SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Just the Confederate battle flag or Confederate flags in general? The reason I ask, is that there are many places in the South that recognize the history of the South and still have the Confederate flag displayed. Pensacola is called the City of Five Flags, for the flags that have flown over Pensacola, one of which was the Confederate flag. All five of the flags are displayed in a monument downtown.

I have lived in the South for over 20 years and there is still a strong sense of Southern heritage. When you drive along I-10 from Mississippi into Alabama there is a battle flag flying above the tree line. I'm assuming that it on private property, but you sure can't miss seeing it.

Private land is different.

Public land

..get rid of all confederate flags. They can take that traitorous heritage and stick it in a museum where it belongs.

They lost. Time to put that crap where it belongs.

• Upvote 1

I understand this isn't an Indian nickname, but didn't want to start a new thread for it. In the furor in the past few days to remove anything to do with the Confederacy, the UNLV Running Rebels may not be around long.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/mitch-mcconnell-to-kentucky-capitol-lose-the-jefferson-davis-statue-20150623

How in the world does this total buffoon keep getting re-elected every six years?
  • Upvote 1

I've already lost the Sioux name we will not lose the runnin Rebs too

I'll never forget the run n gun show of the 70s with Reggie Theus. If there was a three point shot they would have easily beat the Tarheels and then won it all.

I've already lost the Sioux name we will not lose the runnin Rebs too

There's a lot of feel-good showmanship in pulling down those flags. I won't be surprised in what gets run over in the process.

But what'll they blame the next time a nutbag goes off?

Just UNLV? How about the other NCAA school with the same nickname...Ole Miss. I wonder if the NCAA will come out with another list with this one having derogatory names that might offend someone. So pretty soon we will see more Fighting green and Fighting Unicorns and less Rebels.

Just UNLV? How about the other NCAA school with the same nickname...Ole Miss. I wonder if the NCAA will come out with another list with this one having derogatory names that might offend someone. So pretty soon we will see more Fighting green and Fighting Unicorns and less Rebels.

More < color > Hawks

Everything, and everyone, but the nutbag.

One of my co-workers made the comment.. They are pulling all of the Confederate flags out of Walmart, but leaving the beer and twinkies.  Which is "responsible" for more deaths?

I heard on the radio yesterday that the mayor of New Orleans now wants to remove the statue of General Lee from Lee Circle.  Crazy!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/lee_circle_statue_robert_e_lee.html

One of my co-workers made the comment.. They are pulling all of the Confederate flags out of Walmart, but leaving the beer and twinkies.  Which is "responsible" for more deaths?

I heard on the radio yesterday that the mayor of New Orleans now wants to remove the statue of General Lee from Lee Circle.  Crazy!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/lee_circle_statue_robert_e_lee.html

"Flags don't kill people, Twinkies do."  Run with it!!  :)

Only in 'Murica are traitors and subversives cannonized and honored as if they are heroic figures.  In any other country, the "rebs" would have been executed for treason.

• Downvote 1

Only in 'Murica are traitors and subversives cannonized and honored as if they are heroic figures.  In any other country, the "rebs" would have been executed for treason.

Was George Washington considered a traitor?  I'm sure the Brits considered him to be one.

http://www.vahistorical.org/collections-and-resources/virginia-history-explorer/american-turning-point-civil-war-virginia-1/who

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was George Washington considered a traitor?  I'm sure the Brits considered him to be one.

http://www.vahistorical.org/collections-and-resources/virginia-history-explorer/american-turning-point-civil-war-virginia-1/who

The 13 original colonies were not a "nation" per-se (I would argue there wasn't an "American Nation" until the Constitution was ratified).  They were British subjects who happened to live in North America instead of Great Britain.  They weren't allowed to vote for the politicians that taxed them and otherwise passed laws they had to live with.  That was the root cause of the American Revolution.  The Confederates could not say the same thing.  They had representation in Congress.  They voted for President like every other state.  They just didn't get what they wanted in 1860 (Lincoln won), so they decided to rebel against the government that they once pledged allegiance to.  Apples and Oranges.

