SiouxSports.com Forum

Oh, the Anxiety....

BobIwabuchiFan

So what happens when we wake up Friday morning and SL's case has been tossed out of Federal court because of lack standing in a matter strictly between UND and the NCAA?

I am quite certain that the resident "Fools Three" will be more entertaining than usual with their hysterical rants about "murder", "hate crimes", "rights", etc. And one will probably complain about his gaseous belly ...

• Upvote 3

You are a fan of a name and logo, not a fan of the University of North Dakota. I get how you feel. You don't want the teams to be known by any other name. But there comes a point where you have to let your selfish desires not blind you by reality. You will take the Sioux team under sanctions, but is that really what is best for the University? Killing our athletic department so you can see your team where a cool looking jersey? Just because you don't want to change, doesn't mean UND shouldn't. Open your eyes!!

Exactly...I am a huge University of North Carolina Tar Heels fan. If, for some reason, they were voting whether or not to keep the "Tar Heel" name (and I lived in NC, I would abstain from voting. Why? Because I did not attend school there and have no connection other than I like Carolina Blue and the Nickname Tarheels. I would hate to see it go, but I would not help in ruining their school over my own selfish reasons.

You are a fan of a name and logo, not a fan of the University of North Dakota. I get how you feel. You don't want the teams to be known by any other name. But there comes a point where you have to let your selfish desires not blind you by reality. You will take the Sioux team under sanctions, but is that really what is best for the University? Killing our athletic department so you can see your team where a cool looking jersey? Just because you don't want to change, doesn't mean UND shouldn't. Open your eyes!!

What scares me is the way North Dakotans have acted in the past. Past actions could carry the keep the name vote.
  • Upvote 1

I'm a fan of the North Dakota Fighting Sioux. I do not want UND athletics to exist under a different nickname. If the two choices are a Sioux team under sanctions or no team at all, I'll take the Sioux team under sanctions as my "lesser of two evils" choice. Anybody who wants the nickname gone (for whatever reason) has no business putting a Sioux logo in their avatar.

Those aren't the two choices. They are: keep a nickname lose teams (football at least) and water down hockey, or retire the name and allow the athletic department prosper. There are no other options.

That's because you have no skin in the game... That's because you never spent a day in the classroom at UND, you don't feel any connection to UND other than sports. UND will be UND no matter what name they call it. Thank God it won't be Flicker Tail either.

prefer it would be Flickertails in a great conference like the Big Sky than Fighting Sioux in independent quicksand. go Prairie Dawgs!

If you pick to retire the name UND will be off of sanctions, will be able to host football playoff games and scheduling will become easier. If you vote to keep the name. No matter how good our football team does we will NEVER see them host a playoff game, scheduling will be tougher (South Dakota State has threatened to cancel the 2013 game), and we will continue to lose recruits to teams that can host a playoff game like NDSU, SDSU, and USD. For the good of the school and the athletic department...retire the name. For those who ONLY believe in a nickname instead of the athlete...vote for the name. Just remember Grand Forks Central has had their name retired against their will (GF School Board) and its been Redskin-less since 1991. GFC has won titles in hockey, football, and basketball since. UND can survive without the Fighting Sioux name and logo.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but....I know what happens if I vote either way....what I am debating is how I can vote without using just my emotions.

Sorry, I can't read through the whole thread, does anybody know where DaveK stands on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Something about an evil scenario with a Sioux team under sanctions, I got bored so I'm waiting for the movie.

(Sigh)... Again please let me make this perfectly clear : In a lessor of two evils scenario I would rather have a Sioux team under sanctions than no Sioux team at all. What part of that do you not understand?

But you don't have the REAL evil listed.

No UND athletic department.

What is so hard to understand about that? ????

• Upvote 2

I don't see that as a real possibility, only a far-fetched doomsday scenario being thrown out there by the anti-nickname crowd in an attempt to scare pro-nickname people over to the wrong side. They would exist under sanctions before shutting down the entire athletic department, and only an idiot would believe otherwise.

Some form of athletic department may survive. But the football team being eliminated is a distinct possibility if UND loses its place in the Big Sky.
  • Upvote 1

Don't forget that he believes that Spirit Lake will magically destroy the evil NCAA in court and a new organization will rise from the ashes to replace it.

