SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

I just think Macmillian-Grimaldi-Parks would be a dynamic pairing. All three have speed. They all can score at any point they are on the ice. They might not be the biggest guys on the ice but they will all get after it in the defensive zone. I really think if our first line comes back and with this line we would have the best 1-2 line combos that we have had in a long time. Throw in above average 3rd and 4th lines with talent throughout the dcorps and we should expect big things.

We could also split up the second line, making the 2nd and 3rd lines a little more equal, how about:

O'Donnell-Grimaldi-Parks

MacMillan-Rowney-Koules

I also think Chyzyk will have a very similar season to Parks this year, looking at the stats from Chyzyk's current year to Parks' last year in the USHL, they are very similar. More goals than assists and the point totals are pretty close as well. Keep in mind that this is Chyzyk's first year in the USHL and Parks played two.

Simply stated, Rocco Grimaldi isn't a third line player or talent. He belongs on the first line if not the second, but with the likelihood of Knight, Kristo, Nelson staying intact, there is no room for him on that first unit. He'll be playing with Parks and Mcmillan. Rowney gets the demotion making the team better and deeper with his talent at 3rd line center.

Fair point. I'm as high on Grimaldi as anyone, and I agree, he's a top-line talent. I think it's just hard to ignore what the second line did this year. Honestly I believe Kristo will bolt, and there will be an opening that Grimaldi should be able to fill.

Regardless of how it turns out, we are going to have some unbelievable forward depth (assuming health :unsure:).

Grimaldi-Knight-Nelson

Parks-McMillan-O'donnel

Rodwell-Rowney-Koules

Chyzyk-St.Clair-Patyn

McWilliam-Mattson

Forbert- Jones

Gleason-Simpson

Seems like a good mix with a great first two lines and good talent and hustle on the 3-4 lines. I believe Kristo is gone but Jones comes and is rookie of the year and Nelson is player of the year.

I'm sure many have seen this already, but Schlossman just re-tweeted this info per Chris Botta:

RT @ChrisBottaNHL: Isles tell first-rounder Brock Nelson they're ready when he is. They're putting no pressure on UND center to leave school

RT @ChrisBottaNHL: Nelson weighing options with advisor, family and UND Coach Hakstol. 3rd year of college/Frozen 4 bid vs. year in minors.

From the little we saw of Gramaldi I think he has the chanse to be the most elite scorer and creative offensive talent we've had since Parise. He may not be on the first line but he may lead the team in goals. Even on a bad knee you could see that 'it' to his game, I can't wait to see him play at 100%.

I'm sure many have seen this already, but Schlossman just re-tweeted this info per Chris Botta:

RT @ChrisBottaNHL: Isles tell first-rounder Brock Nelson they're ready when he is. They're putting no pressure on UND center to leave school

RT @ChrisBottaNHL: Nelson weighing options with advisor, family and UND Coach Hakstol. 3rd year of college/Frozen 4 bid vs. year in minors.

I've got a tweet for Brock: Isles tell first-rounder Brock Nelson to stay in school and play in front of 10,000 fans at every home game or sign a contract and play in the Nassau Coliseum, which appears to have its issues lately...

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2012/03/osha-new-york-state-investigating-coliseum-for-asbestos/

I'd be interested to hear the negotiations between Kristo and Les Habitants.....

I think a few posters have summed it up pretty well. Its either play another year of college hockey at a place that seems like a great place to play your college hockey, or play a year in the minors and get paid to play hockey.

I'd love to hear what Gregoire, Hextall, Travis Roche, etc... would say about their decision to leave school early.

I was wondering if Maris has tried to transfer to another team anywhere that would give him at least a 2nd string if not a start

I would bet no, based on the fact that Tate was simply enrolled as a student at UND before becoming part of the hockey team when they were in need of another practice goaltender. The kid is human though, and wouldn't be sane if he didn't want to get in a game at some point in time. Hopefully they find a home game for him to get a start in next year.

