SiouxSports.com Forum

Seth Jones Watch

siouxnami

I agree. This level of theatrics is very embarrassing! I couldn't imagine being out of high school, let alone being a college team and doing this for team bonding, superstition, or whatever. I guess this is the sole reason Grant Potulny receives a paycheck, his biggest contribution to the program. "Hey, let's bring a G.F. Red River tradition to the Minnesota Gopher squad." What a bunch of knuckleheads! :lol:

They look like a bunch of idiots too! There's no sugar coating it. It's stupid. Plain and simple.

Actually, I think this is something else we could bash Lammy on. I've noticed that he's also dyed his hair blond just like the Gophers do. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

MafiaMan, thought I'd do lots of winkies there just in case someone's not catching my attempt at a little bit of humor. :p;):lol:;)

First of all, as much as I'd love to see Seth Jones in a North Dakota (almost wrote Sioux) sweater, if I were Seth or my son were Seth, I'd send him to the CHL...if you are a potential #1 go play in the CHL, have a big year, sign your name and be set for life.

secondly on Mario- look people, Mario knows his role is not as a top 6 forward. His role is to lead, disrupt, energize and play with an edge. He does that. He also plays hurt and backs up his teammates. Don't underestimate the importance of these "team" guys. Rarely does an elite scorer or scoring line a champion make, but rather the championship teams are defined by the performance of their 3rd and 4th lines. Lunch pail, heart and soul checking line guys are what we pride ourselves on and that ethic defines Sioux hockey. Toewser and Parise are perhaps two of the twenty most talented players in the world, and you know what, they both wear Cs in the NHL because of how hard they work every shift. I guarantee you that while Mario may never hold the Conn Smythe trophy nor rack up a 90 point NHL season, he will never quit, and he deserves to wear the C for this team.

• Upvote 4

First of all, as much as I'd love to see Seth Jones in a North Dakota (almost wrote Sioux) sweater, if I were Seth or my son were Seth, I'd send him to the CHL...if you are a potential #1 go play in the CHL, have a big year, sign your name and be set for life.

secondly on Mario- look people, Mario knows his role is not as a top 6 forward. His role is to lead, disrupt, energize and play with an edge. He does that. He also plays hurt and backs up his teammates. Don't underestimate the importance of these "team" guys. Rarely does an elite scorer or scoring line a champion make, but rather the championship teams are defined by the performance of their 3rd and 4th lines. Lunch pail, heart and soul checking line guys are what we pride ourselves on and that ethic defines Sioux hockey. Toewser and Parise are perhaps two of the twenty most talented players in the world, and you know what, they both wear Cs in the NHL because of how hard they work every shift. I guarantee you that while Mario may never hold the Conn Smythe trophy nor rack up a 90 point NHL season, he will never quit, and he deserves to wear the C for this team.

Well said.

First of all, as much as I'd love to see Seth Jones in a North Dakota (almost wrote Sioux) sweater, if I were Seth or my son were Seth, I'd send him to the CHL...if you are a potential #1 go play in the CHL, have a big year, sign your name and be set for life. secondly on Mario- look people, Mario knows his role is not as a top 6 forward. His role is to lead, disrupt, energize and play with an edge. He does that. He also plays hurt and backs up his teammates. Don't underestimate the importance of these "team" guys. Rarely does an elite scorer or scoring line a champion make, but rather the championship teams are defined by the performance of their 3rd and 4th lines. Lunch pail, heart and soul checking line guys are what we pride ourselves on and that ethic defines Sioux hockey. Toewser and Parise are perhaps two of the twenty most talented players in the world, and you know what, they both wear Cs in the NHL because of how hard they work every shift. I guarantee you that while Mario may never hold the Conn Smythe trophy nor rack up a 90 point NHL season, he will never quit, and he deserves to wear the C for this team.

If Seth were my son, I'd let him make his own decision ...

:)

I'll throw in my Mario opinion. What he lacks in the talent category he makes up for in hard work. Not a goal scorer, not a fancy hockey player, not a me first, shoot first guy. He's a lunch pail guy, plays hurt, does whatever the team needs him to do. I can't remember who they were playing this year, but he could barely hold his stick, yet he was in the lineup playing every third shift. I think this past weekend summed up his career pretty well. Plays gritty, misses a wide open empty net, and blocks a shot with his head.

I wish they had him for four more years.

• Upvote 2

A man makes his own money. Popeye Jones' financial situation probably isn't driving Seth either way.

CHL is still the road most often taken to the NHL for first rounders. It is tried and true, and unless you really need time to develop physically (in which case NCAA is best) you go to the CHL.

I'll throw in my Mario opinion. What he lacks in the talent category he makes up for in hard work. Not a goal scorer, not a fancy hockey player, not a me first, shoot first guy. He's a lunch pail guy, plays hurt, does whatever the team needs him to do. I can't remember who they were playing this year, but he could barely hold his stick, yet he was in the lineup playing every third shift. I think this past weekend summed up his career pretty well. Plays gritty, misses a wide open empty net, and blocks a shot with his head.

I wish they had him for four more years.

Excellent post!!

Thus the lol face...

i.e., he's kidding.

