SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

jodcon

Yeah, only Minnesota stands in BC's way for another championship. No offense to Ferris or Union but if BC beats Minnesota, they will have no problem winning the title game.

Jeff Lerg and Michigan State say hi.

Union and Ferris State are playing with house money at this point, and whoever wins that semi should not be discounted in the final.

Congrats on the great season guys. I doubted your team would make it this far halfway through the season and they more than proved me wrong. Goes to show that Hack is quite possibly the best coach in college hockey. We all know UND will be back very strong next season.

As a Gopher fan I'm VERY worried about BC. They haven't lost since mid January and they don't seem to have much of a weakness. We're no doubt the underdog going into that game. Hopefully the Chia pet can draw up a plan to slow them down.

One more year of this rivalry with only 2 guaranteed games. We better make it a damn good series.

Thanks, GFG.

Jeff Lerg and Michigan State say hi.

Union and Ferris State are playing with house money at this point, and whoever wins that semi should not be discounted in the final.

I stick with what I said but would be very happy if either Union or Ferris win the national title over BC and Minnesota.

I was at the regional this weekend and after today's game talked to a number of Sioux fans. While all were disappointed in the loss, everyone felt that this team accomplished much more than anyone expected given the hand they were dealt. MN played well and the Sioux did not get any bounces. Patterson was solid, but not spectacular. The Sioux gave it an effort, but I think playing shorthanded finally caught up with them. The play and hustle of the freshmen was a joy to watch. My thanks to the team and coaching staff for an incredible year, clearly demonstrating Fighting Sioux pride and spirit. And, they provided the memory of the 6-3 win over MN in the Final Five.

• Upvote 1

I was at the regional this weekend and after today's game talked to a number of Sioux fans. While all were disappointed in the loss, everyone felt that this team accomplished much more than anyone expected given the hand they were dealt. MN played well and the Sioux did not get any bounces. Patterson was solid, but not spectacular. The Sioux gave it an effort, but I think playing shorthanded finally caught up with them. The play and hustle of the freshmen was a joy to watch. My thanks to the team and coaching staff for an incredible year, clearly demonstrating Fighting Sioux pride and spirit. And, they provided the memory of the 6-3 win over MN in the Final Five.

That 6-3 win over Minnesota at the Final Five was great. Definitely living with me for a long time.

Look at BC they have won 3 titles this decade. How come we have not done that? I just hope we can win a title soon.

How long was BC's title drought before their recent run? York has built up quite a program there, but BC had a VERY long gap between titles before finally getting that one in 2001. Same thing with Michigan.

How long was BC's title drought before their recent run? York has built up quite a program there, but BC had a VERY long gap between titles before finally getting that one in 2001. Same thing with Michigan.

You mean the 52 years between 1949 and 2001 for Boston College? Or the 32 years between for Michigan from 1964 to 1996? Or the 14 years for them now since 1998? Or the 23 years between 1979 and 2002 for Minnesota? Or 16 years for Wisconsin from 1990 to 2006? Or 35 years between 1969 and 2004 for Denver?
  • Upvote 3

We are very fortunate to have the history we do. Hak hasn't gotten us there yet, but here are two numbers to look at:

---Since Hak took over, every year there is a 1/16 chance of winning the title (if you are lucky enough to make the tournament...which Hak has done EVERY season so far, second longest streak in the country). Everyone is on equal terms and has equal opportunity if you are in the tournament. We've been darn close a number of times, but it's not like we are behind the 8 ball. Heck. Going back into the Dean Blais era, we've played 12 seasons since our last title. That's still less than the 1/16 number, and the last time we won the tournament, it was a 12 team format.

---We've been in 19 Frozen Fours and won 7 times. There is a 1/4 chance of winning it all once you make the Frozen Four. We'd have to lose 9 straight more Frozen Four opportunities to get down to that 1/4 mark. I'd say we are pretty fortunate.