I was wondering if Maris has tried to transfer to another team anywhere that would give him at least a 2nd string if not a start

I don't think it's an easy role all of the time, but I really do think he loves being part of the Fighting Sioux family. Plus, his girlfriend is here. Not that having a girlfriend stopped anyone from leaving, but I think it's another reason to stick around.

I'd be interested to hear the negotiations between Kristo and Les Habitants.....

I think a few posters have summed it up pretty well. Its either play another year of college hockey at a place that seems like a great place to playe the last say. your college hockey, or play a year in the minors and get paid to play hockey.

I'd love to hear what Gregoire, Hextall, Travis Roche, etc... would say about their decision to leave school early.

Money always seems to have the last say.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but:

Guys like Wheeler and Gregoire...did they become FAs and then basically start negotiating with other teams right away? What I'm getting at is...has there been a guy who was drafted, made it to FA based on the rules, and then played out a season of NCAA before signing a pro contract or do they usually get to FA, and then start negotiating ASAP and give up their NCAA status?

Just seems odd to me that a guy would make it to Free Agency and play out a year "in limbo" so to speak.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but:

Guys like Wheeler and Gregoire...did they become FAs and then basically start negotiating with other teams right away? What I'm getting at is...has there been a guy who was drafted, made it to FA based on the rules, and then played out a season of NCAA before signing a pro contract or do they usually get to FA, and then start negotiating ASAP and give up their NCAA status?

Just seems odd to me that a guy would make it to Free Agency and play out a year "in limbo" so to speak.

I believe they have to officially declare that they are leaving school before they can become a free agent under that rule.

Money always seems to have the last say.

And after they sign and spend a year riding buses to craphole arenas with 1,000 people in the stands, they realize how good they had it on campus and wish they had waited. I think anyone that is thinking of leaving early should talk to someone that did and ask them about just how green the grass is on the other side. Unless you have a good chance to pay in the NHL your first year (Parise), you should think twice about leaving early. Like some others have said on this forum, work will be there when college is over, but once your college years are over, they are over and you can't go back.

I believe they have to officially declare that they are leaving school before they can become a free agent under that rule.

Correct. So long as they are in school, the team that drafted the player retains their rights. The player has the option, 4 years after they were drafted, to leave school, wait the time period (I believe 30 days), become a free agent, and sign with whoever. I don't believe that they can leave school, wait the time period, become a free agent, then go back to school to play college hockey.

I'm seeing folks not remembering Mitch MacMillan. Some may write him off as forgettable based on his time at SCSU.

I'll just point out how Mitch played with Mark as his center for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs in 2009-10:

Mitch MacMillan 59 61-32-93

Mark MacMillan 59 26-54-80

I'd take three semesters of performance at that level from those two playing together. ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm seeing folks not remembering Mitch MacMillan. Some may write him off as forgettable based on his time at SCSU.

I'll just point out how Mitch played with Mark as his center for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs in 2009-10:

Mitch MacMillan 59 61-32-93

Mark MacMillan 59 26-54-80

I'd take three semesters of performance at that level from those two playing together. ;)

Yeah those two might have a chemistry together and I scarey when you watch both of them skate it's hard to tell who is who... Mitch could turn out to be a very nice surprise next season...

I think people need to understand how good Clark Saunders could/will be on a good UND team, next year.

Saunders at UAH this past year.

## Goaltending (Overall) | GP Minutes GA Saves Shots Save% GAA Record Win% GS SO %Time
33 Clarke Saunders SO | 27 1534:16 95 918 1013 .906 3.72 2-23- 1 .096 26 0 82.2%
[/code]

The save percentage looks great; some will be down on the GAA. However, do the math on the GPA: He saw just under 40 shots per game this year.

If his save percentage held and he only saw the roughly 27 shots per game UND goalies saw his GAA goes to 2.54.

What would 0.906 and 2.54 get you in the WCHA this year?

The 0.906 would be 10th, just ahead of UMD's Kenny Reiter.

The 2.54 would be 5th, again, just ahead of UMD's Kenny Reiter.