Luke Skywalker an Han Solo were in the Rebel Alliance.  I'm not going to sit here and here you bash all rebels!! :)

• Upvote 2

The 13 original colonies were not a "nation" per-se (I would argue there wasn't an "American Nation" until the Constitution was ratified).  They were British subjects who happened to live in North America instead of Great Britain.  They weren't allowed to vote for the politicians that taxed them and otherwise passed laws they had to live with.  That was the root cause of the American Revolution.  The Confederates could not say the same thing.  They had representation in Congress.  They voted for President like every other state.  They just didn't get what they wanted in 1860 (Lincoln won), so they decided to rebel against the government that they once pledged allegiance to.  Apples and Oranges.

I do not consider either man to be a traitor.  They were both fighting for what they thought was right and thought they had legal and moral justification to do so. 

The Civil War was about many things, not just slavery, not just because Lincoln won.  There were social and economic differences between the North and the South.  The South thought they had the right to secede according to the Declaration of Independence, "the right of the people to alter or abolish it".  States rights was a major and probably the largest issue at the time.  That issue is once again very prevalent. 

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The 13 original colonies were not a "nation" per-se (I would argue there wasn't an "American Nation" until the Constitution was ratified). They were British subjects who happened to live in North America instead of Great Britain. They weren't allowed to vote for the politicians that taxed them and otherwise passed laws they had to live with. That was the root cause of the American Revolution. The Confederates could not say the same thing. They had representation in Congress. They voted for President like every other state. They just didn't get what they wanted in 1860 (Lincoln won), so they decided to rebel against the government that they once pledged allegiance to. Apples and Oranges.

And they lost.

• Upvote 1

I do not consider either man to be a traitor.  They were both fighting for what they thought was right and thought they had legal and moral justification to do so. 

The Civil War was about many things, not just slavery, not just because Lincoln won.  There were social and economic differences between the North and the South.  The South thought they had the right to secede according to the Declaration of Independence, "the right of the people to alter or abolish it".  States rights was a major and probably the largest issue at the time.  That issue is once again very prevalent. 

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

State's Rights.....to keep and own slaves.  The entire Confederate economy was built on the often-flogged backs of African slaves who were brought here against their will.  The plantation owners wanted to maintain slavery so that they wouldn't have to actually pay hired help to run their businesses.  When they lost the Civil War, they came up with "Slavery-Lite", a.k.a. Jim Crow, enforced via the terror of the KKK and the "White Citizen Councils".  I suppose Jim Crow was about "State's Rights" and the "Declaration of Independence" too, right? :silly:  The two worst things to happen to this country were 1) Lincoln's assassination and 2) the backroom deal Republican Rutherford B. Hayes cut with the Democrats which gave him the White House and in turn ended Reconstruction.  You can trace a lot of the social problems in 'Murica today to those two events.

State's Rights.....to keep and own slaves. The entire Confederate economy was built on the often-flogged backs of African slaves who were brought here against their will. The plantation owners wanted to maintain slavery so that they wouldn't have to actually pay hired help to run their businesses. When they lost the Civil War, they came up with "Slavery-Lite", a.k.a. Jim Crow, enforced via the terror of the KKK and the "White Citizen Councils". I suppose Jim Crow was about "State's Rights" and the "Declaration of Independence" too, right? :silly: The two worst things to happen to this country were 1) Lincoln's assassination and 2) the backroom deal Republican Rutherford B. Hayes cut with the Democrats which gave him the White House and in turn ended Reconstruction. You can trace a lot of the social problems in 'Murica today to those two events.

Well said!

Go Ridas!

• Upvote 1

State's Rights.....to keep and own slaves.  The entire Confederate economy was built on the often-flogged backs of African slaves who were brought here against their will.  The plantation owners wanted to maintain slavery so that they wouldn't have to actually pay hired help to run their businesses.  When they lost the Civil War, they came up with "Slavery-Lite", a.k.a. Jim Crow, enforced via the terror of the KKK and the "White Citizen Councils".  I suppose Jim Crow was about "State's Rights" and the "Declaration of Independence" too, right? :silly:  The two worst things to happen to this country were 1) Lincoln's assassination and 2) the backroom deal Republican Rutherford B. Hayes cut with the Democrats which gave him the White House and in turn ended Reconstruction.  You can trace a lot of the social problems in 'Murica today to those two events.

Slavery is an ugly part of America's past, but was also what built America to become an economic power.  Not proud of it, but is true.  You can also trace a lot of today's social problems to the all of the social programs that the Federal government has implemented since the 1960's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1