goph.....Vikings Field UND is tops in country........again .

In the WCHA that game would've been on a Friday night, not a Thursday night. That alone is worth about 2k more attendance is my guess. And that's on the Big Ten (Network).

Exactly,

According to the announcers they are expecting a much bigger crowd for the second game, and one would think that a few more sconnies will show up on the weekend night.

I got so bored watching I fell asleep though so I really didn't get a chance to scan the crowd.

Like those seats would have been filled if the Gophers and Badgers were still in the WCHA? I'm pretty sure the fact that the Big Ten hockey conference had zero impact on the attendance for tonight's game, but don't let that get in the way of your silly little witchhunt.

It's called GPL Dave...give it a try...

Like those seats would have been filled if the Gophers and Badgers were still in the WCHA? I'm pretty sure the fact that the Big Ten hockey conference had zero impact on the attendance for tonight's game, but don't let that get in the way of your silly little witchhunt.

This! :D

The Big Ten hockey conference and BTN are the best things to ever happen to college hockey in terms of potentially getting more national exposure. Any whining about it by fans of non-Big Ten teams is nothing more than sour grapes in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

The Big Ten hockey conference and BTN are the best things to ever happen to college hockey in terms of potentially getting more national exposure. Any whining about it by fans of non-Big Ten teams is nothing more than sour grapes in my opinion.

This is what I've been saying since day one. Anti Big Ten hockey people are incredibly short sighted. They're also jealous of the national exposure we get from our own national network.

• Upvote 1

Got your Big 10 Hockey Conference Tournament tickets yet, Dave?

This is what I've been saying since day one. Anti Big Ten hockey people are incredibly short sighted. They're also jealous of the national exposure we get from our own national network.

Yeah, people who did not want the old WCHA broken up are really short sighted, because that league sucked right? I'm anti BIG10 because it broke up the best conference in college hockey to essentially create a 6-team circle jerk.

However, I'm not jealous that Minnesota and Wisconsin joined a conference of 'like-minded' schools where hockey is the 3rd most important sport at every single one of their respective institutions and it shows in attendance. I know every conference will be just fine moving forward but if you don't miss the old WCHA, it makes it look as though this is your inaugural year following college hockey.

• Upvote 2

Yea, I'm sure that Thursday night Gopher/Wisconsin game was a ratings bonanza for the Big Ten Network. I watched about 15 minutes of the first period...and almost dozed off. Literally.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, people who did not want the old WCHA broken up are really short sighted, because that league sucked right? I'm anti BIG10 because it broke up the best conference in college hockey to essentially create a 6-team circle jerk.

However, I'm not jealous that Minnesota and Wisconsin joined a conference of 'like-minded' schools where hockey is the 3rd most important sport at every single one of their respective institutions and it shows in attendance. I know every conference will be just fine moving forward but if you don't miss the old WCHA, it makes it look as though this is your inaugural year following college hockey.

I've been a rabid college hockey fan since '87 and I do not miss the old WCHA one bit. The WCHA got watered down with when it went to 12 teams. Omaha, Bemidji, Anchorage, etc. Why would I ever miss playing those schools? There is one program I miss playing and that's UND.

Now we have much more room for fun non conference series against programs like Notre Dame and BC. We still kept our in-state rivals on our schedule. We're on national TV more. As a Gopher fan I'm not sure what's not to like.

Anybody notice the Wisconsin center on the faceoff at the end right after they had been called for a penalty just crosscheck and tackle the Gopher center to the ground? Wisco was lucky they didn't face a 6-on-3 to end the game as their center wasn't even looking for the drop of the puck and just went straight at the Gopher center.

I've been a rabid college hockey fan since '87 and I do not miss the old WCHA one bit. The WCHA got watered down with when it went to 12 teams. Omaha, Bemidji, Anchorage, etc. Why would I ever miss playing those schools? There is one program I miss playing and that's UND.

Now we have much more room for fun non conference series against programs like Notre Dame and BC. We still kept our in-state rivals on our schedule. We're on national TV more. As a Gopher fan I'm not sure what's not to like.

I would not call the Big10 network a national network. Not when it is only available on a sport packages for extra money. They had to create the network since they got so little coverage to start with.

Yea, I'm sure that Thursday night Gopher/Wisconsin game was a ratings bonanza for the Big Ten Network. I watched about 15 minutes of the first period...and almost dozed off. Literally.

Well than you must have been very tired because it was a very exciting game. Im so tired of people saying UW is boring to watch. They have ELITE offensive talent with Kerdiles, Mersch, Zengerle, Barnes and they forced Wilcox to make some stunning saves last night. They always have skilled puck moving d-men as well.

The 1986-87 WCHA consisted of this:

North Dakota

Minnesota

Denver

Wisconsin

Northern Michigan

Colorado College

Michigan Tech

Minnesota Duluth

North Dakota and Minnesota were the only teams above .500 in the league that year. And you're complaining about a watered-down league AFTER that?

The 1986-87 WCHA consisted of this:

North Dakota

Minnesota

Denver

Wisconsin

Northern Michigan

Colorado College

Michigan Tech

Minnesota Duluth

North Dakota and Minnesota were the only teams above .500 in the league that year. And you're complaining about a watered-down league AFTER that?

Ha! yeah, I am not sure how in the world that's a watered down league. :)

Well than you must have been very tired because it was a very exciting game. Im so tired of people saying UW is boring to watch. They have ELITE offensive talent with Kerdiles, Mersch, Zengerle, Barnes and they forced Wilcox to make some stunning saves last night. They always have skilled puck moving d-men as well.

It was boring because Wisconsin played the trap the whole game.