SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

46 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So is Idaho going to make an official decision by the "May 4th" deadline, or will it be more towards the summer when they make up their minds as to Big Sky or Indy?

The Idaho prez contracted with a consultant to report on the pros and cons of Indy vs FCS. The recent nickname fiasco gives an insight into what that consultant will more than likely report. It appears that the UI administration wants to join the Big Sky in football too, but there is a significant alumni push to stay Independent for a couple years after the 2017 season. The consultant will more than likely endorse what Spear wants to do. SiouxVolley has a much better finger on the pulse of this. 

To answer your question, it looks like May 4 is a soft target to be able to plan the 2018 conference schedule, but Idaho will be accommodated if they need more time. Again, SV probably can give you a better answer. 

44 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So is Idaho going to make an official decision by the "May 4th" deadline, or will it be more towards the summer when they make up their minds as to Big Sky or Indy?

Last word their Prez was getting with consultants.  This has bad optics for the Prez politically, as UI fans want to be indy.

Smell a Big Sky split in football with 15 teams.  NMSU would like to destroy the WAC (and they have the power to), which would give them a windfall of all Big Dance money where they were the representative.  The Big Sky would want to keep the WAC alive to pawn off some teams.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

NMSU is talking with the Big Sky and one other unnamed conference for new membership.

www.lcsun-news.com

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/blogs/cruces-sports-extra/2016/04/13/board-regents-wantsneeds-more-input-regarding-conference-affiliations/83005146/

as funny as it sounds nmsu could be a travel partner for und in the new big sky..in that each school doesn't have one...they each would be an outlier 

as much as siouxvolley says ndsu will come with us when the split happens i just don't see it happening especially with baseball being dropped...

und/nmsu

um/msu

iu/ewu

poly/davis

sac/portland

denver/omaha (oly)

after shedding some dead weight makes the big sky look more appealing than the slummit so omaha and denver come over (nchc.connections help..can we please get a 2pm womens bball game/5 pm mens ball game/ and a 8 mens hockey game against omaha or denver on saturday for good ole times sake???)

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Smell a Big Sky split in football with 15 teams.  NMSU would like to destroy the WAC (and they have the power to), which would give them a windfall of all Big Dance money where they were the representative.  The Big Sky would want to keep the WAC alive to pawn off some teams.

The BSC can't simply tell some of its members, were relegating you to the WAC.  That would be a mess.  No one would choose the mess that the WAC is.  Trying to partner with the WAC would be a bad deal for the BSC.

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

as funny as it sounds nmsu could be a travel partner for und in the new big sky..in that each school doesn't have one...they each would be an outlier 

as much as siouxvolley says ndsu will come with us when the split happens i just don't see it happening especially with baseball being dropped...

und/nmsu

um/msu

iu/ewu

poly/davis

sac/portland

denver/omaha (oly)

after shedding some dead weight makes the big sky look more appealing than the slummit so omaha and denver come over (nchc.connections help..can we please get a 2pm womens bball game/5 pm mens ball game/ and a 8 mens hockey game against omaha or denver on saturday for good ole times sake???)

Why would Omaha and Denver pay a million bucks for more travel and higher costs?  I think you need to try again.  Sure the BSC might want them, but it wouldn't be mutual.  And the BSC is just going to dump longtime members?

3 hours ago, Herd said:

Why would Omaha and Denver pay a million bucks for more travel and higher costs?  I think you need to try again.  Sure the BSC might want them, but it wouldn't be mutual.  And the BSC is just going to dump longtime members?

Denver is known to prefer the Big Sky over the Slummit.  Face the facts that the Slummit is on thin ice with nine members.  NMSU will not join the Slummit either if they have any other choice.

4 hours ago, Herd said:

because if the slummit dies off then there is no one to pay exit fees...

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Denver is known to prefer the Big Sky over the Slummit.  Face the facts that the Slummit is on thin ice with nine members.  NMSU will not join the Slummit either if they have any other choice.

They do? Can you provide the source for that one?

As for NMSU. That will depend on whether they go Independent or drop to FCS. If they drop the BSC is the only option out there. If they go Independent they will likely want to go to a basketball conference that is of a much higher quality than the BSC. 

And do any of you really think Omaha are going to drop the I29 connection to travel out west and play in a FB conference?

7 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

They do? Can you provide the source for that one?

As for NMSU. That will depend on whether they go Independent or drop to FCS. If they drop the BSC is the only option out there. If they go Independent they will likely want to go to a basketball conference that is of a much higher quality than the BSC. 

And do any of you really think Omaha are going to drop the I29 connection to travel out west and play in a FB conference?

Get educated if you want to spout off on message boards.   When the WAC was down to four schools, DU, SU, NMSU, and UI, the WAC and Big Sky entered into a series of talks trying to save an FBS league and have enough teams for separate FCS league.  The California and Oregon  schools could go FBS at the time cause there states were in a Budget crisis.  Schools like UND and EWU weren't ready.  DU and SU refused to start  FCS teams.  The talks broke down with plans to revisit FBS once Idaho ran out of its Sun Belt years.  

Upon DU failing to get in the Big Sky (I suspect UND was in favor of Denver getting in but others werent), it could not stand being associated with GCU, UVU, and Chicago St, tried to get into the WCC and Big West, which were preferred even over the Big Sky.  Failing those, DU took a Slummit offer which it considered the lesser of two evils over the WAC.  The mood of the DU athletic department was like a morgue environment when it accepted.  DU was far from joyous when it announced that it was joining the Slummit, according to the press.  Contrast that with times DU joined the Big East for lax and the NCHC for hockey.  Those were cake and champagne occasions.

NMSU is like DU in its desires.  It wants a western league but would accept to league with Texas teams as long as that league wasn't the Southland.  NMSU can survive as an FBS independent, but it wants the Big West or MVC.  CUSA is its target for FBS.  Answer this:  why would NMSU specifically state they had mutual interest in the Big Sky unless it went unspoken that it would be at the FBS level?  An FCS Big Sky doesn't do anything for NMSU, as they could get an FBS independent schedule with UTEP, UNM, UMASS and probably Army as annual games.  

NMSU doesn't get anything out of the Slummit unless it had FBS.  The Slummit geography totally sucks for athlete and student recruiting and alumni outreach for NMSU.

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:35 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Get educated if you want to spout off on message boards.   When the WAC was down to four schools, DU, SU, NMSU, and UI, the WAC and Big Sky entered into a series of talks trying to save an FBS league and have enough teams for separate FCS league.  The California and Oregon  schools could go FBS at the time cause there states were in a Budget crisis.  Schools like UND and EWU weren't ready.  DU and SU refused to start  FCS teams.  The talks broke down with plans to revisit FBS once Idaho ran out of its Sun Belt years.  

Upon DU failing to get in the Big Sky (I suspect UND was in favor of Denver getting in but others werent), it could not stand being associated with GCU, UVU, and Chicago St, tried to get into the WCC and Big West, which were preferred even over the Big Sky.  Failing those, DU took a Slummit offer which it considered the lesser of two evils over the WAC.  The mood of the DU athletic department was like a morgue environment when it accepted.  DU was far from joyous when it announced that it was joining the Slummit, according to the press.  Contrast that with times DU joined the Big East for lax and the NCHC for hockey.  Those were cake and champagne occasions.

NMSU is like DU in its desires.  It wants a western league but would accept to league with Texas teams as long as that league wasn't the Southland.  NMSU can survive as an FBS independent, but it wants the Big West or MVC.  CUSA is its target for FBS.  Answer this:  why would NMSU specifically state they had mutual interest in the Big Sky unless it went unspoken that it would be at the FBS level?  An FCS Big Sky doesn't do anything for NMSU, as they could get an FBS independent schedule with UTEP, UNM, UMASS and probably Army as annual games.  

NMSU doesn't get anything out of the Slummit unless it had FBS.  The Slummit geography totally sucks for athlete and student recruiting and alumni outreach for NMSU.

You make up more crap than anyone I have ever seen on any message board. You have no facts, no sources, no links, nothing to justify your "facts".

As for NMSU in the BSC. The reality is they are talking to the BSC because if they drop down to FCS (a very real possibility) the BSC is their only choice. They aren't looking at it for the mythical BSC to FBS move.

Was DU thrilled joining the Summit? Not really. They would have preferred an invite to a certain private school conference out west. Or the MVC. There was a chance that DU would go to the BSC. Hell, just the thought of being associated with UNC is enough for DU to run the other way, fast. But hey, you were in their athletic department after the announcement was made, and it was a "morgue".

