SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

My only asks for 2012-13 are:

FIRST:

- go the the WCHA Final Five as either the #1 or #2 seed (so they have no more than two games in two days)

or

- focus less on winning the Final Five if it means three games in three days

LAST

View the NCAAs as the post-season tournament to three-peat from now on.

Your post brings to mind Andy Schneider. He was interviewed after the Sioux played for third place at the Final Five. I don't remember the exact quote but paraphased,he said, 'It doesn't matter if we're playing for first place or third place. We're playing for the tradition of the program and the crest on our chest.' There was more but I don't remember it all.

Don't look for our boys to hold back....ever.

Your post brings to mind Andy Schneider. He was interviewed after the Sioux played for third place at the Final Five. I don't remember the exact quote but paraphased,he said, 'It doesn't matter if we're playing for first place or third place. We're playing for the tradition of the program and the crest on our chest.' There was more but I don't remember it all.

agreed. if we don't win the final five this year we probably end up getting shipped out east to play in bc's bracket-do we finally beat them this year, probably not. is the reason we lost to minny at the regional because we won the final five-no. the loss to end our season was a culmination of several factors. we played a better and deeper team,our goaltender had a bad day and the lack of a full and deep lineup finally caught up with us. none of that is beacuse we played three games in three days.

agreed. if we don't win the final five this year we probably end up getting shipped out east to play in bc's bracket-do we finally beat them this year, probably not. is the reason we lost to minny at the regional because we won the final five-no. the loss to end our season was a culmination of several factors. we played a better and deeper team,our goaltender had a bad day and the lack of a full and deep lineup finally caught up with us. none of that is beacuse we played three games in three days.

Agree

none of that is beacuse we played three games in three days.

Disagree. I looked back at the WCHA record in the NCAA's over the last decade.

Teams that played more WCHA playoff games have poorer records. Teams that played 6 WCHA games have never won an NCAA game in the last decade. One team that lost in WCHA round 1 went on to win it all (Denver), while another that lost in round 1 (CC, last year) went on to upset vaunted BC.

The NCHC needs to ease up on the meat grinder that is league playoffs. Let's give our teams a fighting chance to win in the NCAA's.

PS. If you need more proof, look at how much better the CCHA has done since switching playoff formats.

Read below

....... none of that is beacuse we played three games in three days.

I don't know for sure but I'm not sure that can be tossed out as a factor, as farce poobah just pointed out.

Goalies (3): Maris (Sr), Saunders (Jr), Gothberg (Fr)

Forwards (16): Rowney (Sr), Kristo (Sr), Knight (Sr), Rodwell (Jr), Mitch MacMillan (Jr), Dickin (Jr), Gaarder (So), Mark MacMillan (So), O'Donnell (So), Parks (So), Pattyn (So), Grimaldi (Fr), St. Clair (Fr), Chyzyk (Fr), Koules (Fr), Sanderson (Fr)

Defense (8): MacWilliam (Sr), Gleason (Sr), Simpson (Jr), Forbort (Jr), Mattson (So), Panzarella (So), Senkbeil (So), Schmaltz (Fr)

Parks-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Grimaldi-O'Donnell

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Pattyn-Gaarder/Koules-St. Clair

Extras: Mitch MacMillan, Dickin, Sanderson

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Extras: Panzarella, Senkbeil

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Forwards (16): Rowney (Sr), Kristo (Sr), Knight (Sr), Rodwell (Jr), Mitch MacMillan (Jr), Dickin (Jr), Gaarder (So), Mark MacMillan (So), O'Donnell (So), Parks (So), Pattyn (So), Grimaldi (Fr), St. Clair (Fr), Chyzyk (Fr), Koules (Fr), Sanderson (Fr)

Defense (8): MacWilliam (Sr), Gleason (Sr), Simpson (Jr), Forbort (Jr), Mattson (So), Panzarella (So), Senkbeil (So), Schmaltz (Fr)

Parks-Knight-Kristo

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Forgot Caggiula. Maybe Kristo's decision changes things, but as of yesterday he planned on coming this fall.

Forgot Caggiula. Maybe Kristo's decision changes things, but as of yesterday he planned on coming this fall.

Doh! That's right, forgot about him when I added Sanderson.

The Sioux are certainly not going to be lacking in players next season, unlike this year.

I think perhaps some people might be underestimating Mr. Caggiula. He is a darn good player and he steps it up come playoff time. The coaches are real high on him as well. He is going to be a gem for us. If you have ever watched him play he has some TJ Oshie qualities and real nice hands with a good shot. Oh and he is not afraid to get physical either.

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Extras: Panzarella,

i thought i read somewhere that Senkbeil is going to stay at forward...

i thought i read somewhere that Senkbeil is going to stay at forward...

I think you are referring to Hakstol's comment that the coaches liked what Senkbeil did at forward in the role that he had. That isn't exactly saying he will stay at forward though, but that might be where they prefer to keep him. UND seems to have established a role of having at least one defense/forward player on the team and with Senkbeil and Gleason they now have two.

I think you are referring to Hakstol's comment that the coaches liked what Senkbeil did at forward in the role that he had. That isn't exactly saying he will stay at forward though, but that might be where they prefer to keep him. UND seems to have established a role of having at least one defense/forward player on the team and with Senkbeil and Gleason they now have two.

This is probably why people think he would stay at forward: http://twitter.com/#...660570433032193

The move to forward for Jim aka Dan Senkbeil may be a permanent one. Coaches like what he showed up front.

Parks-Knight-Kristo

Chyzyk-Rowney-Rodwell

Forbort-Schmaltz

MacWilliam-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Saunders

Gothberg

Maris

Maybe DiPuma as well last I heard he was still enrolled in school, but it seems to be a big question as to whether he was still with the team or not. Does anyone else get the feeling Dell may be staying? The Kristo decison definitely doesn't hurt the chances.

17 forwards ... yeah, one isn't eligible until January, but 17?

I suspect a low playing time guy, or a guy who isn't developing may be going elsewhere.

I've wondered about potential transfers as well. Perhaps a guy like Dickin would leave, because he really can't be looking at a ton of playing time next season.

On the other hand, we do have three forwards (Rodwell, O'Donnell, Grimaldi) coming off of season-ending surgeries, so with the possibility that one of them has a setback, maybe we're just keen on loading up on forwards so this year's situation does not repeat itself.

The more the better. I feel this upcoming year is our best chance to actually win in NC in a long time. If we have an abundance of forwards and guys like Senkbeil, Gaarder possibly, Dickin, or even some freshies like Koules or St. Clair sitting out, that's fine.

We need to go back to having 3 deep lines with a 4th line that grinds and plays well defensively.

I want to see a Sioux team with tremendous talent and depth, and I think you'll get that next year. Competition in practice should be an all-time high next year. If those players don't like it and don't want to compete for a NC, they can go elsewhere for more playing time.

Lastly, we all know not every line can have pure talent and skill for forwards. The lines will have to be mixed up a bit. That's why you'll see O'Donnell on 2nd line or 3rd along with Pattyn on 3rd possible 4th, being a great 4th line grinder. I fee like we'll have the epitome of the best 3rd line in the country next year, whomever plays on that line.

Caggiula should come, I think we need one more dynamic freshie as a scoring punch. He should be that guy. I'm a little optimistic on how quickly Koules and St. Clair adjust to the college game.

We need to go back to having 3 deep lines with a 4th line that grinds and plays well defensively.

haha..you make it sound like it was a conscious decision to be thin this year. circumstances and graduation dictated the roster this year. the previous years team was one of the deepest in program history. imo.