SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I call Strawman- Sitting Bull sites on private property. There are probably other statues of Sitting Bull around the country. Not an issue. 

A number of years ago, a St Paul man placed a statue of Jesus on his property on Summit Hill overlooking the city.  I can't recall how long the legal battle went on as the city passed various ordinances in order to force him to remove it.  Don't remember the outcome either, but it was a mess.

A number of years ago, a St Paul man placed a statue of Jesus on his property on Summit Hill overlooking the city.  I can't recall how long the legal battle went on as the city passed various ordinances in order to force him to remove it.  Don't remember the outcome either, but it was a mess.

You think the same mess would have occurred if it would have been a statue of the Prophet Mohammed? 

Simple question..................

You think the same mess would have occurred if it would have been a statue of the Prophet Mohammed? 

Depicting Mohammed is a big no-no in Islam..... so it probably would've been even worse.

It wasn't even a gun-totin' redneck 'Merican who put it up - that's the best part.

I didn't know that the Ralph had been officially turned over to the U. When did that happen?

It hasn't (2031 maybe?), but the land is still owned by UND and leased out. I was referring to the land the REA was on, not the REA itself. Wording could have been more clear I guess.

It hasn't (2031 maybe?), but the land is still owned by UND and leased out. I was referring to the land the REA was on, not the REA itself. Wording could have been more clear I guess.

Speaking of the REA and its land, from the air (or Google Maps) the bushes (or trees) leading away from the REA spells out FIGHTING SIOUX, did that have to be removed?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my ... 

Larry Dupuis, legal director for American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, said he was not pleased with the Madison school district's move. He said it limits students' free speech and seems counterproductive by stifling conversation about American Indian portrayals.

"This kind of Band-Aid doesn't fix these sorts of underlying problems," Dupuis said. "What a horrible thing to tell kids that we can't discuss these ideas, that we should avert our eyes to this."

I just agreed with the ACLU. 

And the ACLU seems in stark disagreement with tactics applied too often on campuses. 

I think I've just entered "bizarro-world". 

More importantly: Where was the ACLU during the NCAA's assault? Or is it because it's a public school district (and the NCAA is private)? Shouldn't the ACLU have been all over the NCAA for effectively* dictating to public schools? 

*The NCAA effectively put a gun to the head of select members. 

• Upvote 2

So if a kid transfers from a school on the Rez to a public school but wears a shirt with a NA name/logo on it (since the Rez has tons of schools with NA nicknames) would that kid be in trouble? PC sucks!!

I understand this isn't an Indian nickname, but didn't want to start a new thread for it.  In the furor in the past few days to remove anything to do with the Confederacy, the UNLV Running Rebels may not be around long.

Also Tuesday, Minority Leader Harry Reid said the mascot and nickname of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas—the Runnin' Rebels—should be reconsidered by the school's Board of Regents. The school is well aware of its branding's ties to the Confederacy.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/mitch-mcconnell-to-kentucky-capitol-lose-the-jefferson-davis-statue-20150623

I understand this isn't an Indian nickname, but didn't want to start a new thread for it.  In the furor in the past few days to remove anything to do with the Confederacy, the UNLV Running Rebels may not be around long.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/mitch-mcconnell-to-kentucky-capitol-lose-the-jefferson-davis-statue-20150623

Good luck with that one Reid. 

Good luck with that one Reid. 

I don't agree that it should change either.

However, I do agree with getting rid of all imagery of the Confederate battle flag on public grounds.  To me, it goes beyond the racist significance.  Why celebrate the history of traitors to the United States of America? 

However, I do agree with getting rid of all imagery of the Confederate battle flag on public grounds.  To me, it goes beyond the racist significance.  Why celebrate the history of traitors to the United States of America? 

Just the Confederate battle flag or Confederate flags in general?  The reason I ask, is that there are many places in the South that recognize the history of the South and still have the Confederate flag displayed.  Pensacola is called the City of Five Flags, for the flags that have flown over Pensacola, one of which was the Confederate flag.  All five of the flags are displayed in a monument downtown.

City+of+five+flags+8x10.jpg

I have lived in the South for over 20 years and there is still a strong sense of Southern heritage.  When you drive along I-10 from Mississippi into Alabama there is a battle flag flying above the tree line.  I'm assuming that it on private property, but you sure can't miss seeing it.

At the time, loyalties were to the state first.  There was a difference in belief regarding the extent of centralized power, and the south strongly believed the states should have more power to govern themselves (the 10th amendment wouldn't disagree with them).  It could be viewed somewhat similarly to a block European countries leaving the EU today (though the EU hasn't amassed the central power of the US gov't at that time, yet).

That said, it makes litte sense for Nevada to celebrate the southern rebellion, other than the west being settled by people seeking a new life far away from that centralized power.