SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

On 2/2/2019 at 4:04 AM, Milo said:

Let’s put a joint on the UND side and a 2 cups of coffee on the NDSU side.   If. SDSU gets in the act their side will have a can of Joose. What does USDs side get?  

Right there Milo you let down your guard and exposed yourself as a poseur. 

9 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

These buffalo chips are giving me a clear vision.... like a buffalo chip emoji but no smile

That would work. I am looking forward to the yearly hoopla the game brings. 

I’ve missed it. Sioux and Bison fans congregating at the water hole. Trash talking before the game, squabbling during the game. Buying each other drinks after the game. Was a good time 

1 hour ago, North Dakota said:

I still don't understand why the Nickel can't be played for, it's a copy of US currency. The NCAA has nothing to say about a regular season game trophy.

I think UND (through the AG office) with that NCAA agreement laid all it's arrows out on the NCAA's desk to keep the Sioux name, if they could get the approval of both Reservations. Soon thereafter, they got ambushed by a Standing Rock arrow. UND gave up it's right to fight back. Now suffering a slow painful logo death, which is still flopping like an almost dead fish. The buffalo laughed, and still are. Probably the worst college nickname fiasco death in history.

Therefore, UND will not promote the Sioux imagery again (swallowing embarrassment and political correctness). Now, The Ralph is on a time clock with their agenda till 2030. The NCAA agreement had some Sioux concessions and UND will honor some of that, but time will wear on that too.

Sioux will eventually end up in a UND closet in the same box as the Flickertails are in now.

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I think UND (through the AG office) with that NCAA agreement laid all it's arrows out on the NCAA's desk to keep the Sioux name, if they could get the approval of both reservations and they got ambushed by a Standing Rock arrow. UND gave up it's right to fight back. Now suffering a slow painful logo death, which is still flopping like an almost dead fish. All the buffalo laughed, and still are. Probably the worst college nickname fiasco death in history.

Therefore, UND will not promote the Sioux imagery again (swallowing embarrassment and political correctness). Now, The Ralph is on a time clock with their attitude till 2030. The NCAA agreement had some Sioux concessions and UND will honor some of that, but time will wear on that too.

Sioux will eventually end up in a UND closet in the same box as the Flickertails are in now.

(Probably the worst college nickname fiasco death in history.)  WE'RE #1, WE'RE #1, WE'RE #1!!!!   We totally did dominate if this was a contest!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I think UND (through the AG office) with that NCAA agreement laid all it's arrows out on the NCAA's desk to keep the Sioux name, if they could get the approval of both Reservations. Soon thereafter, they got ambushed by a Standing Rock arrow. UND gave up it's right to fight back. Now suffering a slow painful logo death, which is still flopping like an almost dead fish. The buffalo laughed, and still are. Probably the worst college nickname fiasco death in history.

Therefore, UND will not promote the Sioux imagery again (swallowing embarrassment and political correctness). Now, The Ralph is on a time clock with their agenda till 2030. The NCAA agreement had some Sioux concessions and UND will honor some of that, but time will wear on that too.

Still none of that has anything to do with the Nickel trophy. It's a copy of US currency. The NCAA would have nothing to say about it being used as a trophy between UND and NDSU regular season FB game. It may not even be a Sioux Indian head on it.

How bout this: Keep the idea of playing for an over sized coin trophy.  Instead of the buffalo nickel, create a Nickel minted with one side as a generic buffalo, and the other side as a generic hawk.  Don't use the current logos, as those can change over the years.  Sure what made the Nickel Trophy awesome was that is was an actually minted coin that existed.  That's fine.  A specially minted coin displaying animals that represent the mascots of both schools would be great.  Keeps the tradition of playing for "The Nickel" only with an updated feel.  

6 hours ago, North Dakota said:

Still none of that has anything to do with the Nickel trophy. It's a copy of US currency. The NCAA would have nothing to say about it being used as a trophy between UND and NDSU regular season FB game. It may not even be a Sioux Indian head on it.

I'd think it's not about what the NCAA would say. We'll never get there.

The point I'm making is that UND would not allow Indian imagery after all that's happened.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:50 AM, Milo said:

How about Elizabeth Warren on the UND side of the wampum and of course tHe iconic Buffalo on the other?

Why, she has nothing to do with us being the North Dakota Fighting Hawks. How about a Hawk on one side and Buffalo sh*t on the other. 

• Upvote 2