SiouxSports.com Forum

Oh, the Anxiety....

BobIwabuchiFan

I read today the article on the new TV schedule for the Big Sky on DirecTv and I am so anxious about our ability to get into the Big Sky...I know they state we are on the schedule, but like Faison and Kelley say we are in a precarious position with the Big Sky by not getting rid of the Sioux nickname...I'm just waiting for the final shoe to fall and UND will be kicked out of the Big Sky which they aren't technically members yet...Oh, the anxiety...I hope the sky doesn't fall!

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 2

I wonder about the same thing....all these threads about the 1st season of football in the Big Sky presume we won't get 86'd if the June vote goes the wrong way. I can see most of the scheduled games against BS teams being played but as nonconference games and then in 2013 get ready for U. Sioux Falls and Dickinson State.

• Upvote 1

This sounds like a tongue-in-cheek post. :silly:

All sarcasm aside, the Big Sky has made it abundantly clear from the start that if UND does not get rid of the sanctions (either by getting off the H&A List or dropping the name), they are not interested in having us as a member. Have they said that explicitly? No. But based on all their public statements over the past 2 years, have they not implied that one of the qualifications for membership is resolving the name issue one way or another? Yes, they have. They have been very consistent about this right from the start. If the SBoHE hadn't announced their intentions to drop the name and logo when they did, I don't think the Big Sky would have extended their invitation to us and we'd still be looking for a conference home. I guess if the nickname-at-all-costers wanted to help pay the bills of being a Division I Independent, we could take another look at it. But since that likely isn't going to happen, we had better resolve this issue ASAP or else UND athletics as we have known them will cease to exist.

But at least we can keep that sizzling FB rivalry with Sioux Falls College going, right? :silly:

This sounds like a tongue-in-cheek post. :silly:

All sarcasm aside, the Big Sky has made it abundantly clear from the start that if UND does not get rid of the sanctions (either by getting off the H&A List or dropping the name), they are not interested in having us as a member. Have they said that explicitly? No. But based on all their public statements over the past 2 years, have they not implied that one of the qualifications for membership is resolving the name issue one way or another? Yes, they have. They have been very consistent about this right from the start. If the SBoHE hadn't announced their intentions to drop the name and logo when they did, I don't think the Big Sky would have extended their invitation to us and we'd still be looking for a conference home. I guess if the nickname-at-all-costers wanted to help pay the bills of being a Division I Independent, we could take another look at it. But since that likely isn't going to happen, we had better resolve this issue ASAP or else UND athletics as we have known them will cease to exist.

But at least we can keep that sizzling FB rivalry with Sioux Falls College going, right? :silly:

Hey come on now Notre Dame does quite well as an independant. :whistling:

Hey come on now Notre Dame does quite well as an independant. :whistling:

Apples and Oranges comparisons are entertaining, but not accurate to the matter at hand. Notre Dame is an independent in FOOTBALL, but all their other sports are in the Big East. They knew it wasn't economically viable to remain an independent in everything a long time ago and thus they joined a legitimate, established conference. I honestly hope this post is a joke; if so please accept my apology.

I read today the article on the new TV schedule for the Big Sky on DirecTv and I am so anxious about our ability to get into the Big Sky...I know they state we are on the schedule, but like Faison and Kelley say we are in a precarious position with the Big Sky by not getting rid of the Sioux nickname...I'm just waiting for the final shoe to fall and UND will be kicked out of the Big Sky which they aren't technically members yet...Oh, the anxiety...I hope the sky doesn't fall!

BobIwabuchiFan

The athletes, coaches, and most of the fans and alumni no longer want to be known as the Fighting Sioux anymore. Grow up and deal with. Please find another team to be a fan of and stop being such a crying, whiny bitch.

• Upvote 1

Apples and Oranges comparisons are entertaining, but not accurate to the matter at hand. Notre Dame is an independent in FOOTBALL, but all their other sports are in the Big East. They knew it wasn't economically viable to remain an independent in everything a long time ago and thus they joined a legitimate, established conference. I honestly hope this post is a joke; if so please accept my apology.