The NCAA Tourney is a one-and-done format. I don't think that is a very good gauge to decide whether a coach is worthy of staying. If you look at all the success the team has had under Hakstol, you'll see what kind of coach he is. There is a reason why so many non-Sioux fans of college hockey adore guys like Hakstol...they know he is a great, young coach, and winning [or not winning] a title can be as flukey as anything. I'd say the pressure the fans put on the team to win the tournament is more detrimental than anything, especially the coach.

congrats on a great season to the sioux! not how anyone wanted it to end, but thats why they play the game, some you win and some you lose. Hakstol and his coaching staff did an unbelievable job coaching this team, to come from a terrible start to making it this far in the NCAA tourny is extremely commendable. I am looking forward to watching the guys play next year and I am hoping none of the underclassman decide to leave. Thank you again to the Seniors and good luck to them in the future!!

Congrats Sioux fans on a great year. I dread moving to the Big 10 for what it will mean to the Gopher-Sioux rivalry. Your team achieved above and beyond after the obstacles it faced. Look forward to many years (hopefully) of the best rivalry in college hockey.

You mean the 52 years between 1949 and 2001 for Boston College? Or the 32 years between for Michigan from 1964 to 1996? Or the 14 years for them now since 1998? Or the 23 years between 1979 and 2002 for Minnesota? Or 16 years for Wisconsin from 1990 to 2006? Or 35 years between 1969 and 2004 for Denver?

Thanks for the research. Really puts into perspective how difficult it is for even the best of hockey programs to win a NC and how foolish it looks to bash one of the best coaches in the country for "not winning the big one."

Just got done watching the game. I always watch the Sioux games late in the evening when the house is quiet after the kids are all snuggled in bed...

...so this loss is about 15min old for me and the quiet of the house is suckn about right now...

Tampa/Orlando was going to be the perfect golf/hockey/disney weekend

Yes, I am a Gopher fan. I come in peace.

I am seriously impressed with UNDs season. With everything that happened, it speaks volumes about the coaching staff and leadership in that locker room. What UND lacked in depth, they made up for with heart, determination and skill. This team could've said, "piss on it" many times this year, and they refused to do so. It quite possibly is the most remarkable coaching job we've seen in awhile.

If a "down" year for UND results in a #1 seed and an appearance in the Regional Final, I can't imagine what lies ahead based on the experience some of these kids got this year.

Let me also state, the last two games were what this great rivalry should be all about. It seems like regular season games are marred by chippiness, after the whistle crap, idiotic fan bases, etc. The Final Five and yesterday were all about the kids on the ice and some good hockey, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Kudos on a great season. Enjoy the off-season.

• Upvote 3

Yes, I am a Gopher fan. I come in peace.

I am seriously impressed with UNDs season. With everything that happened, it speaks volumes about the coaching staff and leadership in that locker room. What UND lacked in depth, they made up for with heart, determination and skill. This team could've said, "piss on it" many times this year, and they refused to do so. It quite possibly is the most remarkable coaching job we've seen in awhile.

If a "down" year for UND results in a #1 seed and an appearance in the Regional Final, I can't imagine what lies ahead based on the experience some of these kids got this year.

Let me also state, the last two games were what this great rivalry should be all about. It seems like regular season games are marred by chippiness, after the whistle crap, idiotic fan bases, etc. The Final Five and yesterday were all about the kids on the ice and some good hockey, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Kudos on a great season. Enjoy the off-season.

Thank you Johnny Five, I appreciate it. Your comments are welcomed after the taunting I had to deal with at Saturday's Minn-BU semifinal by a tool sitting in front of me. It's nice to know you aren't all like that. See you next season, the final season of the WCHA as we know it.

Thank you Johnny Five, I appreciate it. Your comments are welcomed after the taunting I had to deal with at Saturday's Minn-BU semifinal by a tool sitting in front of me. It's nice to know you aren't all like that. See you next season, the final season of the WCHA as we know it.

Nothing worse then sitting next to "flagguy" in section 108.

• Upvote 1

Isn't he right when he says ever coach that wins a championship is better than him?

Ever year ever team the most important thing by far is the National Championship....No one will remember how many Frozen Fours Hakstol had thirty years from now. OR How many times he choked all those frozen fours away.

I plused by accident. Am a big Hakstol supporter.