SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

• 4 weeks later...

So the standing rock tribe high school board admitted they had to drop the name or they'd be hypocrites. 

While other NA Tribes still have Indian school nicknames and no one is forcing them to change their name. If they claim people are not mascots, what message does that send. Good for them to drop their name.

Why would SRCHS change their nickname?  They are Native American and as such their athletes can be called Warriors.  

So if they chose to change their name, they shouldn't be allowed to take the name Trojans, Minutemen, etc.?   Don't believe in double standards. 

Why would SRCHS change their nickname?  They are Native American and as such their athletes can be called Warriors.  

noun

a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.

Don't think it is a prerequisite to be Native American in order to be known as a warrior.
  • Upvote 3

noun

a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.

Don't think it is a prerequisite to be Native American in order to be known as a warrior.

Correct.  But, since the PC crowd dictates what is and what is not 'appropriate' we play by their rules. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Posted twice for good measure...

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/north-dakota/3863554-native-american-community-remains-divided-und-nickname

"To me, a nickname doesn't seem that important to me," Longie said. "Do we need a seat at the table? It would be really nice if they included us because we are a significant population, but it's just a nickname and whatever they choose, it's just a nickname."

In short, a nickname "doesn't seem important" and "it's just a nickname," unless it's Fighting Sioux, then it matters.

That's exactly what I've thought these anti-nickname folks have felt all along.  "We couldn't care less about the nickname...unless it's Fighting Sioux."   

So UND student R. J. Morin was on the task force that came up with the nickname list but doesn't plan to vote.  What the he!! was this person doing being on the committee in the first place ?  Great idea putting people on the committee that are this passionate about the nickname.  What a brilliant leader we have in Kelley, how will UND ever survive when he leaves !

• Upvote 4

So UND student R. J. Morin was on the task force that came up with the nickname list but doesn't plan to vote.  What the he!! was this person doing being on the committee in the first place ?  Great idea putting people on the committee that are this passionate about the nickname.  What a brilliant leader we have in Kelley, how will UND ever survive when he leaves !

Glad you said it, felt the same way after reading it!! Now he just "stays out of it all because he's too busy".... What?!!!!

That is not accurate. He wasn't on the committee that came up with the nickname list, he was on the committee that came up with the process. He had zero direct say in what is being voted. In fact, he is more culpable in the recent lawsuit than anything if the Sioux tribes really feel like they should have a vote.

That is not accurate. He wasn't on the committee that came up with the nickname list, he was on the committee that came up with the process. He had zero direct say in what is being voted. In fact, he is more culpable in the recent lawsuit than anything if the Sioux tribes really feel like they should have a vote.

I don't think people who are this uninterested in it should've been on either committee.  The process sucked IMO, and he was involved in creating the process.

• Upvote 1

I don't think people who are this uninterested in it should've been on either committee.  The process sucked IMO, and he was involved in creating the process.

That's a fair enough opinion and can't say I really disagree. Just pointing out the big difference between the two committees and that he had no direct impact on the names to be voted on.

Nonetheless, that's kinda like being a delegate to the Republican or Democratic national convention...and then not voting in the ensuing residential election.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Adidas offers to help eliminate Native American mascots

Adidas has announced an initiative to help high schools nationwide drop Native American mascots.

The German athletic shoe and apparel maker says it will offer free design resources to schools looking to shelve Native American mascots, nicknames, imagery or symbolism. The company also pledges to provide financial support to ensure the cost of changing is not prohibitive.

Getting rid of ALL mascots associated with the Native American heritage, to me, just pushes the whole culture one step further off the map.

I guess if people want to forget about the Native American culture all together, they are going in the right direction.

I'll admit, I think the "Redskins" need to drop that name, like, twenty years ago.  That one even offends me, and I have no Native American

blood in me.  "Indians" gets to me, as well, since the Native Americans weren't actually from India (dumb explorers).

I'm sad that the native people of this land are taking one more giant step in the direction of being forgotten . . . but hey, we can name teams

after thieves, murderers and rapists and it's all good (Vikings, Raiders, Buccaneers . . .)

Do you suppose the New England Patriots are welcome to play in England??  You know, they fought and killed a bunch of their ancestors and

gave a big middle finger to their whole country.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit, I think the "Redskins" need to drop that name, like, twenty years ago.

Yes yes yes. It's in our nations capital, no less.
Redskins is extremely hard to defend as being a term of "honor and respect," as owner Dan Snyder once said.  Anything with a person for a logo and a name with something-"skins" is woefully obtuse

I guess if people want to forget about the Native American culture all together, they are going in the right direction.

Removal of Native American mascots isn't really about wanting to forget about Native Americans.  It's much more about wanting to forget about our own racism towards Native Americans.

• Downvote 2

Yes yes yes. It's in our nations capital, no less.Redskins is extremely hard to defend as being a term of "honor and respect," as owner Dan Snyder once said.  Anything with a person for a logo and a name with something-"skins" is woefully obtuse

Yup, simply stating the color of their skin is tough to defend(It'd be like a team with an African American logo named Blackskins or Asian logo named yellowskins). I see a very distinct line drawn between Sioux and Redskins but some people lump them together which is disheartening when Sioux is the name of the tribe vs the pigment of their skin. 

• Upvote 1

Removal of Native American mascots isn't really about wanting to forget about Native Americans.  It's much more about wanting to forget about our own racism towards Native Americans.

wow...ask students right now to name the three tribes that make up the great sioux nation and most will have no clue...ask students that attended und when they were known as the sioux and you will get a lot that will give you right answer.  part of the beauty of naming und after the sioux was to educate students as they passed thru und of the history of north dakota and especially the plains indians...that's gone now.

• Upvote 1