SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

• 1 month later...

Watching the premiere of "Brockmire" on IFC, only to find out the fictional baseball team on the show had previously changed its name from the Morristown (PA) Savages ('a baseball with a headdress') to the Frackers.  Can't help but think back to the discussions about replacing "Sioux" with something that accurately reflected North Dakota, and I'm almost certain that more than a few people submitted "Frackers" among other oil patch-related nickname suggestions.

No good reason, but it made me smile.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Watching the premiere of "Brockmire" on IFC, only to find out the fictional baseball team on the show had previously changed its name from the Morristown (PA) Savages ('a baseball with a headdress') to the Frackers.  Can't help but think back to the discussions about replacing "Sioux" with something that accurately reflected North Dakota, and I'm almost certain that more than a few people submitted "Frackers" among other oil patch-related nickname suggestions.

No good reason, but it made me smile.

I submitted Oilers due to the Bakken.

On February 22, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Agreed.  Brien hit a home run back in 2001 when he created the Sioux logo.  The last two examples (this one and the proposed Fighting Hawk logo) are ground outs to the pitcher at best.  ;)

Or....maybe his Sioux-head logo wasn't that spectacular either???  With an unbiased eye i've always thought it was just another indian head logo.  Just sayin

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Remember: The Stanford Cardinal is not a bird, but a color. (It is Cardinal, not Cardinals). 

stanford-tree.jpg 

This is a horrible mascot. I prefer this if their name is for a color and not a bird.

4664576161_10cacdea28_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 77iceman said:

Or....maybe his Sioux-head logo wasn't that spectacular either???  With an unbiased eye i've always thought it was just another indian head logo.  Just sayin

Please don't go there...Ice...Man...:)

th?id=OIP.FE7TptMA1JQ7CVL7pPQnHQEsDD&pid=15.1&P=0&w=252&h=165

9 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I graduated as a Maroon and Grey.

As did I (Class of 1993).

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You mean like the Grand Forks Central "Maroon and Gray" :D

I didn't like that whole "Maroon and Gray" thing either. That whole issue was horribly handled by the School Board and the suits at Central. I think I'll see that ugly interlocking "GF" in my nightmares for the rest of my life! :angry::glare::(

Having said all that, Knights has worked out wonderfully for Central.....even if Climax-Fisher didn't want us to use it! :silly:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

As did I (Class of 1993).

I didn't like that whole "Maroon and Gray" thing either. That whole issue was horribly handled by the School Board and the suits at Central. I think I'll see that ugly interlocking "GF" in my nightmares for the rest of my life! :angry::glare::(

Having said all that, Knights has worked out wonderfully for Central.....even if Climax-Fisher didn't want us to use it! :silly:

I always found that funny. 

• Upvote 1