SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

jodcon

We had a total of two shots on goal in the 2nd period. Two. One was Kristo's goal and one was just before the horn sounded. We were a step slower all game. All those odd-man rushes and breakaways wouldn't happen if we had a full and rested line-up. We fought hard from start to finish, but you can't win games like this on fumes. We struggled to finish off Western Michigan and I knew it would be hard today. But we didn't give up and didn't quit and I am proud of the team.

As for our friends in Rodentia, we'll see how good the Goofs are when they have to go up against a fully-loaded team in Tampa. This weekend, they beat a slow Boston University and an injury-depleted and tired North Dakota team. I would say good luck to them, but I won't because they would never do it for us.

I said we didn't get dominated the whole game which we didn't, I admit the 2nd period was not a good period for us.

Disappointing end to the season as we always expect so much with this program. But there was a lot to overcome this season and they met the challenges head on, perservered and to make it as far as they did makes me proud to be a Fighting Sioux fan.

Unfortunately there will always be those fans who will chirp, bitch, piss, moan (insert your verb of choice) about Hakstol, how the program failed, expectations weren't met, etc but I am still proud of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux team and what they were able to accomplish. No... the have not won a National Championship... yet. But they will... they will...

PS: There is no friggin' way I can root for the Goofers in the Frozen Four even if they are in the WCHA... just... can't... do... it...

Edited by kfah1
  • Upvote 2

The Sioux looked better in the third period cause Minnesota played more of a defensive game while UND had to pressure more than normal down all those goals.

But you already realized that right?

The Gophers totally dominated the second period. Shots were like 88-1 Gophers.

The only thing close in this game was the first few minutes of the opening frame.

Did you actually watch the game? Part of the dominance in the 2nd period was the powerplays, but I agree the 2nd period was definitely not our best. The Gophers were still in attack mode in the 3rd, they went into defense mode in the final 5 and we all saw what happened and they weren't going to make that mistake again. The Sioux took a lot of chances in the 3rd and played desperate which could account some for the Sioux looking better in the 3rd, but it wasn't because the Gophers went into a defensive mode.

The Sioux looked better in the third period cause Minnesota played more of a defensive game while UND had to pressure more than normal down all those goals.

But you already realized that right?

The Gophers totally dominated the second period. Shots were like 88-1 Gophers.

The only thing close in this game was the first few minutes of the opening frame.

Sioux outshot Minn. 15-4 in the 3rd and 26-24 for the game.

Wow, what a year!! I still had a grin as I was walking out of the game, hard to believe we got that far. I think the Gophers had some extra pep from that hugh serving of humble pie they were served last Friday. Maybe it helped them understand the philosophy of TEAM playing. It was amazing that the Gophers did not get a goal in over 3 minutes of open net. For the last two games together, the Sioux and Gophers tied at 8 goals apiece. Thanks, Sioux, for all the memories this year!

• Upvote 1

Sioux outshot Minn. 15-4 in the 3rd and 26-24 for the game.

But we just couldn't solve Kent Patterson! :silly:

Honestly, if Schlossman goes there in tomorrow's paper, I will quit reading his stuff from now on. Not that I read much of it anyway.

Anyway, I am tired and crabby and I think it's bedtime. GO SIOUX IN 2012-13!!!

Super big congratulations to the Sioux on a fabulous season. Big heart and pride playing with only 80 percent of your planned team. Hakstol squeezed every ounce of game out of his players and should be given lots of credit. He didn't have near the team he had last year and made it almost as far. That's a good coach!

This Gopher fan thinks you should be very proud of your staff and team! It was a heck of a ride, and next year will be more of the same

When I find the first Gopher fan who wants to go to the BigTen, I'll post again.

There is no reason the gophers should be more talented than the Sioux in any given year.

What? How can you say a program of Minnesota's pedigree should never be more talented?

Also congrats on the season even though it clearly didn't end like you wanted. Pretty sure UND will be in the hunt again next season - the last one in which these programs will regularly meet. :sad:

Super big congratulations to the Sioux on a fabulous season. Big heart and pride playing with only 80 percent of your planned team. Hakstol squeezed every ounce of game out of his players and should be given lots of credit. He didn't have near the team he had last year and made it almost as far. That's a good coach!

This Gopher fan thinks you should be very proud of your staff and team! It was a heck of a ride, and next year will be more of the same

When I find the first Gopher fan who wants to go to the BigTen, I'll post again.

Thank you Greybeard.

Disappointing end to the season as we always expect so much with this program. But there was a lot to overcome this season and they met the challenges head on, perservered and to make it as far as they did makes me proud to be a Fighting Sioux fan.

Unfortunately there will always be those fans who will chirp, bitch, piss, moan (insert your verb of choice) about Hakstol, how the program failed, expectations weren't met, etc but I am still proud of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux team and what they were able to accomplish. No... the have not won a National Championship... yet. But they will... they will...

PS: There is no friggin' way I can root for the Goofers in the Frozen Four even if they are in the WCHA... just... can't... do... it...

I think the Gophers will find out how good B.C. is in two weeks.

But we just couldn't solve Kent Patterson! :silly:

Honestly, if Schlossman goes there in tomorrow's paper, I will quit reading his stuff from now on. Not that I read much of it anyway.

Anyway, I am tired and crabby and I think it's bedtime. GO SIOUX IN 2012-13!!!

Considering we got 2 pucks past him, I don't think Schloss will go there. Fact is, Gophers defense overall played a hell of a lot better and showed up for all 60 minutes of the game. Couldn't expect lightning to strike twice and see them collapse defensively.

Thanks for the classy post; you verbalized the way that the vast majority of Fighting Sioux Fans feel.

Who could possible chirp, bitch, piss, and moan about the job Hakstol & Co. did this year? I have been harsh on Hak for a long time. But this year I have a whole new look on Hakstol. What other team or coach could have done what these men did this year. What other fans would not be happy to have done what these guys did this year. They gave us a great run this year and alot of excitement with a game to remember for a long time. How many days till the season starts?
  • Upvote 1

Minnesota has as good of a chance as anyone of beating BC the way that they played this weekend. It won't be a cakewalk as that dimwit posted earlier in this thread.

Yeah, only Minnesota stands in BC's way for another championship. No offense to Ferris or Union but if BC beats Minnesota, they will have no problem winning the title game.

Congrats on the great season guys. I doubted your team would make it this far halfway through the season and they more than proved me wrong. Goes to show that Hack is quite possibly the best coach in college hockey. We all know UND will be back very strong next season.

As a Gopher fan I'm VERY worried about BC. They haven't lost since mid January and they don't seem to have much of a weakness. We're no doubt the underdog going into that game. Hopefully the Chia pet can draw up a plan to slow them down.

One more year of this rivalry with only 2 guaranteed games. We better make it a damn good series.

Considering we got 2 pucks past him, I don't think Schloss will go there. Fact is, Gophers defense overall played a hell of a lot better and showed up for all 60 minutes of the game. Couldn't expect lightning to strike twice and see them collapse defensively.

I thought the Gopher D played a great 60 minutes of hockey. They locked up the slot and blocked a lot of shots. Was that the same group we saw last week melt like the Wicked Witch?

The gophers were definitely a better team tonight.

They were the better team all season. 3-1 against the Sioux in the regular season, easily won the WCHA, etc.

The Sioux might have been victims of their own success last weekend. By winning the Final Five they ended up in this region, rather than a possible different (easier?) route through another region. Oh well, you play to win and did they did their best. Today wasn't their best game and they lost. That's how it works for all but 1 team each year.