SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

jodcon

I dont care what the seeds were, you lost to a better team.

I agree. The Gophers were the better team all year. The Sioux had a great showing in the Final Five and accomplished a lot in the face of a lot of adversity. I am very proud of this Sioux team. However, in my way of thinking, the following are the highest accomplishments in order:

1. National championship

2. Frozen Four appearance

3. NCAA appearance

4. WCHA Title

5. Final 5 Title

The Gophers have a Frozen Four appearance and a WCHA title, and now have a chance to get a national title. They have a good team and deserve to be there. I don't expect them to beat BC, but they are one of the few teams that has a chance against BC. If they do beat BC, they should have an easy time with Ferris State or Union.

Yes, I am a Gopher fan. I come in peace.

I am seriously impressed with UNDs season. With everything that happened, it speaks volumes about the coaching staff and leadership in that locker room. What UND lacked in depth, they made up for with heart, determination and skill. This team could've said, "piss on it" many times this year, and they refused to do so. It quite possibly is the most remarkable coaching job we've seen in awhile.

If a "down" year for UND results in a #1 seed and an appearance in the Regional Final, I can't imagine what lies ahead based on the experience some of these kids got this year.

Let me also state, the last two games were what this great rivalry should be all about. It seems like regular season games are marred by chippiness, after the whistle crap, idiotic fan bases, etc. The Final Five and yesterday were all about the kids on the ice and some good hockey, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Kudos on a great season. Enjoy the off-season.

Classy post JF. Thumbs up from this rube.

I agree. The Gophers were the better team all year. The Sioux had a great showing in the Final Five and accomplished a lot in the face of a lot of adversity. I am very proud of this Sioux team. However, in my way of thinking, the following are the highest accomplishments in order:

1. National championship

3. NCAA appearance

4. WCHA Title

5. Final 5 Title

The Gophers have a Frozen Four appearance and a WCHA title, and now have a chance to get a national title. They have a good team and deserve to be there. I don't expect them to beat BC, but they are one of the few teams that has a chance against BC. If they do beat BC, they should have an easy time with Ferris State or Union.

Then again, BC was supposed to have an easy time with Michigan State in '07... you never know

1. National championship

3. NCAA appearance

4. WCHA Title

5. Final 5 Title

I would flip some of these around. I would probably put WCHA Title above an NCAA appearance, and maybe even put Final 5 Title above NCAA appearance. It is a lot more difficult to win the season of the WCHA than it is to just make it into the playoffs. Only 1 team can win that and it is a season long achievement. Where as 4 of the 12 WCHA teams made it to the NCAA's this year. I would also use the same reasoning to say winning the WCHA tournament is more difficult than just making it to the NCAA's...

• Upvote 1

Gwoz, Lucia, Red, and Eaves have a bunch of natties between them, but I don't think any of them could have taken this team as far as Hak and his staff did. Certainly not Lucia.

Lucia just won the WCHA title wire to wire and is on the way to Tampa with a team predicted to finish 6th in the league.

Yes, I am a Gopher fan. I come in peace.

I am seriously impressed with UNDs season. With everything that happened, it speaks volumes about the coaching staff and leadership in that locker room. What UND lacked in depth, they made up for with heart, determination and skill. This team could've said, "piss on it" many times this year, and they refused to do so. It quite possibly is the most remarkable coaching job we've seen in awhile.

If a "down" year for UND results in a #1 seed and an appearance in the Regional Final, I can't imagine what lies ahead based on the experience some of these kids got this year.

Let me also state, the last two games were what this great rivalry should be all about. It seems like regular season games are marred by chippiness, after the whistle crap, idiotic fan bases, etc. The Final Five and yesterday were all about the kids on the ice and some good hockey, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Kudos on a great season. Enjoy the off-season.

Great post, JF. I couldn't agree more. The last two games are what the rivalry is really all about. I will be pulling for the Gophers against Boston College, you can bet on that. I think this is one of Hakstol's greatest coaching jobs. I've never quite really understood the reasoning behind fans trying to oust either Hak or Lucia. Both have proven to be outstanding coaches through the years. Just because Michigan lost in the first round should Red Berenson be fired? Come on now. It;'s tough to be in charge of a topnotch program such as UND, Minnesota or Michigan with fans expecting a national championship each year. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, I guess.

