SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, SWSiouxMN said:

Not only that, but I’d work with USD too to come up something with them.  Renew both trophy games by 2020.

I agree with this! Lets just make a new trophy with SU and start a new one with SD

21 hours ago, darell1976 said:

2005 FCS NDSU at DII UND?

2007 FCS NDSU at DII UND?

2009 FCS NDSU at DI transfer UND?

yeah that would’ve happen. To this date you guys don’t like to give up a home game to play a non FBS team.

At this point you are correct. Why should we play at a smaller school for less money when you dont have to? Back then it was a totally different scenario. We were on the road alot during the transition.  Remember we were willing to keep the series going. You werent. Nothing you can say changes that.

1 minute ago, bison73 said:

At this point you are correct. Why should we play at a smaller school for less money when you dont have to? Back then it was a totally different scenario. We were on the road alot during the transition.  Remember we were willing to keep the series going. You werent. Nothing you can say changes that.

In the beginning you were willing to keep the series going, but were stubborn to even play us in football later on unlike SDSU who let things in the past stay In the past and do a home and home in 2010 and 2012. You guys had ties cut with USD at the same time we did, and yet you played them sooner in football than us.

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

In the beginning you were willing to keep the series going, but were stubborn to even play us in football later on unlike SDSU who let things in the past stay In the past and do a home and home in 2010 and 2012. You guys had ties cut with USD at the same time we did, and yet you played them sooner in football than us.

This thread is about the Nickel Trophy. If the Nickel is is retired and stays retired, UND will be 100% at fault. NDSU had nothing to do with UND's nickname or its deal with the NCAA.

35 minutes ago, bison73 said:

We all know the second NDSU became post season eligible they would have cut loose from UND. There is no way to deny that.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We all know the second NDSU became post season eligible they would have cut loose from UND. There is no way to deny that.

Perhaps, but we'll never know will we? On the other hand, there's no doubt about who ended the rivalry game in the first place.

4 hours ago, Gothmog said:

I would  think UND would not want to open that can of worms. My suggestion is that the real nickel be on display in Bismarck and that the new traveling trophy be "The Wooden Nickel" with appropriate imagery on each side.  

Put Salty Mike on one side, and that goofy cow thing on the other side.

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You can manufacture all the rhetoric you want but the facts remain the same on how it all came down.

As far as USD (even though they have nothing to do with the point at hand)

USD didnt dump on us at the 11th hour after sitting on the contract. By that time most teams already had their schedules set. It put us in a bad place.  As far as playing you Faison turned down numerous contracts by demanding that the game be played every year.  By the time it was all said and done you were coming to Fargo twice with no return  game and for less money. Now your first game is in Fargo when you finally join our conference.  You guys did good. LOL

As far as the nickle it would be nice to keep that history going. But thats not going to happen so its pretty irrelevant.

19 hours ago, bison73 said:

You can manufacture all the rhetoric you want but the facts remain the same on how it all came down.

USD didnt dump on us at the 11th hour after sitting on the contract. By that time most teams already had their schedules set. It put us in a bad place.  As far as playing you Faison turned down numerous contracts by demanding that the game be played every year.  By the time it was all said and done you were coming to Fargo twice with no return  game and for less money. Now your first game is in Fargo when you finally join our conference.  You guys did good. LOL

As far as the nickle it would be nice to keep that history going. But thats not going to happen so its pretty irrelevant.

Just admit that if UND went D1 first there is zero percent chance NDSU would have kept the series going.  

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, bison73 said:

How do we know NDSU offered a home and Home series? I say not since they made us come there twice without a return game. Like I said before all you Bison fans are a bunch of whiners about the nickel trophy and the past rivalry. Half of your fan base wasn’t even a fan of NDSU when we last played.

• Upvote 3

On 10/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, UND-1 said:

Just admit that if UND went D1 first there is zero percent chance NDSU would have kept the series going.  

Pure speculation, we have no way of knowing what would have happened had UND moved to I-AA before NDSU.

32 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Pure speculation, we have no way of knowing what would have happened had UND moved to I-AA before NDSU.

Convenient.  Well UND did the right thing for UND.  I am assuming the Ego Albatross that was Gene Taylor would have done the same and more.  

50 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Speculation or not, I can guarantee you they would have quit playing the second it made sense for them, exactly the same as NDSU would have done and exactly what UND did.

I guess It's unfortunate UND didn't acquiesce and do what was better for NDSU and not themselves, but time to get over it. Kind of similar to how NDSU had no desire (or obligation) to help UND during their transition.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Speculation or not, I can guarantee you they would have quit playing the second it made sense for them, exactly the same as NDSU would have done and exactly what UND did.

I guess It's unfortunate UND didn't acquiesce and do what was better for NDSU and not themselves, but time to get over it. Kind of similar to how NDSU had no desire (or obligation) to help UND during their transition.

But, but, but, but, what about NDSU’s feeling? We gave them a cold prickly when we could have given a warm fuzzy.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:11 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Make a replica of that old shack near Hillsboro that kept getting written on by fans of both schools back in the day. Make that a trophy!! :D

a reference to I29 has some logic, how about the Rest Stop Glory Hole Trophy?   I'll show myself out...

• Upvote 2