SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Might this end up in the Supreme Court?  Would they even want to hear it?  Any thoughts?

I doubt the SCOTUS. I think the other 31 NFL owners would sit Snyder down and explain to him how that, no matter what ruling is handed down, this in the SCOTUS is "net negative" for the team and the league. (see: recent media treatment of Confederate flag)

I doubt the SCOTUS would take it anyway. If they did, based on recent SCOTUS rulings, I don't think Dan Snyder would walk away happy. 

Chip, chip, chipping away.

That is the one Harjo et al want, bad.

After that I'd guess they'll go after Chief Wahoo.

Cleveland has been slowly fading him out and going with a big "C" on their hat. Chief can still be seen on their sleeve though. I can see them compromising with NA and keeping the Indians name but getting rid of Chief Wahoo.

http://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-by-era/slavery-and-anti-slavery/resources/was-slavery-engine-american-economic-growth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_gin

In regards to the welfare system, you have generations of entrenched poverty where they know nothing, but the handout.  Dads are not part of the family.  Single moms raising kids with Uncle Sam as the dad.  72% of black babies are born to unmarried mothers.  The break-up of the nuclear family can be traced back to the programs of the 1960's.

The Dems have always been running the long con.

If the precedent stands, and the "disparagement" threshold is broadly construed to include those who may be offended, it could spell trouble for a lot of other team nick names that are tied to race or ethnicity.  Even those that have the NC$$'s stamp of approval.

Tick ... tock ...

• Upvote 3

Seriously. It is time that someone in this country is appointed to the position of telling the perpetually offended that "your complaint is invalid, shut the !@#$ up and go be productive."

I volunteer to take on this position in an unpaid role.