Thanks for the back-up, jodcon. My post was obviously tongue-in-cheek humor as it is typical on this site for people to jump off the ship after an 0-2 start to the season or a loss to Minnesota in October. Anyone who knows me knows my opinion of Coach Hakstol and the job he has done for the University of North Dakota hockey team.

My bad. Should of known better. My apologies

So, you would have advised Toews to "go play in the CHL, have a big year, sign your name and be set for life"? JT's earning and leadership potential was greatly reduced by playing for Hak, wasn't it? :silly:

• Upvote 1

If I recall correctly, Mario got his a$$ handed to him in that scrum. Mario, seems like a genuinely nice guy, hard worker, and a good leader, but let's be honest, he's one of the weakest links on the team. If his last name wasn't Lamarioux he might not have lasted this long on the team let alone be made captain.

Are we really back to this argument. You do not win by playing "weak links". I do not think this team comes back after the Bemidji State series if it doesn't have good leadership, and moreso doesn't have an example of someone who is willing to put it out on the line night in and night out with injuries that probably would have kept most out of the lineup for weeks or more. I think Mario's contribution to the Sioux can best be expressed with a sequence earlier in the year at Minnesota, when he was already hurt he stayed on the ice and blocked another shot that most people would have never had the guts to get in front of. I think they scored on that sequence, but most Sioux fans probably remember it, because it epitomizes the kind of effort the Sioux expect out of their team and especially their Captain. You saw that again last weekend when Lamoureux took a slapshot off his head and didn't stay on the ice like most players would. The fact that the players respect Mario for that effort, and I believe they elect the Captain, speaks volumes of the players wanting to follow that kind of leadership. I tend to think for the mostpart Hakstol always has the right mix of grinders and skill players. I think that changed a bit this year due to injury, but I think having guys like Mario who cycle the puck well and can help wear down the oppositions defensemen and know they are going to take a solid hit when they play the puck is an essential part of Sioux hockey.

So, you would have advised Toews to "go play in the CHL, have a big year, sign your name and be set for life"? JT's earning and leadership potential was greatly reduced by playing for Hak, wasn't it? :silly:

I never said that. Nothing even close, so don't roll your eyes.

JT would've had the same success had he played in the W or for UND. JT was also 17 as a freshman at UND; he needed to develop physically. If you recall, his hockey skills were beyond reproach, but his physical performance at the combine was less than ideal.

UND is probably the best NHL development center in NCAA. The CHL still produces more NHLers.

I respect that. I would not. Just as I would not let my son make other decisions that are not in their long term best interest...17 year olds lack perspective.

Yes, they do lack perspective, so what better environment to go to get some perspective on life than college. Who knows, maybe he meets his wife in the year or two he is here and doesn't have to worry about finding one after he is a millionaire with the groupies and people on the lookout for an easy life lurking. I'm sure Zach Parise was happy he had already met his future wife here before becoming a superstar. I think the college atmosphere is less likely to entail the people that attach themselves to you because of your hockey skills and your name, and more likely to be an atmosphere where you can meet some lifelong friends, even if you only stay a year or two. See Eddie Belfour as a perfect example of that. There is a reason why all those pro guys like to come back to UND whenever they get a chance. If Seth Jones can see that, I would consider him ahead of the game, and he certainly can understand that the money will be there when he is ready to go, but in the meantime he can have life experiences that will put him in good stead the rest of his life.

Don't get me wrong, I support college hockey. Additionally, I loved college and completely understand the affinity the Sioux family continue to feel for the school...it is life before responsibility...I would guess that a lot of guys who play in the CHL feel the same way about those one horse towns across the Trans-Canadian highway 1.

This is a business decision for these kids. Now, I do believe that defensemen need more time to develop than forwards, and NCAA will allow for more time spent on the weights and one on one skill training while the CHL will give you more game experience.

CHL will generally have more skilled players, but college will have more physically developed players (men). It is probably a more difficult decision to make for a dman.

I still say that if I were touted as the potential #1 overall and I had been playing in Ann Arbor, I would go CHL

It's amazing that a myth like the CHL being better for elite talents is believed even here. The CHL churns out more NHLers because the CHL gets more elite prospects to start with.

Look at a list of Everett products in the NHL (if you can find any) and compare it to UND's over the last 10 years. If I'm an elite talent (potential #1 overall) and I'm choosing between Everett and UND, hands down I'm in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they do lack perspective, so what better environment to go to get some perspective on life than college. Who knows, maybe he meets his wife in the year or two he is here and doesn't have to worry about finding one after he is a millionaire with the groupies and people on the lookout for an easy life lurking. I'm sure Zach Parise was happy he had already met his future wife here before becoming a superstar. I think the college atmosphere is less likely to entail the people that attach themselves to you because of your hockey skills and your name, and more likely to be an atmosphere where you can meet some lifelong friends, even if you only stay a year or two. See Eddie Belfour as a perfect example of that. There is a reason why all those pro guys like to come back to UND whenever they get a chance. If Seth Jones can see that, I would consider him ahead of the game, and he certainly can understand that the money will be there when he is ready to go, but in the meantime he can have life experiences that will put him in good stead the rest of his life.

Of course if you meet your wife before you become a superstar you could end up stuck like Kurt Warner. :crazy::lol: