SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

Red Cows go to Tech next weekend and then Tech visits G Forks. They have shown a tenacity to play the good teams tough. They are going to mess up some people's NCAA plans.

Friday night against Purple Cows, Tech looked fairly crappy...tonite, they were getting the bounces and ran away with this one...Sioux need to jump on them right away...

Yeah, I saw a couple of green Sioux jerseys at the Phoenix Open on "Green Day". They were on the crazy 16th hole when Mickelson came through.

Same guy the past 3 years with his green Sioux hockey jersey on camped on the 16th at the TPC in Scottsdale. Cool to see.

Played that course last year for 1st time....looks nothing like on TV, especially 16, without the gladiator arena seating up. 16, 17 and 18 there are 3 really good finishing holes. But they still pale in comparison to 16, 17, and 18 at TPC Sawgrass. Played Sawgrass twice...1st time I played the last 3 holes at -1. 2nd time around on the last 3 holes...+5!!!

Played Sawgrass twice...1st time I played the last 3 holes at -1. 2nd time around on the last 3 holes...+5!!!

How difficult are the greens, compared to "regular" courses you play on? Watching some of those tournaments on TV, it looks like they're putting on linoleum.

I know around campus we've been looking forward to the UND game for some time now. Should be a great time.

Tough loss up in Alaska. These are HUGE games for UND, could move only 1 point behind UMD and more importantly, climb bigtime in the Pairwise with a sweep. I am thinking split.

Tough loss up in Alaska. These are HUGE games for UND, could move only 1 point behind UMD and more importantly, climb bigtime in the Pairwise with a sweep. I am thinking split.

I agree! Very tough loss in Alaska. But that's what I mean when I say up and down. One minute they look VERY good the next you wonder what the heck is going on... Such is the love of sports I suppose, anything can happen :). A lot of kids know that these are really big games for UND which adds to the excitement. I just hope the team that played Mich. Tech (although a very good team) doesn't show up... Lol we might be in trouble if that happened.

How difficult are the greens, compared to "regular" courses you play on? Watching some of those tournaments on TV, it looks like they're putting on linoleum.

TPC Scottsdale aren't too bad. Sawgrass greens are brutal. When you hear TV commentators saying that you need to be "below the hole" or on the "right tier" of the green, it's extremely true at Sawgrass. As Gary McCord once said about Augusta, the greens are like they just got a "bikini wax"!

• Upvote 1

TPC Scottsdale aren't too bad. Sawgrass greens are brutal. When you hear TV commentators saying that you need to be "below the hole" or on the "right tier" of the green, it's extremely true at Sawgrass. As Gary McCord once said about Augusta, the greens are like they just got a "bikini wax"!

Sounds like Burmda Greens are hard to putt on.

Duluth needs the series if they want a shot at catching Minnesota. UND needs it to stay alive. NoDak needs points, 2 or more. Some HUGE series coming up Friday; Minnesota at Denver and who would have thought in October that the Red Cows-Tech series would be big come February 10?

According to Roman the Minnesota Cup thing has been set up (He refers to it as the Minnesota beanpot :crazy: ). Minnesota will play three series against Minnesota schools each season, and the one team they don't have a series with will play Minnesota in the first round of the tournament, ensuring every team plays Minnesota each season. Much better scenario than people thought.

UND's web series "Through These Doors" may have sparked an 'NHL 24/7' trend amongst college hockey.

Michigan and Notre Dame created 24/7-esque videos this season and now Merrimack plans to launch its own series called "Merrimack All Access." Watch the trailer, here.

I think these shows are a great recruiting tool for college hockey and are a nice way to highlight each program's unique history and tradition.

According to Roman the Minnesota Cup thing has been set up (He refers to it as the Minnesota beanpot :crazy: ). Minnesota will play three series against Minnesota schools each season, and the one team they don't have a series with will play Minnesota in the first round of the tournament, ensuring every team plays Minnesota each season. Much better scenario than people thought.

Sounds to me like Minnesota is setting it up with the Notre Dame contract and playing all of these games to use the old "we'd like to play UND, but we just don't have the room on the schedule". Of course Bemidji State knows that refrain all too well. Wonder if any of these games will be return games, or home and home.

UND's web series "Through These Doors" may have sparked an 'NHL 24/7' trend amongst college hockey.

Michigan and Notre Dame created 24/7-esque videos this season and now Merrimack plans to launch its own series called "Merrimack All Access." Watch the trailer, here.

I think these shows are a great recruiting tool for college hockey and are a nice way to highlight each program's unique history and tradition.

First of all, thank god UND has Matt Schill and many others with "Through The Doors" our production and tv series is second to none. Not trying to be a smartass, but what is Meriimack's one mission?

First of all, thank god UND has Matt Schill and many others with "Through The Doors" our production and tv series is second to none. Not trying to be a smartass, but what is Meriimack's one mission?

Matt Schill and the guys that he works with on through these doors episodes work their asses off.

Sounds to me like Minnesota is setting it up with the Notre Dame contract and playing all of these games to use the old "we'd like to play UND, but we just don't have the room on the schedule". Of course Bemidji State knows that refrain all too well. Wonder if any of these games will be return games, or home and home.

2 of the 3 series will be at Mariucci and one series will be at one of them. So Minnesota will visit each teams arena once ever 4 years. Not only does Minnesota have the Notre Dame series (which was probably picked up because it's Lucia's alma mater and his son will be playing there), but they also have a series set up for a couple years with the Boston schools. That leaves them with only one non-conference series

College Hockey on NBC Sports Network Available Ratings:

January 6 – Dartmouth vs. RPI, 38,000 viewers

January 20 – Michigan vs. Notre Dame, 74,000 viewers

January 27 – Yale vs. Harvard, 82,000 viewers

Those numbers are a bit sad. I thought Notre Dame Dame vs. Michigan would be able to draw at least 100,000 viewers on name recognition/athletic prominence. I wonder what kind of ratings college hockey gets on the Big 10 Network and CBS Sports.

EDIT: Now that I look at NHL ratings on NBC Sports Network, the college hockey numbers aren't too shabby.

College Hockey on NBC Sports Network Available Ratings:

January 6 – Dartmouth vs. RPI, 38,000 viewers

January 20 – Michigan vs. Notre Dame, 74,000 viewers

January 27 – Yale vs. Harvard, 82,000 viewers

Those numbers are a bit sad. I thought Notre Dame Dame vs. Michigan would be able to draw at least 100,000 viewers on name recognition/athletic prominence. I wonder what kind of ratings college hockey gets on the Big 10 Network and CBS Sports.

EDIT: Now that I look at NHL ratings on NBC Sports Network, the college hockey numbers aren't too shabby.

It'll be interesting to see how the DU/UND game in two weeks compares to the Michigan/Notre Dame game. It might put a little perspective to the NCHC ratings draw potential...or perspective to UND's ratings draw.

It'll be interesting to see how the DU/UND game in two weeks compares to the Michigan/Notre Dame game. It might put a little perspective to the NCHC ratings draw potential...or perspective to UND's ratings draw.

I contacted the DU ticket office about tickets for this series, and was told this is the first sell-out of the season for Denver.