SiouxSports.com Forum

Oh, the Anxiety....

BobIwabuchiFan

Here's the thing about that... I don't believe that the sanctions will last forever. They will last for however long the NCAA is able to fend off the eternal legal attacks that are brought against them as a result of said sanctions. They are in the wrong and will not get away with this crime, at least not permanantly. They might get away with it for a few years but eventually they will get what is coming to them.

Tell that to the States of Mississippi and South Carolina.

Here's the thing about that... I don't believe that the sanctions will last forever. They will last for however long the NCAA is able to fend off the eternal legal attacks that are brought against them as a result of said sanctions. They are in the wrong and will not get away with this crime, at least not permanantly. They might get away with it for a few years but eventually they will get what is coming to them.

What crime is it that the NCAA is committing? How many times do you need to be told that they are a private organization in which the member institutions make the rules (one of which is UND)? Their game, their rules. Just because you don't like something or you think it isn't fair doesn't make it a crime.

• Upvote 2

I'm not compromising any principles or beliefs. I spent five years as a member of the UND football program and don't want to see a program that I was a part of destroyed because crybabies like yourself can't accept not getting your way. Every one of my former teammates that I've discussed the nickname with agrees that it's time drop the nickname. All of my former coaches are now opposed to keeping the nickname. Everyone who built the programs at UND recognizes that the nickname needs to go. The only people I know who are in favor of keeping it are uninformed, low information fans and people like yourself who want to punish UND for trying to drop the nickname.

If you're so firm in your convictions I challenge you to go the spring game this weekend to preach your message that sanctions aren't that big of a sacrifice for the nickname. Tell that to some of the players and their families and see what kind of response you get. I think it's somewhat telling that no one from the nickname at all costs crowd has been willing to address the athletes at UND in any official or unofficial setting. I'd guess they haven't, as most are total cowards who'd immediately be forced to back off their positions when challenged by those with an actual stake in the university.

Also, I hope you're inability to compromise doesn't carry over to your personal and professional life. It's my experience that people who are are unwilling to compromise on anything usually end up as unemployed losers with zero prospects for success. This may already be your case but that's still not a good reason to expect UND to take the same path.

This - but I guess former players are not "real fans" because they are now anti-nickname and don't understand that the sanctions are not a big deal and a couple "real fans" like Dave and Fetch could live with the sanctions.

• Upvote 3

I'm not compromising any principles or beliefs. I spent five years as a member of the UND football program and don't want to see a program that I was a part of destroyed because crybabies like yourself can't accept not getting your way. Every one of my former teammates that I've discussed the nickname with agrees that it's time drop the nickname. All of my former coaches are now opposed to keeping the nickname. Everyone who built the programs at UND recognizes that the nickname needs to go. The only people I know who are in favor of keeping it are uninformed, low information fans and people like yourself who want to punish UND for trying to drop the nickname.

Not compromising on your principles or beliefs? So you were never a Sioux fan to begin with? Just started to play football for UND with no reverance or respect for the nickname and its legacy? I guess its now easy for me to understand your unwillingness to stand for the nickname since it seems you never gave a damn anyways...but why continue to keep the word "Sioux" in your name - whats that all about or are you a Native American? As for your statement that everyone "who built the program" agrees to lose the nickname, its patently false and goes to show your arguement is more a figment of your imagination than factual information. No one is looking to punish UND for the nickname - we want UND to live up to its values and principles and not bow to PC or the bully, but as you state that must be the beliefs of the minority of low information fans you speak of above. Note that "building the program" includes the low information fans who paid for your ass to play football and receive a college education for free from UND - get off the high horse once in a while and understand the people in the stands outnumber the individuals like yourself on the field.

If you're so firm in your convictions I challenge you to go the spring game this weekend to preach your message that sanctions aren't that big of a sacrifice for the nickname. Tell that to some of the players and their families and see what kind of response you get. I think it's somewhat telling that no one from the nickname at all costs crowd has been willing to address the athletes at UND in any official or unofficial setting. I'd guess they haven't, as most are total cowards who'd immediately be forced to back off their positions when challenged by those with an actual stake in the university.

As a matter of fact, I tailgate every football game and have parents of the players who enjoy the tailgaiting food and refreshments of my tailgate. I have spoken to them about the name change and the need for UND to fight it and they support the fight - must be those low information parents of players who are in the minority again. As being cowards, I know of many who have put their names in the Herald or other papers and stated the same they have stated in this website - probably more courageous than the guy who states everyone who means anything to the program all agree with him...why don't you try some of your own advice and make your comments on how the low information fans and crybabies who didn't build the progream have no right to stop the retirement of the nickname and should keep their mouths shut because they don't really count when compared to the supposed vocal majority you represent who really "built the program".

Also, I hope you're inability to compromise doesn't carry over to your personal and professional life. It's my experience that people who are are unwilling to compromise on anything usually end up as unemployed losers with zero prospects for success. This may already be your case but that's still not a good reason to expect UND to take the same path.

And vice-versa, I hope your ability to flip flop on your principles doesn't carry over to your personal and professional life. Its been my experience that people who don't stand for something tend to fall for everthing and end up being gullable losers no one can trust. This may already be your case but thats still not a good reason to expect UND and the Fighting Sioux to take the same path.

Bob

• Upvote 1

The membership at large voted to give the NCAA Executive Committee the power to set policy on issues like this.

The vote was in the same timeframe as the settlement. It served to prevent UND from suing on the basis of "the Exec Comm doesn't have this power". After the vote they do.

However, what the membership also did in that same vote is effectively give the Exec Comm the keys to the candy store.

someone needs to follow this ncaa & it's meetings & retreats & spending I'm sure with the kind of money they deal with there are up to shenanigans Karma will really get them someday BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG

someone needs to follow this ncaa & it's meetings & retreats & spending ...

Let's try this one more time:

The NCAA is a private organization.

The NCAA is not a branch of any level of government.

The NCAA is not much different than a private country club. They make the rules for members. Like it or leave (or worse).

wrong is wrong - evil is evil - they will keep screwing up & get caught

As a private organization they can do whatever they want within the law. It doesn't matter if you or others don't like it. It isn't a morale issue or a case of right versus wrong. They only have to please the membership and stay out of trouble with the legal system. As of now they have pleased their membership (because the members make a lot of money) and they haven't broken laws so the legal system leaves them alone.