Please continue to live in the little fantasy land you have created. Oh by the way, never saw it discussed on here but how did you feel when Fullerton stated that his greatest regret was not getting NDSU? Funny stuff...

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/fullerton-proud-of-tenure-as-big-sky-commissioner/article_2d2dcd92-112f-5cb0-9169-9b0e2990148a.html

23 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

You make up more crap than anyone I have ever seen on any message board. You have no facts, no sources, no links, nothing to justify your "facts".

As for NMSU in the BSC. The reality is they are talking to the BSC because if they drop down to FCS (a very real possibility) the BSC is their only choice. They aren't looking at it for the mythical BSC to FBS move.

Was DU thrilled joining the Summit? Not really. They would have preferred an invite to a certain private school conference out west. Or the MVC. There was a chance that DU would go to the BSC. Hell, just the thought of being associated with UNC is enough for DU to run the other way, fast. But hey, you were in their athletic department after the announcement was made, and it was a "morgue".

Please continue to live in the little fantasy land you have created. Oh by the way, never saw it discussed on here but how did you feel when Fullerton stated that his greatest regret was not getting NDSU? Funny stuff...

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/fullerton-proud-of-tenure-as-big-sky-commissioner/article_2d2dcd92-112f-5cb0-9169-9b0e2990148a.html

Jacks, thanks for the link.  

I know how I felt when Fullerton said he couldn't get the Big Sky Presidents to approve NDSU.   I am not surprised a bit, because the NDSU President at the time, and their AD, were egotistical jackbags.   Indeed, it is funny.

To your criticism of SiouxVolley, that article is consistent with what he's been saying.  Its right in front of you:

“I’m trying to really push the presidents in my last four months to do something dynamic that preempts that. It involves looking at (Idaho and New Mexico State) and maybe looking at having two leagues and managing them with one group — things that have never really been done before but would, I think, solidify the Big Sky Conference for the next 20 years.”

Again, thanks for the link.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jacksfan29 said:

On your board that kind of tone isn't allowed by outsiders but you come here and spew.  Hypocrite to say the least.

Fullerton has long said part of the Big Sky should be FBS, but when I say it that's entirely wrong?  

The only way you would be happy on this board was if:

A.  Totally bragged up Sioux Falls as aa NCAA host (a lot of Sioux fans want SF to host a hockey regional)

B.  The Slummit was extolled the world's best women's basketball conference

C.  Saying NMSU fans are just begging to join the Slummit, which they barf at the thought

D.  Bunny fans had a place here to brag up your bizon buddies

E.  We kept Brookings as the center of the world and considered anything north of Fargo Canada

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

“We will explore all options, and I really believe that there is an opportunity out west for another type of league.” 

Idaho president Chuck Staben

C'mon that's crazy talk there is not going to be another type of league out west, he doesn't know what he's talking about-- says everyone on Bisonville.

14 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Jacks, thanks for the link.  

I know how I felt when Fullerton said he couldn't get the Big Sky Presidents to approve NDSU.   I am not surprised a bit, because the NDSU President at the time, and their AD, were egotistical jackbags.   Indeed, it is funny.

Again, thanks for the link.

BS.  But you live in a fantasy world as all things NDSU are bad.  No one had a better transition period than NDSU because of the great leadership of our President and AD. 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

BS.  But you live in a fantasy world as all things NDSU are bad.  No one had a better transition period* than NDSU because of the great leadership of our President and AD. 

*if you look past being rejected more than once by their first choice conference

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

BS.  But you live in a fantasy world as all things NDSU are bad.  No one had a better transition period than NDSU because of the great leadership of our President and AD. 

Yeah, Joe Chapman was the epitome of leadership....:silly:

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

*if you look past being rejected more than once by their first choice conference

That was about the best thing that happened to NDSU in hind sight.   The Best thing, no lie.   Had NDSU gone into the BSC, the script changes significantly.   Maybe that rejection in 2003 is feather in the cap at UND, but it was the catalyst at NDSU for their transition.   If the BSC vs. the Summit/MVFC was on the table at the same time in the same year, the latter would easily be the 1st choice.   When the BSC was the only choice, it was the 1st choice, yes. 

• Upvote 2