SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

19 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

How do we know NDSU offered a home and Home series? I say not since they made us come there twice without a return game. Like I said before all you Bison fans are a bunch of whiners about the nickel trophy and the past rivalry. Half of your fan base wasn’t even a fan of NDSU when we last played.

Ive already stated I dont really care about the nickle anymore. If we play you we play you if not we dont. No whining here. Fact is you cant change the history of your actions no matter how much you try to rationalize and justify them. You screwed up. Own it and move on.

How do we know about the contracts? Because Faison negotiated everything through the media. LOL Again Faison wasnt your friend. You ended up having to come to Fargo twice  and for less money because Faison screwed up. You could of had a home and home but Faison INSISTED the game be played every year.

You cant change documented history.

28 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Ive already stated I dont really care about the nickle anymore. If we play you we play you if not we dont. No whining here. Fact is you cant change the history of your actions no matter how much you try to rationalize and justify them. You screwed up. Own it and move on.

You clearly feel slighted if you think UND "screwed up". If you don't care, then quit complaining about "rationalizing and justifying" feelings, though its hard to believe with how much you have to say about the subject. UND absolutely didn't "screw up", they did what was best for themselves, something NDSU, as an institution, has a long history of doing and there is absolutely zero doubt to a logical person that they wouldn't have dropped the series the second it was convenient for them. In fact Gene Taylor basically admitted this exact thing, saying he'd like to maintain the rivalry "at least through the transition". Just because it happened to be beneficial for UND to drop the series first means you get to be all salty about it for going on 15 years now. 

28 minutes ago, bison73 said:

How do we know about the contracts? Because Faison negotiated everything through the media. LOL Again Faison wasnt your friend. You ended up having to come to Fargo twice  and for less money because Faison screwed up. You could of had a home and home but Faison INSISTED the game be played every year.

Nice revisionist history. There are plenty of articles on the subject where GT was the one giving the quotes to the Fargo media out of the blue. They pushed the narrative more than anyone. On top of that, GT kept moving the goal posts every time a deal got close. That is well documented as well (including off the record comments about NDSU never traveling to Grand Forks, despite him sending contracts where they would, which he would have never signed. Bubba finally called his bluff and accepted a deal favoring NDSU just to get the games on the schedule.

Emails obtained through an open record request showed that Taylor and Faison were close to agreeing to a home-and-home deal to play in Fargo in 2015 and in Grand Forks in 2017. But beginning in January, Taylor began changing terms of the contract.

Actually, what's even more hilarious is that Gene Taylor was apparently negotiating contracts in the media way back in 2003 when Roger Thomas clearly indicated he wasn't ready to sign them. 
https://inforum.com/content/bison-sioux-grid-rivalry-continue

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You cant change documented history.

It was more Bubba telling Faison what needs to be done.  Even though it wasnt advantageous to UND, he wanted to play the game.

• Upvote 3

One thing to note for those bizun fans saying we could've had a home and home if we didn't demand a game every year, as soon as we agreed to that home and home the goalposts were moved.  I have no reason to believe the same wouldn't have happened had we agreed to a home and home a couple years earlier.

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

One thing to note for those bizun fans saying we could've had a home and home if we didn't demand a game every year, as soon as we agreed to that home and home the goalposts were moved.  I have no reason to believe the same wouldn't have happened had we agreed to a home and home a couple years earlier.

exactly.  Taylor lied so much I don't think he even knew what the truth was.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

You clearly feel slighted if you think UND "screwed up". If you don't care, then quit complaining about "rationalizing and justifying" feelings, though its hard to believe with how much you have to say about the subject. UND absolutely didn't "screw up", they did what was best for themselves, something NDSU, as an institution, has a long history of doing and there is absolutely zero doubt to a logical person that they wouldn't have dropped the series the second it was convenient for them. In fact Gene Taylor basically admitted this exact thing, saying he'd like to maintain the rivalry "at least through the transition". Just because it happened to be beneficial for UND to drop the series first means you get to be all salty about it for going on 15 years now. 

You guys forget that RT chose to drop all scheduled meetings with NDSU in all sports in an attempt to hurt our transition to DI.  In the end we had a very successful transition, I won't bore you with all the big wins.  Your transition was less than successful by anyone's standard and you are still paying for your actions today.  So yes UND did screw up but hey believe whatever you want.  