Great post, JF. I couldn't agree more. The last two games are what the rivalry is really all about. I will be pulling for the Gophers against Boston College, you can bet on that. I think this is one of Hakstol's greatest coaching jobs. I've never quite really understood the reasoning behind fans trying to oust either Hak or Lucia. Both have proven to be outstanding coaches through the years. Just because Michigan lost in the first round should Red Berenson be fired? Come on now. It;'s tough to be in charge of a topnotch program such as UND, Minnesota or Michigan with fans expecting a national championship each year. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, I guess.

I'll be pulling for Ferris State

• Upvote 1

Everyone knew it was an uphill battle to win again this weekend at the X. UND has been on the road and played 5 games in 10 days with a shorthanded squad. The gophers have been home every night for about a month and only played 3 games in the last 2 weeks. The Sioux put up a valiant fight and played their hearts out this season, but it was a long road and no easy games. This team was given up for dead 3 weeks into the conference schedule, and look where they ended up!

Kudos to Coach Hakstol, Captain Lammy and the rest of the team and coaches for a very entertaining hockey season.

• Upvote 3

Dave, 5-3 Gophers? What were you thinking?

Much to my chagrin, your prediction was nearly dead on. Every week my kids ask me what does Hamburger (their nickname for you) think?

Your analysis of Sioux hockey is amazing. Keep it up next year.

Thank you for the kind words, and I will definitely be back at it next year. Teaser alert: watch for my "Top Ten Sioux Hockey Moments from 2011-2012" coming later this week.

And to your kids: tell them the Hamburger says hello!

Dave

Lucia just won the WCHA title wire to wire and is on the way to Tampa with a team predicted to finish 6th in the league.

And Notre Dame is home watching the whole tournament...a team predicted to win the national championship.

Pre-season polls are worthless.

• Upvote 2

I thought my comment might be misinterpreted. Lucia is damn good. I only meant that I don't think Lucia would have taken this group of players farther. Eaves, who I do not hold in higher regard than Lucia, might have, I think because of his focus on discipline and the systems he coaches. I was just too lazy (and full of sh!!! probably) to go into it. You were right to call me out on it, though.

buckysieve's signature made me laugh:

"The University of North Dakota Fighting Whioux?

Minnesota Golden Gophers

#1 all time in NCAA wins

#1 all time in NCAA tourney appearances

#1 all time in NCAA tourney wins"

Is it wrong for me to say that this just shows the record of a team that "just couldn't quite finish it off?"

NCAA WINS:

Sioux = 7 (15 appearances to Frozen Four) win % of .46

Gophers = 5 (19 appearances to Frozen Four) win % of .26

Minnesota Golden Gophers

#1 all time in NCAA wins

Is it wrong for me to say that this just shows the record of a team that "just couldn't quite finish it off?"

NCAA WINS:

Im not even sure those stats are correct anymore. They were true when I made the sig years ago but i think Michigan may have passed us with these crappy years we just went through.

Minnesota Golden Gophers

#1 all time in NCAA wins

NCAA WINS:

We are 7 of 19 Frozen Fours. Gophers are 5 of 19 with the 20th appearance pending. Still better, but not as significantly.

We are 7 of 19 Frozen Fours. Gophers are 5 of 19 with the 20th appearance pending. Still better, but not as significantly.

Seven of fifteen was obscene, seven of nineteen is still well above the expected 25%. BC is on an incredible roll both this season and really for almost 15 years.

I dont care what the seeds were, you lost to a better team.

Maybe, but possibly not the right place and time to talk about it. ;) Not to say Sioux fans can't talk about it fairly, but I know the last thing I'd want to see right after a Gophers loss is an opposing fan telling me on GPL that it was deserved. Talk about the game, discuss what happened, sure but give it some time otherwise. :)

Sioux will be back to themselves next year I am sure and of course giving me fits. Now lets hope UM/UND can find a way to keep this rivalry going. I have a feeling it won't happen the first year or two of the Big 10 but they'll eventually get it worked out. Good luck next year.

Maybe, but possibly not the right place and time to talk about it. ;) Not to say Sioux fans can't talk about it fairly, but I know the last thing I'd want to see right after a Gophers loss is an opposing fan telling me on GPL that it was deserved. Talk about the game, discuss what happened, sure but give it some time otherwise. :)

Sioux will be back to themselves next year I am sure and of course giving me fits. Now lets hope UM/UND can find a way to keep this rivalry going. I have a feeling it won't happen the first year or two of the Big 10 but they'll eventually get it worked out. Good luck next year.

I think half of the rivalry depends on whether or not the "Sioux" name changes or stays. So many colleges are taking the "PC" route of not wanting to play us because they are horrified that we would accept and use a name given to us by a group of native americans under the same name....