SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

jodcon

Man, I'm trying to see both sides here, but I just can't see how the coaching staff is the reason we lost this game today. Let's play devils advocate. Who do you bring in to win a game like this? NHL coach Andy Murray got beat yesterday, who does better than Hak???

That is a great question. This staff has done a great job of getting the players in position to go win big games. I'm in the camp with Coach Hakstol.

Great Season guys. No Grimaldi (basically no Grimaldi), Couple of D- playing Forward, Miller-never even makes it to UND. All this team did, was not worry one bit about who they didn't have but instead worried about what each player could do. It's a bitter pill to end the season to the rodents, but sometimes that happens....congrats to them- nice game and good luck. Thanks for your contributions, Mario, Ben & Brad. You left a very good legacy.

Tough loss, but what a great team. Fighting Sioux all the way. Last year, I was crushed; expectations were so high. This year, wow, what an achievement under such difficult circumstances. Congrats to the Gophers, they were on a mission today and played great. Tough to type that, but hey, it is what it is.

taz very proud of this years Sioux team!

• Upvote 3

Also, tough beats happen in playoff hockey during the NCAA tourney all the time. I mean how do explain some of the teams that win the national title some years? You get hot at the right time...and believe it or not that can change from week to week at this time of year. I agree with those that say that winning the regular season conference title is far different grind than winning the NCAA tournament. I'm not saying more or less difficult- but there are a lot of odd bounces that can really effect one's fate in a short tournament...as we have seen over the last several years.

Last years loss was a major disappointment considering the talent we had on the ice and maybe some of the blame should have been on the coaches, but for people to bash our coaching staff for losing this Regional Final which we had no business even being in is beyond ignorant.

This team has overachieved to even be in position to reach the tournament, let alone actually make it and have a chance to go to the Frozen 4.

If people can't see that then they really have no clue.

• Upvote 1

You think the Gophers are good now. Just wait til Don Lucia retires and Mike Gentzel runs the program....

The Greatest thing for Sioux fans is Doug Woog coaching the Gophers all those years....and its' the same for Gophers fans being happy Hakstol is coaching the Sioux now.

I think the Gopher fans should be most happy about the firing of John Hill, as that is what prompted Gentzel's return to their program...

Lets be honest. When the brackets came out most of us should have known we were in trouble with Minnesota in our side. It took a miracle to beat them the week before and they obviously came back strong off that loss by handling BU easily. They were the one team that I did NOT want to be in the same bracket as because of how last week's game went down. But, that is how it shook out and the Gophers didn't mess it up this time. They were hands down the better team today.

• Upvote 1

If people can't see that then they really have no clue.

Unfortunately, even after we do get a national title these same clueless individuals will be the first ones calling for Hak's head the first season we miss the ncaa tourney. To them, due to our past history all other teams are inferior to us and should bow down to our supposed greatness. It's absolute nonsense.

My expectations are to contend. My exectations are to put trophys in the case bud. I understand to win a trophy u gotta contend but i wnat more then contending.

Your expectations? You mean your needs.

Congrats Hak and his staff for the coaching team of the year, IMO. None were better this year.

• Upvote 1

You asshats act like this was last years team,stacked.

It's not just this year...last years team was stacked and were only able to play one more game than this not "stacked" team.

Just as much as this team might has "overachieved" numerous Hak's teams have "underachieved."

Let's also be honest. The Sioux looked tired and slow all game today. They looked totally unprepared and basically were dominated the whole game. Against a lower seeded team in the tournament.

It would be a real shocker if talent had anything to do with that. Beyond comprehension for the most simple-minded among us.

There is no reason the gophers should be more talented than the Sioux in any given year.

I thought the Sioux prided themselves on "hard work beating talent when talent doesn't work hard"?

I know you like stirring the pot, but please, enough already.

This team went as far as they could with what they had to work with. I will look forward to watching the Rodents choke in Tampa.

• Upvote 2

I know you like stirring the pot, but please, enough already.

This team went as far as they could with what they had to work with. I will look forward to watching the Rodents choke in Tampa.

I think this team went way further than they should have with what they had to work with. I will remember this season for a long time. So proud of these guys. Hoping guys like Kristo and Nelson come back.

Let's also be honest. The Sioux looked tired and slow all game today. They looked totally unprepared and basically were dominated the whole game. Against a lower seeded team in the tournament.

Thats just not true, the Sioux were right with the Gophers for most of the game. I thought the Sioux were better for the most part in the 1st, the Gophers were better in the 2nd and took advantage of opportunities and it was pretty even in the 3rd, the Sioux were not totally unprepared and not dominated. Everyone knew this game was basically a toss-up and going to be a very tough matchup.

This is will be one of the more memorable teams in Sioux hockey history for me. They overcame so much adversity throughout the season and probably exceeded most peoples expectations. The team and coaching staff should be proud of their accomplishments this year, every player left everything they had on the ice and gave everything they could, the staff did a great job of getting every players best effort and finding a way to be successful no matter what happened. I want to thank Ben Blood, Mario Lamoreux, and Brad Eidsness for the great contribution they made to the University of North Dakota hockey program and a great career here, I wish them all the best of luck in the future!

Dude, you embarrass our fanbase with your grammar, spelling, and your itchy trigger finger with coaches (Mussman and Hakstol). Please please refrain from posting until you have sobered up, or if your posts aren't related to alcohol, get hooked on phonics, google some spelling lessons, I'm just not sure. I am just sick of your dimwitted posts. Yes, this loss hurts, but this team had a hell of a year. It is clear you don't like Hak, perhaps you know him personally, maybe you are a janitor and clean his office and are upset that he makes what he does, but man, it gets old. Give this team and this coaching staff some credit.

Thanks for verbalizing how the great majority of us feel. How pathetic to throw a coach under the bus who, in my mind, did an unbelievable job of getting this team this far this season, deserves the Naitonal Coach of the Year Award, and consistently does a great job every season. I love the character and heart demonstrated by the Fighting Sioux. I love winning as much as anyone (just finished my 23rd season of coaching high school basketball and have won several conference championships) but, honestly, there are more important things in life than winning a national championship in hockey or any other sport, for that matter.

• Upvote 2

Thats just not true, the Sioux were right with the Gophers for most of the game. I thought the Sioux were better for the most part in the 1st, the Gophers were better in the 2nd and took advantage of opportunities and it was pretty even in the 3rd, the Sioux were not totally unprepared and not dominated. Everyone knew this game was basically a toss-up and going to be a very tough matchup.

The Sioux looked better in the third period cause Minnesota played more of a defensive game while UND had to pressure more than normal down all those goals.

But you already realized that right?

The Gophers totally dominated the second period. Shots were like 88-1 Gophers.

The only thing close in this game was the first few minutes of the opening frame.

We had a total of two shots on goal in the 2nd period. Two. One was Kristo's goal and one was just before the horn sounded. Shots on goal were 2 to 1 against us after the 2nd period. We were a step slower all game. All those odd-man rushes and breakaways wouldn't happen if we had a full and rested line-up. We fought hard from start to finish, but you can't win games like this on fumes. We struggled to finish off Western Michigan and I knew it would be hard today. But we didn't give up and didn't quit and I am proud of the team.

As for our friends in Rodentia, we'll see how good the Goofs are when they have to go up against a fully-loaded team in Tampa. This weekend, they beat a slow Boston University and an injury-depleted and tired North Dakota team. I would say good luck to them, but I won't because they would never do it for us.