Can we all just agree that both schools did what they thought was best for their football program at the time.  Whether it was right or wrong, that's up for debate.  Can we move on from all that crap and focus on the fact that starting next year, we will be playing each other every year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

You guys forget that RT chose to drop all scheduled meetings with NDSU in all sports in an attempt to hurt our transition to DI.  

You didn't mention that NDSU choose to do the same and not schedule UND during their transition out of spite even after Tom Buning reached out in 2005 (during NDSU's transition) to try to get all sports outside of football back on the schedule. NDSU refused and continued to hold a grudge for over a decade.

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You didn't mention that NDSU choose to do the same and not schedule UND during their transition out of spite even after Tom Buning reached out in 2005 (during NDSU's transition) to try to get all sports outside of football back on the schedule. NDSU refused and continued to hold a grudge for over a decade.

"But, but you did it first"

45 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

You guys forget that RT chose to drop all scheduled meetings with NDSU in all sports in an attempt to hurt our transition to DI.  In the end we had a very successful transition, I won't bore you with all the big wins.  Your transition was less than successful by anyone's standard and you are still paying for your actions today.  So yes UND did screw up but hey believe whatever you want.  

We killed the series with the Jacks, but once we moved up we started playing again right away. USD killed the series with the Jacks but once they moved up they started playing right away. USD killed the Bison series but somehow Gene Taylor forgave the Coyotes, but still held a grudge against us. So it’s not 100% our fault.

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

RT and UND f’d up in 2003. No protective argument from me. 

At time, it made sense for the football team to discontinue the series because of how the D-II playoffs were calculated (though it was changed a year or two later). Other sports could have continued but I'm sure at some point UND fans wouldn't have enjoyed the competitive disadvantage UND was at playing against a D-1 team. 

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Nice revisionist history. There are plenty of articles on the subject where GT was the one giving the quotes to the Fargo media out of the blue. They pushed the narrative more than anyone. On top of that, GT kept moving the goal posts every time a deal got close. That is well documented as well (including off the record comments about NDSU never traveling to Grand Forks, despite him sending contracts where they would, which he would have never signed. Bubba finally called his bluff and accepted a deal favoring NDSU just to get the games on the schedule.

Actually, what's even more hilarious is that Gene Taylor was apparently negotiating contracts in the media way back in 2003 when Roger Thomas clearly indicated he wasn't ready to sign them. 
https://inforum.com/content/bison-sioux-grid-rivalry-continue

So I feel slighted because I said und  screwed up????? We will just stop there as the rest of your post is equally hog wash.  But please carry on. Wow

30 minutes ago, bison73 said:

So I feel slighted because I said und  screwed up????? We will just stop there as the rest of your post is equally hog wash.  But please carry on. Wow

Probably a good choice to stop there and not get into the rest since it involves actual documented articles that show your "facts" aren't quite what you think they are.

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hindsight, but the f up was not moving to D1 at the same time.  Had we moved at the same time, the entire FCS hierarchy is likely different than what it is now.

17 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Should have went D1 when SU did.  For that matter, should have went when Montana did.

Very fair points and no argument from me on that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

It wasn't just Roger Thomas, he had help with Kupchella and Phil Harmeson. UND is still paying for their arrogance and lack of testicles..

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hindsight, but the f up was not moving to D1 at the same time.  Had we moved at the same time, the entire FCS hierarchy is likely different than what it is now.

Disagree on this entirely.  Chapman originally wanted to take NDSU hockey DI, but when the Fargo voters said no to arena at the Fargo Dome and later downtown, he got on the DI trail quickly.  In the meantime, UND was digesting the Ralph and the Alerus and didn’t know how it would work financially until years later.  Which the Ralph be a financial drain or would the sell outs continue?  Any corporate executive would have made the same decision that Kupchella did?  The Big Sky was waiting and didn’t want NDSU and SDSU to force things down their throat.

45 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Disagree on this entirely.  Chapman originally wanted to take NDSU hockey DI, but when the Fargo voters said no to arena at the Fargo Dome and later downtown, he got on the DI trail quickly.  In the meantime, UND was digesting the Ralph and the Alerus and didn’t know how it would work financially until years later.  Which the Ralph be a financial drain or would the sell outs continue?  Any corporate executive would have made the same decision that Kupchella did?  The Big Sky was waiting and didn’t want NDSU and SDSU to force things down their throat.

UND made the responsible choice at the time, but it has proven to be the wrong choice 15 years later.  Hence the use of the word "hindsight" to begin my prior post.