SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Yeah, I get that. Just 12 teams for 1 spot then dividing that share 12 ways. Vs 1 out of 6 times 2...

dint know now the logistics either but a complete split may be better than FBS FCS 

Yes it does indeeed suck to split an autobid among alot of teams

...BUT...idaho is already in the big sky basketball.....the announcement about their football team has no impact on that.

...also I believe UC davis and cal poly are only in the big sky football...not big sky basketball.

a split down the road for even basketball would be about seven years...I'm sure the commissioner, new or not knows more than I (we) do about it.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

If an FBS Big Sky was to happen, Sac St has no business being in it.

sac state has a 35m endowment...

troy has 48m

Georgia southern has 46m

Arkansas state has 54 m

Louisiana-Monroe has 23m

sacramento has more population that all those metros combined I would guess...

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

If an FBS Big Sky was to happen, Sac St has no business being in it.

Sac St has basically the same mission as Fresno St, San Diego St, and San Jose St, but is much younger.  The Sacramento metro doesn't get turned on by FCS, but obviously Sac St needs better facilities.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Yes it does indeeed suck to split an autobid among alot of teams

...BUT...idaho is already in the big sky basketball.....the announcement about their football team has no impact on that.

...also I believe UC davis and cal poly are only in the big sky football...not big sky basketball.

a split down the road for even basketball would be about seven years...I'm sure the commissioner, new or not knows more than I (we) do about it.

Schools that don't plan on FBS can move at no cost to the WAC, which will certainly take them and start an FCS league within it.

On April 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Schools that don't plan on FBS can move at no cost to the WAC, which will certainly take them and start an FCS league within it.

If there ever was a realistic plan for the BSC to go at least partially FBS, why would Idaho announce now that they were going to join the BSC and drop down to FCS. Why wouldn't they play out the next two years in the Sun Belt and not announce a definite plan for  another year or two after the BSC has announced an FBS move? They would not announce a drop down now if they didn't think it was their only option. If there was a realistic chance for the BSC to go FBS, there is no way they make this announcement now and take the PR and recruiting hit and start paring down scholarships. My guess is that they are getting better info from the conference office than SV is getting.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

If there ever was a realistic plan for the BSC to go at least partially FBS, why would Idaho announce now that they were going to join the BSC and drop down to FCS. Why wouldn't they play out the next two years in the Sun Belt and not announce a definite plan for  another year or two after the BSC has announced an FBS move? They would not announce a drop down now if they didn't think it was their only option. If there was a realistic chance for the BSC to go FBS, there is no way they make this announcement now and take the PR and recruiting hit and start paring down scholarships. My guess is that they are getting better info from the conference office than SV is getting.

I've explained that time and time again, but bizon fans get so enraged about the idea that the Big Sky will go FBS that they don't read on.

The NCAA move up rules for FBS will be challenged in court by schools like Liberty and Youngstown St.  The NCAA knows they have a poor case and could even have to pay damaged.  The NCAA wants an FBS team to announce a move down, and all the sudden the NCAA will seem like a good entity when it changes the rules for Idaho - and others.

PR 101.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I've explained that time and time again, but bizon fans get so enraged about the idea that the Big Sky will go FBS that they don't read on.

The NCAA move up rules for FBS will be challenged in court by schools like Liberty and Youngstown St.  The NCAA knows they have a poor case and could even have to pay damaged.  The NCAA wants an FBS team to announce a move down, and all the sudden the NCAA will seem like a good entity when it changes the rules for Idaho - and others.

PR 101.

Do you sit up all night drinking to thinking this stuff up? Or does it just come natural?

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The NCAA move up rules for FBS will be challenged in court by schools like Liberty and Youngstown St.  

What conference do you see them going to? YSU to MAC? Liberty to CUSA?

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Didnt know that making stuff up was now a job requirement. :lol:

It is called strategic thought, which I've never seen ndsu grads capable of.  If you ever aspired to be an executive, it's a required thought pattern.  Kelley had it but used it to deceive, as did Chapman.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

What conference do you see them going to? YSU to MAC? Liberty to CUSA?

The CAA will go FBS with Army or UMASS as their existing FBS teams, even though both are not yet members.  Youngstown St, with a former FBS coach as President and a former FBS coach will have an option to go Independent for FBS, like Troy did because the CAA likely won't take them.

48 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It is called strategic thought, which I've never seen ndsu grads capable of.  If you ever aspired to be an executive, it's a required thought pattern.  Kelley had it but used it to deceive, as did Chapman.

Yes, if that Burgum fellow had just gone to UND he may have made it as an executive...:cool:

52 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It is called pie in the sky pulled it out of my a@@ thought. UND has athletic budget concerns that moving to FBS won't help. UND's football ticket revenue in 2015 was $410,000. Moving to FBS with the same teams on the schedule will not remedy that. They will still have the same problems filling seats. NDSU takes in more for ONE home game than UND does for an entire season.

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Yes, if that Burgum fellow had just gone to UND he may have made it as an executive...:cool:

Never met Burgum but he has quite an intellect.  But his uncle was on the UND board and he made more money off of Great Plains Software than his nephew did because he was an early and lead investor.

27 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

It is called pie in the sky pulled it out of my a@@ thought. UND has athletic budget concerns that moving to FBS won't help. UND's football ticket revenue in 2015 was $410,000. Moving to FBS with the same teams on the schedule will not remedy that. They will still have the same problems filling seats. NDSU takes in more for ONE home game than UND does for an entire season.

Never said FBS isn't a challenge and wouldn't be risky for UND.  But if new facilities create a climate like the Ralph and blow the doors off the Fdome, anything is possible.  Just getting a home and home with Minnesota would be huge, but I not supposed to talk like that because if offends bizon trolls.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

The Herald article is wrong as sportswriters can't dig and don't know how to look into separate financial balance and income sheets for the REA and UND athletics.

UND football on the UND athletics only shows revenue from the Champions club, as does hockey.  Those aren't tickets sold but fees to join the club.

All tickets sold go to the REA Trust which funds the arena upkeep, pays REA salaries etc.

Selling almost 250 k hockey ticket a year is about 10 million, plus the football tickets plus the basketball tickets, plus REA concessions, plus REA parking, plus REA advertising.  The total UND budget will increase substantially when the REA becomes UND property.  So UND athletics real budget is more than $35 million, but sportswriters don't understand and aren't trained on financials.

• Upvote 2