SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Early Departures

AZSIOUX

If Minnesota has a strong enough leader this year, which I think they do in Tom Serratore, they can surpass this past years team due to hard work alone. That's IMO only.

Agreed. Same with UND's team. They were both highly skilled teams however lacked the passion to actually work hard and win. This is probably more of a GPL post though.

Forbort leave yet?

I would imagine that the Kings are underwhelmed by his development and will actively seek to sign him and send him to the AHL. Not a knock on him or our program, but he did not play like a third year first round draft pick...

For all of those "it takes dmen longer to develop" I agree in theory, but Matt Greene, Keith Ballard, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Brooks Orpik all went early...so did Paul Martin (a second rounder)...Jacob Trouba was a one and done...and all were playing at a much higher level than Derek...In order to maximize their significant investment (a first round pick) I believe LA will push to have Forbert in the AHL. They will give him a max NHL deal, knowing full well that he is likely to be paid only his signing bonus and AHL salary for the next two years.

Not trying to be a hater, just calling it like I see it.

Defense should still be pretty solid. Only losing 2 defensemen. Helgeson is replaceable but Schmidt hurts because of his offensive talent. Minnesota is bringing in more of the small/fast forwards than usual, but I think that's the way to go in college hockey now. Fasching is going to be nothing but a big bodied forward IMO.

Was referring to the forwards coming in. Can't always outscore the other team in college, as many times 3 goals is going to win.

I would imagine that the Kings are underwhelmed by his development and will actively seek to sign him and send him to the AHL. Not a knock on him or our program, but he did not play like a third year first round draft pick...

For all of those "it takes dmen longer to develop" I agree in theory, but Matt Greene, Keith Ballard, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Brooks Orpik all went early...so did Paul Martin (a second rounder)...Jacob Trouba was a one and done...and all were playing at a much higher level than Derek...In order to maximize their significant investment (a first round pick) I believe LA will push to have Forbert in the AHL. They will give him a max NHL deal, knowing full well that he is likely to be paid only his signing bonus and AHL salary for the next two years.

I felt Forbort's improvement from last year to this year was quite impressive. Although I appreciate most things Coach Eades did at UND, developing defensemen for the NHL wasn't, IMO, one of his strong areas. He was very good with "defensive defensemen," but didn't seem able to do much to improve the more offense-minded players. Personally, I have always preferred to have the lock-down defensive players at UND and didn't care much for the puck-handling, offensive defensemen. However, after watching Big Mac get called for a penalty every time he touched another player this year, I recognize the NCAA isn't going to let us play a bruising defensive style anymore.

I felt Forbort's improvement from last year to this year was quite impressive. Although I appreciate most things Coach Eades did at UND, developing defensemen for the NHL wasn't, IMO, one of his strong areas. He was very good with "defensive defensemen," but didn't seem able to do much to improve the more offense-minded players. Personally, I have always preferred to have the lock-down defensive players at UND and didn't care much for the puck-handling, offensive defensemen. However, after watching Big Mac get called for a penalty every time he touched another player this year, I recognize the NCAA isn't going to let us play a bruising defensive style anymore.

This, plus the fact that getting the puck out of your own zone and up the ice quickly is a necessity in today's college game.

Makes sense. For greed's sake I hope he stays, however, when we landed him I was hoping for at most 3 years and we got it.

Homer announcer Kevin Gorg this morning on KFAN said that Bjugstad waiting shows he may really love the Gopher program. Well, guess the love is gone. :silly:

People around our program say the same type of thing. When it's time to go, it's time to go.

Homer announcer Kevin Gorg this morning on KFAN said that Bjugstad waiting shows he may really love the Gopher program. Well, guess the love is gone. :silly:

All four they were wondering about are gone, that hurts.

Still a possibility of Condon and Rau leaving too, but not as likely.