SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I also acted partly out of what I saw as a high-minded desire to support a politically weak ethnic group. It felt like a token of penance for the sufferings imposed on Native Americans over the centuries by the continent’s European conquerors and their descendants. 

Just as others have said: (liberal*) white guilt. 

*Yeah, I'm assuming, but he is an editor for the Washington Post so I'm pretty sure. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/politics/4041859-trump-offends-tribes-pocahontas-comment

Racist?  Jab at a rival from the other side of the political spectrum?  Stupid comment?  All of the above?!!  You decide!!

If anyone is offended by this they are spending too much time looking for something to be offended by.

Trump blew the joke though. It is Fauxcohontas Warren.

• Upvote 3

If Tex Hall (et al) should have their knickers in a twist over anything it should be that Ms. Warren claimed to be something she's not. 

Ms. Warren attempted to co-opt Native heritage and culture based on her claim of Native ancestry based on "high cheekbones". <-- That's pretty stereotypical and racist right there. 

I'll worry about Tex (et al) right after they call out Ms. Warren as racist for that. 

• Upvote 1

It's unfortunate this whole native american nickname ban in the NCAA didn't happen in today's messed up times!!  If the NCAA came up with their rule about native american names and imagery, UND and the state of North Dakota could just hold a vote for people who identified as Sioux or native americans and they could have decided if they approve of the name or not.  :)  

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

A token gesture, and I for one don't buy their stated 'non-PC' reasoning.  But on the positive side, that will be one less glaring example of hypocrisy for the stubborn pro-nickname crowd to continue to rally around.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Not sure where to put this but I am curious.... does anyone know if the bushes in front of the Ralph still spell out Fighting Sioux ? They do in Google maps but who knows how current that is.

Still did this spring,  haven't been there since may

15 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Not sure where to put this but I am curious.... does anyone know if the bushes in front of the Ralph still spell out Fighting Sioux ? They do in Google maps but who knows how current that is.

That's just a coincidental act of gardening no intent there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 5:29 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Mendoza's attorney said there are multiple witnesses that will back up his side of the story but at the time this story aired, none of those witnesses had returned News 9’s calls. 

I bet they are still trying to come up with a BS story. I don't believe Mendoza at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There was no outcry when the Indians played in Toronto during the regular season this season or any season dating back to 1977 when Toronto joined MLB. A simple solution, move the game back to Cleveland or Toronto forfeits. Cleveland should not have to change anything on their uniforms.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

There was no outcry when the Indians played in Toronto during the regular season this season or any season dating back to 1977 when Toronto joined MLB. A simple solution, move the game back to Cleveland or Toronto forfeits. Cleveland should not have to change anything on their uniforms.

Who are you and what did you do with the real darell1976?  :lol:

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...