SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Early Departures

AZSIOUX

I didn't realize back to back Macnaughton Cup's was considered a sinking ship these days.

The Gophers have a lot of highly drafted juniors, a mass exodus after this season was expected.

Bjugstad, Haula, and Schmidt were pretty much givens to leave early. Budish was a possibility. You have to admit Alt is somewhat of a surprise early departure.

Bjugstad, Haula, and Schmidt were pretty much givens to leave early. Budish was a possibility. You have to admit Alt is somewhat of a surprise early departure.

Alt yes, everybody else not so much. No need for Budish to stay when he's been at the U for 4 years already. Not sure if he would be a free agent if he came back for another year, so gotta take what you can get(Contract wise)

Who was listed as "most likely to leave who isn't named Bjugstad, Haula, Budish, Schmidt, or Alt."?

Other than the transfers? I would have to say Condon would be the only one. I could see an outside shot at maybe Holl or Parentau if they are upset about how they were used this season.

Other than the transfers? I would have to say Condon would be the only one. I could see an outside shot at maybe Holl or Parentau if they are upset about how they were used this season.

OK, I wasn't sure if Rau was a flight risk at all.

I felt Forbort's improvement from last year to this year was quite impressive. Although I appreciate most things Coach Eades did at UND, developing defensemen for the NHL wasn't, IMO, one of his strong areas. He was very good with "defensive defensemen," but didn't seem able to do much to improve the more offense-minded players. Personally, I have always preferred to have the lock-down defensive players at UND and didn't care much for the puck-handling, offensive defensemen. However, after watching Big Mac get called for a penalty every time he touched another player this year, I recognize the NCAA isn't going to let us play a bruising defensive style anymore.

You gotta be kidding--It was well known in the hockey world that if you were a defenseman and wanted to go to the NHL--you payed for the Sioux.

I'm curious why? Other than Commodore and Greene there haven't been many UND Dmen who spent significant time in the NHL. Very good college Dmen but not great pros.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious why? Other than Commodore and Greene there haven't been many UND Dmen who spent significant time in the NHL. Very good college Dmen but not great pros.

UND has done a much better job recently of developing forwards than defensemen. Wisconsin, on the other hand, has been doing a tremendous job of churning out quality NHL defenders lately.

UND has done a much better job recently of developing forwards than defensemen. Wisconsin, on the other hand, has been doing a tremendous job of churning out quality NHL defenders lately.

Wisconsin is kind of Defense U.