Order of the Phoenix Athletic Association

Harry Potter, Commissioner

"Wizards, witches, cheaters, offensive names and logos...we accept everybody. Except BYU, but that's just common sense". :bigsmile:

• Upvote 4

I don't see that as a real possibility, only a far-fetched doomsday scenario being thrown out there by the anti-nickname crowd in an attempt to scare pro-nickname people over to the wrong side. They would exist under sanctions before shutting down the entire athletic department, and only an idiot would believe otherwise.

Rob Port is that you?

Question for you Dave: YOu say wou can life with the sanctions. That's fine. But do you really think that Football program can live with NEVER hosting a playoff game? Do you think that the football team can recruit when recruits know that they can NEVER host a playoff game? Don't you think this is going to affect the quality of team we are going to have?

These are facts. Keep the name, no home playoff games. Maybe you are willing to make that sacrifice, but for the guys on the football team that bust their butts every day in practice and give it their all for every game, I think they deserve a chance to play a home football game if they earn it. Don't you agree??

• Upvote 3

Question for you Dave: YOu say wou can life with the sanctions. That's fine. But do you really think that Football program can live with NEVER hosting a playoff game? Do you think that the football team can recruit when recruits know that they can NEVER host a playoff game? Don't you think this is going to affect the quality of team we are going to have?

These are facts. Keep the name, no home playoff games. Maybe you are willing to make that sacrifice, but for the guys on the football team that bust their butts every day in practice and give it their all for every game, I think they deserve a chance to play a home football game if they earn it. Don't you agree??

Dave would rather let the athletic department be totally destroyed rather than lose the name. So giving up playoff games is trivial to Dave.
  • Upvote 3

The sanctions will more than likely mean no conference home for football and basketball (I do not believe that the Big Sky is bluffing). That would plunge the athletic department into a sea of red ink that no amount of REA beer revenues could compensate for. We would have to switch to non-scholarship status for all non-hockey programs and run a shoe string, bargain basement operation using whatever revenues we get from Men's Hockey. And even then, it would be difficult to make it work.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but....I know what happens if I vote either way....what I am debating is how I can vote without using just my emotions.

That would be impossible. I will be emotional when I vote to retire the name. I know what it means to vote yes, but its still a part of me. I grew up being a Fighting Sioux fan and would love nothing for UND to keep the name, but since the NCAA took the knife and stabbed every Sioux fan in the heart in 2005 I know there is nothing I can do to keep the name that will NOT hurt the school overall. Emotions will run high, people will vote No thinking that in some way its sticking it to the NCAA when in reality they are sticking it to the UND athletic department. So when you go to the polls in June do this....get your ballot, go to a spot, read the first question, take a deep breath, and vote YES, then when you are done with that go to measure #2 (the elimination of property taxes), and etc. hand it in, and know you just saved the University of North Dakota from death.

applause applause - A no vote will just extend SL's hope & show the State is still behind them

If SL fails there can be yet another vote to remove the name if all the bad things happen that many say will happen

applause applause - A no vote will just extend SL's hope & show the State is still behind them

If SL fails there can be yet another vote to remove the name if all the bad things happen that many say will happen

When all the bad things happen, then it's too late. The law in North Dakota has nothing to do with the success or failure of Spirit Lake's lawsuit against the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

These two things are separate issues, quit inferring they are tied together.

• Upvote 1

You remember the story of King Solomon who instructed his servant to cut a baby in two pieces, so that the real mother of the child would cry out to save the child? Well those of you who are willing to keep the nickname are clearly willing to cut the child in Two. The Real supporters of your university are stepping out to retire the nickname and save what is important. For those of you willing to sacrifice the university for a nickname, your bluff has been called. For the save the nickname at all cost folks, get to the back of the line behind the "Real" supporters of UND.

• Upvote 2

Here's the thing about that... I don't believe that the sanctions will last forever. They will last for however long the NCAA is able to fend off the eternal legal attacks that are brought against them as a result of said sanctions. They are in the wrong and will not get away with this crime, at least not permanantly. They might get away with it for a few years but eventually they will get what is coming to them.

Who is bringing these eternal lawsuits? The only school that has brought any lawsuit is UND. Once Spirit Lake gets shot down who do you expect to step up?