Apology not needed. It was a joke but your responce is a perfect analogy of why we need a conference. The only reason they survive is because TV seems to think that there is a big market watching Notre Dame playing mediocre football. Take the TV dollars a way and how fast do they want a conference?
  • Upvote 1

The athletes, coaches, and most of the fans and alumni no longer want to be known as the Fighting Sioux anymore. Grow up and deal with. Please find another team to be a fan of and stop being such a crying, whiny bitch.

So what do you mean when you say that?

What a classy method of getting your point across. I'm sure many alumni and friends of UND are now in agreement with you after you're articulated your points so well.

The June vote is critical. I'm a UND alumnus but don't live in ND anymore. Do you people in ND have a sense as to how the voting is going to go?

IMO its too close to call. You have the folks that still believe the NCAA and the BSC are just BSing about these sanctions and booting us out, on the other hand you are having more and more UND officials, coaches and more importantly former players coming out saying this will hurt the university and its time to retire the name for the good of the athletics program. Plus they changed the wording on the measure you now have to vote yes to retire the name and no to keep the name. I think that alone may swing the vote either way. Do people think that the NCAA will care how the people in Sioux County will vote on this? They care what the Tribal Council will say not the people. Until the tribal council listens to their people like they did at Spirit Lake they will NEVER change their mind. RETIRE THE NAME!!! VOTE YES!

I think this election will have lots of interest due to measure 2 No State Property Tax but I think it will fail this time - Referral votes usually get no votes - so I can see No votes being the top of ticket - That & it's just the right thing to do to wait & give SL their day in court

All that Fetch, Dave K, and BobIwabuchiFan do is sit on this forum and whine and complain because the school wants to get rid of the nickname. They're hoping to destroy UND athletics just because they didn't get their way on the nickname issue. That's the sad truth of a lot of the nickname supporters. They're behaving like three year olds and it's time we started calling it like it is. This isn't all nickname supporters but it's definitely those three and probably Chewy as well as a good contingent of those circulating these petitions.

Call it what you will and employ the hyperbole and histrionics, if you must. The nickname has done nothing and is a huge part of the tradition at UND. The school has done nothing. The players have done nothing. If you want examples of puerile behavior, you have to look no further than the NCAA itself, many of the professors and administrators at UND, Pat Seaworth - attorney for the University system, who publicly equated the Sioux jerseys as being just pieces of dirty laundry that get thrown in a pile at the end of a game, much to the consternation of the Sioux indians (in truth - at least according to Mike Commodore - the jerseys never touch the ground), the SBoHE who can't seem to handle the situation with any kind of tact or competency and who push up deadlines in response to a tribal-wide vote and the President of which makes baseless allegations concerning Notre Dame not wanting to play UND, Faison making broad and irresponsible claims and then saying he's "mistaken" or whatever after the Terry Wanless interview, the SBoHE actively participating in the legislative process (lobbying, etc) and then saying that the very law they were lobbying against is unconstitutional (wouldn't that mean that the law allowing the retirement of the nickname- for which they lobbied intensely - is also unconstitutional?), spineless Congressional delegation who won't commit one way or another, etc.

A lot of very committed people are addressing a massive screw-job in which the SBoHE, though its obvious and irresponsible incompetence, has been actively complicit. A lot of very committed Sioux Indians demand that their ceremonies be respected and demand that they are heard. There was never any good faith detente or engagement with the tribes at all. The moving up of the deadline by the SBoHE was certainly an indication of that and there are, no doubt, other examples. Call it whatever you will. It's a matter of perspective and you are obviously entitled to yours.

• Upvote 3

IMO its too close to call. You have the folks that still believe the NCAA and the BSC are just BSing about these sanctions and booting us out, on the other hand you are having more and more UND officials, coaches and more importantly former players coming out saying this will hurt the university and its time to retire the name for the good of the athletics program. Plus they changed the wording on the measure you now have to vote yes to retire the name and no to keep the name. I think that alone may swing the vote either way. Do people think that the NCAA will care how the people in Sioux County will vote on this? They care what the Tribal Council will say not the people. Until the tribal council listens to their people like they did at Spirit Lake they will NEVER change their mind. RETIRE THE NAME!!! VOTE YES!

