SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Early Departures

AZSIOUX

You mean to tell me Danny took time away from his academics? WHAT? :lol:

Best of luck to Forbort. Will make for a pretty green defensive corps next year. But whats not to love about three freshman blue liners?

Forbort would have been nice to have back.....but I am fine with our D core next year. Simpson should be awesome, Schmaltz and Mattson will make strides and I really like the incoming freshman defensemen.

Forbort would have been nice to have back.....but I am fine with our D core next year. Simpson should be awesome, Schmaltz and Mattson will make strides and I really like the incoming freshman defensemen.

I agree in full, and Panzarella is also a solid option on the backend. I am not really all that concerned about our D-corps next season.

Wisconsin is kind of Defense U.

I'd say that Wisconsin "was" kind of Defense U. They had a guy named Mark Osiecki who is one of the best defensemen coaches in the country. He and Brad Berry are right at the top. I think we'll see Wisconsin's defensive unit slipping as Osiecki's recruits work their way out of the system and I think we'll see the Sioux defensive unit rising back to the top once Brad gets his recruits into the system.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Burnsville won a couple of state championships with Osiecki as a player, the Badgers won a National Championship when Osiecki was a captain, Green Bay won the USHL championship with him as a coach, the Fighting Sioux won the '97 National Championship with Osiecki as the defensemen coach and Wisconsin also won the '06 National Championship with him as the defensemen coach.

• Upvote 2

I'd say that Wisconsin "was" kind of Defense U. They had a guy named Mark Osiecki who is one of the best defensemen coaches in the country. He and Brad Berry are right at the top. I think we'll see Wisconsin's defensive unit slipping as Osiecki's recruits work their way out of the system and I think we'll see the Sioux defensive unit rising back to the top once Brad gets his recruits into the system.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Burnsville won a couple of state championships with Osiecki as a player, the Badgers won a National Championship when Osiecki was a captain, Green Bay won the USHL championship with him as a coach, the Fighting Sioux won the '97 National Championship with Osiecki as the defensemen coach and Wisconsin also won the '06 National Championship with him as the defensemen coach.

I think we'll notice a difference again when UND gets a few of Berry's defensemen into his system and they get a couple of years under him and a chance to develop.

Watchmaker was saying that not only is Kristo not going to make the show, but also wasn't going to even end up in the A...Most of us disagreed with that opinion. I'm on record stating that I think he will develop into a nice 15-25 per year goal scoring second line winger in the NHL. I also said that based on Mario's offensive numbers Kristo would score 120 points in the E...

Production in the A will be built around how they want him to develop...in other words will he get PP time and will he get optimal offensive minutes with scorers for linemates.

I believe that based on age (physical maturity- especially being in the UND weight room, etc for four years), clear offensive skill (paws), speed, and 2nd round draft status, that Danny is probably on the short list to be called up along with LeBlanc if they need a scorer up in Montreal.

• Upvote 1

Watchmaker was saying that not only is Kristo not going to make the show, but also wasn't going to even end up in the A...Most of us disagreed with that opinion. I'm on record stating that I think he will develop into a nice 15-25 per year goal scoring second line winger in the NHL. I also said that based on Mario's offensive numbers Kristo would score 120 points in the E...

Production in the A will be built around how they want him to develop...in other words will he get PP time and will he get optimal offensive minutes with scorers for linemates.

I believe that based on age (physical maturity- especially being in the UND weight room, etc for four years), clear offensive skill (paws), speed, and 2nd round draft status, that Danny is probably on the short list to be called up along with LeBlanc if they need a scorer up in Montreal.

The Montreal beat writer said that Kristo and Peter Holland (?) were the first two call ups, with the slight edge to Kristo.

Olkinuora signs with the Jets

Wow, huge loss for DU. He played outstanding for them this year.

Like others have mentioned, I feel that DU is going to be losing more this offseason.

Firing Gwoz is going to put them in quite a hole...wouldn't be surprised if they lost more players leaving early + incoming recruits.

Nice move, DU.

Loney maybe as we'll?

Yeah, Loney could certainly get a FA deal. LaLeggia (EDM) and Brittain (FLA) could probably sign if they wanted to and Q. Shore (2013 Eligible) had already been rumored to be flirting with the WHL. Things could get REALLY ugly in Denver.

Boatload of players lost by MN.

Most were expected though.

Good thing they have a huge class coming in. Talented one too.

But it will be hard to replace all those key players with newcomers. Totally different team for next year for them.

Boatload of players lost by MN.

Most were expected though.

Good thing they have a huge class coming in. Talented one too.

But it will be hard to replace all those key players with newcomers. Totally different team for next year for them.

Yeah, all of a sudden Wisconsin could have a solid chance at being the top team in the Big Ten if they can hold on to some very good experienced players like Mersch, Zengerle, and Barnes. Will Minnesota's freshmen class be enough to overcome the experience and system-oriented Badgers? Badger powerplay can't be as bad as it was this year, and can Minnesota's be as good? I think five on five is where Minnesota won't be quite as good.

Yeah, all of a sudden Wisconsin could have a solid chance at being the top team in the Big Ten if they can hold on to some very good experienced players like Mersch, Zengerle, and Barnes. Will Minnesota's freshmen class be enough to overcome the experience and system-oriented Badgers? Badger powerplay can't be as bad as it was this year, and can Minnesota's be as good? I think five on five is where Minnesota won't be quite as good.

Bjugstad made a living on the pp. He had his "spot" a lot like Duncan, but Duncs was a writster from the dot, Bjugstad was usually a one-timer rocket from the bottom of the circle...

Does the news about Evers mean he is not coming to UND?

As of now, he is still coming here. He got his rights selected in the OHL draft by the London Knights. The Knights have notoriously been very good at poaching NCAA committed players. That being said, now he is in the same boat as many of our other recruits, we have to hold our breathe until he is on campus.

Does the news about Evers mean he is not coming to UND?

Not necessarily; but with their recent track record with commits, it probably doesn't bode well that he's headed for NTDP next year.

After being drafted, Evers said, "Thanks for all of the congratulations and the support. I can't wait to see how things play out in the next couple of years," which also doesn't bode well. It just sounds a little too non-committal for my taste.