SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So a potential division of MSU, Montana, UND, UNC, EWU, Idaho, and PSU forthcoming? 

I like it

Geographically speaking, 2 options....

Big Sky North
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Portland State

Big Sky South
UC-Davis
Cal-Poly
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Idaho State

OR

Big Sky East
North Dakota
Montana State
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Idaho State

Big Sky West
Eastern Washington
Montana
Portland State
UC-Davis
Cal-Poly
Sacramento State
Idaho

There's some merit to both, but the north/south format probably makes the most sense.

Would there be some sort of championship game between the 2 division winners?  I'm trying to figure out how the scheduling would/could work.  If so, there will be an argument to be had regarding the Montana schools - splitting them or putting them together?  Some might want them split up in the event of a championship game like the ACC did with Miami and Florida State.

I have no idea about the logistics or feasibility of any of this.  Just talking out loud and speculating.

11 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Geographically speaking, 2 options....

Big Sky North
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Portland State

Big Sky South
UC-Davis
Cal-Poly
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Idaho State

OR

Big Sky East
North Dakota
Montana State
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Idaho State

Big Sky West
Eastern Washington
Montana
Portland State
UC-Davis
Cal-Poly
Sacramento State
Idaho

There's some merit to both, but the north/south format probably makes the most sense.

Would there be some sort of championship game between the 2 division winners?  I'm trying to figure out how the scheduling would/could work.  If so, there will be an argument to be had regarding the Montana schools - splitting them or putting them together?  Some might want them split up in the event of a championship game like the ACC did with Miami and Florida State.

I have no idea about the logistics or feasibility of any of this.  Just talking out loud and speculating.

Swap UNC and Idaho State in that North/South layout and it looks good.

14 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Swap UNC and Idaho State in that North/South layout and it looks good.

I put them there because they are "natural rivals" on the BSC schedule every year and travel for them would be easiest. 

Maybe it's a moot point because of flights and them being near Denver anyways.

5 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I put them there because they are "natural rivals" on the BSC schedule every year and travel for them would be easiest. 

Maybe it's a moot point because of flights and them being near Denver anyways.

Was under the assumption the whole "natural rival" thing would get blown up.  Idaho/Idaho State, etc.  

Idaho does not want to associate with Idaho State, which is more like an overge own Minot St.

SUU's President and Weber State's AD have said a Big Sky split will be based on research schools separating themselves from non-research schools.  Trust them instead of board talk.

Research R2 vs Other (R3, unclassified and affiliate schools)

Research R2:

Montana State University
Northern Arizona University
Portland State University
University of Montana
University of Idaho
University of North Dakota
University of Northern Colorado

Other:

University of California-Davis
Idaho State University
Weber St
Southern Utah
Cal Poly
EWU
Sac St.

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

Research R2:

Montana State University
University of Montana
University of Idaho

Other:

Idaho State University
Weber St
Southern Utah
Cal Poly
EWU
Sac St.

Ignoring the FBS/FCS issue and assuming all of these teams are FCS, how does this affect the playoffs? I don't believe FCS conferences can have championship games and participate in the playoffs. Breaking ties for the auto qualifier could be unfair if one subdivision is annually weak. Does the big sky get two automatic qualifiers? In practice that doesn't seem like a big deal since the conference always produces at least that many playoff teams, but somebody is going to complain about the loss of an a large spot.

5 hours ago, 3Putt said:

Ignoring the FBS/FCS issue and assuming all of these teams are FCS, how does this affect the playoffs? I don't believe FCS conferences can have championship games and participate in the playoffs. Breaking ties for the auto qualifier could be unfair if one subdivision is annually weak. Does the big sky get two automatic qualifiers? In practice that doesn't seem like a big deal since the conference always produces at least that many playoff teams, but somebody is going to complain about the loss of an a large spot.

They can't. The SWAC does but they don't participate in the playoffs. After getting screwed by the committee last year UND's only goal is to win the conference outright then maybe we reach the playoffs.

On 4/27/2016 at 7:31 AM, Bison Dan said:

BS.  But you live in a fantasy world as all things NDSU are bad.  No one had a better transition period than NDSU because of the great leadership of our President and AD. 