I would agree that it is probably too close to call. One thing that concerns me though is not everyone is going to understand it with the change in wording and will just pick one.....which means that the ending will not be a true vote of the people. I haven't actually decided which way I am going to go on this because I am torn about what to do.

d1siouxfan, I would be careful about generalizations such as "most of the fans and alumni". Unless you go out and ask every single fan and every single alumni that question, you have no way of knowing for sure. Unless you use sampling or another method....and that is still a generalization.

Now who's crying and whining at the potential of not getting their way? I'm sorry to break the news to you, but those of us who support the Fighting Sioux will fight you every step of the way in your cruel attempt to brutally murder our beloved nickname. We're not coming over to join you on the dark side and never will, deal with it.

As a former athlete who poured blood, sweat, and tears into the programs at UND I"m disgusted that you're going to have more of a say in this than I am. What have you ever done for the athletic program at UND other than sit on your ass and cheer at hockey games? What was your contribution to building up the nickname you supposedly love so much?

• Upvote 2

IMO its too close to call. You have the folks that still believe the NCAA and the BSC are just BSing about these sanctions and booting us out...

Rob Port keeps telling us that the Big Sky Conference is bluffing. Has to be true right? :whistling::silly:

Call it what you will and employ the hyperbole and histrionics, if you must. The nickname has done nothing and is a huge part of the tradition at UND. The school has done nothing. The players have done nothing. If you want examples of puerile behavior, you have to look no further than the NCAA itself, many of the professors and administrators at UND, Pat Seaworth - attorney for the University system, who publicly equated the Sioux jerseys as being just pieces of dirty laundry that get thrown in a pile at the end of a game, much to the consternation of the Sioux indians (in truth - at least according to Mike Commodore - the jerseys never touch the ground), the SBoHE who can't seem to handle the situation with any kind of tact or competency and who push up deadlines in response to a tribal-wide vote and the President of which makes baseless allegations concerning Notre Dame not wanting to play UND, Faison making broad and irresponsible claims and then saying he's "mistaken" or whatever after the Terry Wanless interview, the SBoHE actively participating in the legislative process (lobbying, etc) and then saying that the very law they were lobbying against is unconstitutional (wouldn't that mean that the law allowing the retirement of the nickname- for which they lobbied intensely - is also unconstitutional?), spineless Congressional delegation who won't commit one way or another, etc.

A lot of very committed people are addressing a massive screw-job in which the SBoHE, though its obvious and irresponsible incompetence, has been actively complicit. A lot of very committed Sioux Indians demand that their ceremonies be respected and demand that they are heard. There was never any good faith detente or engagement with the tribes at all. The moving up of the deadline by the SBoHE was certainly an indication of that and there are, no doubt, other examples. Call it whatever you will. It's a matter of perspective and you are obviously entitled to yours.

Chewy, why don't you do us all a favor and not post on this topic until you have an original thought instead of continually posting your same laundry list of perceived grievances over and over again.

As a former athlete who poured blood, sweat, and tears into the programs at UND I"m disgusted that you're going to have more of a say in this than I am. What have you ever done for the athletic program at UND other than sit on your ass and cheer at hockey games? What was your contribution to building up the nickname you supposedly love so much?

Don't worry, I am going to cancel DaveK's vote out. You can count on that.

• Upvote 2

Now who's crying and whining at the potential of not getting their way? I'm sorry to break the news to you, but those of us who support the Fighting Sioux will fight you every step of the way in your cruel attempt to brutally murder our beloved nickname. We're not coming over to join you on the dark side and never will, deal with it.

To paraphrase David Antin: you'll never find out what everyone else understands without giving up your stubborn hard-won lack of understanding.

Other than in hockey, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa have all blacklisted UND. Saying that the Big Sky would not retract UND membership only makes sense if it can be demonstrated that the mindset demonstrated by these three schools is restricted to the upper Midwest, a proposition that I find preposterous.

You're voting in favor of putting the Fighting Sioux to death... and you have a Sioux logo as your avatar.

Hypocrite! :glare:

no dumb *$$ I understand that UND will be hurt if it keeps the name, I love the Fighting Sioux nickname but I don't want the school to suffer. That's hardly hypocritical.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1