SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Some good official news from Simpson.

Dillon Simpson@Simmer1816m

For the number of you who seem to think I may be planning on leaving UND, I'm not going anywhere #senioryear

Good to hear! He was solid all season and will provide some much needed veteran leadership next season. Small senior class with Simpson, Rodwell, Saunders and Mitch MacMillan.

Good to hear! He was solid all season and will provide some much needed veteran leadership next season. Small senior class with Simpson, Rodwell, Saunders and Mitch MacMillan.

He was IMO our most consistent Dman this past season.

Some good official news from Simpson.

Dillon Simpson@Simmer1816m

For the number of you who seem to think I may be planning on leaving UND, I'm not going anywhere #senioryear

i never thought he was ever really a risk. he's still so young, there's no reason to rush his development. I'd like to see him add a little grit to his game next year along with more scoring. next year, this team will need more from the blueline in terms of points. Simpson, Schmaltz, Mattson, LaDue should bring that from the point next season.

• Upvote 1

i never thought he was ever really a risk. he's still so young, there's no reason to rush his development. I'd like to see him add a little grit to his game next year along with more scoring. next year, this team will need more from the blueline in terms of points. Simpson, Schmaltz, Mattson, LaDue should bring that from the point next season.

Didn't this year's team lead the nation in d points (collectively); I'm sure I'm wrong but I thought I read that somewhere. Must have been on 4/1 or something.

Didn't this year's team lead the nation in d points (collectively); I'm sure I'm wrong but I thought I read that somewhere. Must have been on 4/1 or something.

still need more from there! :) look at the forwards coming back, pretty limited in scoring.

I've got the answer......... let's install the Wisconsin Mich Tech Bemidj UAA trap next year! No forecheck and 5 guys on our own blueline. No pressure in D zone and pack the front of the net. that will fill the seats with fans. :p

I'm not sure if that's a good thing. It's nice to have some point producers back there but having two potent lines of forwards that can all put the puck in the net is more important for winning titles. We only had one this year which is why we didn't get sweeps and couldn't get past Yale and cc.

Simpson showed this year he can be a significant contributor offensively, and Schmaltz really started to display his offensive instincts during the latter portion of the season. LaDue, in my opinion, will be an instant contributor next season, similar to the boost Nolan Zajac was for Denver. Stecher and Thompson also have nice offensive sides to their games, as does Mattson. I'm very excited for LaDue and Thompson next season - I've heard nothing but glowing things about those two during conversations with people in the USHL/scouting world.

Simpson showed this year he can be a significant contributor offensively, and Schmaltz really started to display his offensive instincts during the latter portion of the season. LaDue, in my opinion, will be an instant contributor next season, similar to the boost Nolan Zajac was for Denver. Stecher and Thompson also have nice offensive sides to their games, as does Mattson. I'm very excited for LaDue and Thompson next season - I've heard nothing but glowing things about those two during conversations with people in the USHL/scouting world.

I am also excited to have Thompson on the team, Every national championship that UND has won had a North Dakotan on the team. Will this be the year that we get #8.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing. It's nice to have some point producers back there but having two potent lines of forwards that call all put the puck in the net is more important for winning titles. We only had one this year which is why we didn't get sweeps and couldn't get past Yale and cc.

Your comment made absolutely no sense.

Dave Nonis, Senior Vice-President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Wednesday that the hockey club has signed defenceman Andrew MacWilliam to a two-year entry level contract.

MacWilliam, 23, was selected by the Maple Leafs in the seventh round, 188th overall, in the 2008 Entry Draft. In 2012-13, he served as Captain of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA), playing 41 games and leading the WCHA in penalty minutes (116).

Okay the more I see ongoing references to FIghting Sioux, the more i'm starting to think that it's time we push back on the NCAA. I know UND Administration can't support it and the people who attend games and sit on their hands think it's disloyal to UND to not move on, but really what if there was a grassroots effort that says, "We are the Fighting Sioux and we will remain the Fighting Sioux" deal with it. I think it goes beyond just having a closet full of Fighting Sioux shirts. It means not allowing the name or spirit of the name to disappear from sporting events. It means making sure incoming students understand the history and help preserve it. Big hurdle will be what happens when all the Fighting Sioux logo materials are sold out. Thoughts?

Right on!!!! That's why I'm not going to buy any new jerseys, just going to keep wearing my fighting sioux jerseys!

Nice to hear. Blueline heavy could bode well. The goalies will be one year better too.

Never once heard anyone say this team didnt' work hard. Hakstol's teams usually work very hard in practice. You can work your butt off and have passion and still get beat. Every year we don't win it all it is the same stuff. Poor coaching, wrong line matchups, no leadership, etc. Sometimes you can have good coaching and hard working kids and, in this game more than almost any other, you can still get beat. Not as likely to happen in FB or BB. Can also happen in baseball. Nature of the game and with one game series. Don't take the loss personally folks you didn't play. Don't always need someone to blame when things don't turn out the way we wish. I will take this team and these coaches again next year. Biggest threat right now is the breakup of the WCHA and making our transition to the new conference a successful one. This coaching staff puts these our team in a postiion to be successful every year and that is what you need from your coaches. Number 8 will come in the next few years.

Actaully you are wrong here...I've heard he is more of a players coach and that they don't necesarily have "hard" practices. I've heard this from very good sources. I'm not opposed to either coaching style, I simply wanted to inform you on this.

Just let it marinate for awhile and maybe it'll sink in.

I think I get what you were trying to say but I don't think it came out right. By no means is it a "bad" thing to have defensive scoring. you noted we needed better secondary scoring from lines 2-4...and I agree. But scoring from lines 2-4 have nothing to do with having a nice scoring D core.

I think I get what you were trying to say but I don't think it came out right. By no means is it a "bad" thing to have defensive scoring. you noted we needed better secondary scoring from lines 2-4...and I agree. But scoring from lines 2-4 have nothing to do with having a nice scoring D core.

I'd rather have the d play better d and produce fewer points. And also not have over rated players like Rowney clogging up a valuable spot on the second line.

I'd rather have the d play better d and produce fewer points. And also not have over rated players like Rowney clogging up a valuable spot on the second line.

Ok got ya....I couldn't distinguish where you were going with your first post.