I'm not sure who to believe - (a) the Presidents of the Big Sky, or (b) you.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FSSD said:

Research R2:

Montana State University
University of Montana
University of Idaho

Other:

Idaho State University
Weber St
Southern Utah
Cal Poly
EWU
Sac St.

Where are these ratings coming from? I ask because Davis and Poly seem flip-flopped with NAU and UNC. 

Davis is AAU so they are R1.  Poly isn't part of the UC system, but as mostly an engineering school, it has strong research and a good endowment.  FBS was always part of their plans when they each moved from DII.

EWU has plans to expand its stadium with its Gateway Project.  Sac St may be getting a new MLS stadium, as the 49ers owners will build it when MLS expands to Sacramento.

NAU and NCol have shown no inclination that they would spend money for FBS or better facilities.

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Davis is AAU so they are R1.  Poly isn't part of the UC system, but as mostly an engineering school, it has strong research and a good endowment.  FBS was always part of their plans when they each moved from DII.

EWU has plans to expand its stadium with its Gateway Project.  Sac St may be getting a new MLS stadium, as the 49ers owners will build it when MLS expands to Sacramento.

NAU and NCol have shown no inclination that they would spend money for FBS or better facilities.

None of the BSC has shown much interest in moving to FBS. Now Fullerton is talking about 2 separate FCS divisions for BSC football. Maybe he isn't as tuned in to the upcoming rule changes from the NCAA as you are. Maybe you could fill him in. He isn't exactly helping to promote you dream. Maybe not every school in the BSC is in as good of shape financially as UND.

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Where are these ratings coming from? I ask because Davis and Poly seem flip-flopped with NAU and UNC. 

I downloaded the data from a different site, but the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States appears to be fairly recent and correct.  R1, R2 and R3 are Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education classifications.

Doctoral Universities

Includes institutions that awarded at least 20 research/scholarship doctoral degrees during the update year (this does not include professional practice doctoral-level degrees, such as the JD, MD, PharmD, DPT, etc.). Excludes Special Focus Institutions and Tribal Colleges.

• R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest research activity
  • R2: Doctoral Universities – Higher research activity
  • R3: Doctoral Universities – Moderate research activity

As far as conferences and Research Universities moving to the BSC was a step up in class for Idaho.  I was surprised to see Ga St as a R-1 school.  The BSC numbers include Idaho.  If NMSU moves to the BSC it would be 8 R2 schools.  Idaho St. is a R3.  I threw in the MW, MVFC and Sun Belt for comparison.  The 3 Dakota schools really carry the MVFC in terms of research schools.  The other two are SIU and ISU-Red (ISU-Blue is a R3).

R1 R2 R3 NR Non Research Schools
Mountain West 2-CSU, NM 5 2 2 SJ  USAF      
Big Sky 1-UCD 7 1 - ISU 5 Sac Weber SUU Poly EWU
MVFC 0 5 1 -Ind St. 3 UNI YSU MSU    
Sun Belt 1-Ga St. 3 2 3 App St. Ark St. Troy    

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

None of the BSC has shown much interest in moving to FBS. Now Fullerton is talking about 2 separate FCS divisions for BSC football. Maybe he isn't as tuned in to the upcoming rule changes from the NCAA as you are. Maybe you could fill him in. He isn't exactly helping to promote you dream. Maybe not every school in the BSC is in as good of shape financially as UND.

Davis has been fund raising silently for a stadium expansion.

Poly has Madden and the Chargers owner Spanos who want Poly FBS.  A stadium expansion over an adjacent rail line would be expensive but doable.

EWU is fundraising for the Gateway Project, which will take their stadium to FBS level.

The 49ers owners have committed to an new stadium for an MLS expansion team.  Sac St would benefit.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Davis has been fund raising silently for a stadium expansion.

Poly has Madden and the Chargers owner Spanos who want Poly FBS.  A stadium expansion over an adjacent rail line would be expensive but doable.

EWU is fundraising for the Gateway Project, which will take their stadium to FBS level.

The 49ers owners have committed to an new stadium for an MLS expansion team.  Sac St would benefit.

If an FBS Big Sky was to happen, Sac St has no business being in it.

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

No dice in the game, but I believe a Big Sky split has always been the "grand plan" one at FBS and one at FCS....so a divisional split only makes the likely hood more likely. 

Considering that the Big Sky is a one bid conference to the dance, wouldn't a split be more important in basketball?