SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Food for thought: 

15000 per game * $75 season (5 game) ticket package no wait, 1/3 price ... 

15000 per game * $25 season (5 game) ticket package = $375,000.

Or get a neutral game against Minny, Wisconsin or Nebraska and add that to the avg. I do believe if we are the "home team" it adds to our average attendance. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Food for thought: 

15000 per game * $75 season (5 game) ticket package no wait, 1/3 price ... 

15000 per game * $25 season (5 game) ticket package = $375,000.

Would the actual number be 15,000? Wouldn't the remainder be bought, maybe 5,000? (assuming we are averaging 10k in attendance) 

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Would the actual number be 15,000? Wouldn't the remainder be bought, maybe 5,000? (assuming we are averaging 10k in attendance) 

FBS is 12 games so if we can get 6 or 7 home games so the amount would be more than 375k.

39 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Kind of playing it fast and loose with the word "cheaply" there!! :)

Grandstands on the east side and end zones could be built for a couple of mill.  Getting something that people actually can sit and enjoy the same is another matter.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

My point is we would not need to buy 15,000 tickets for each game. We would buy the remainder of unsold tickets.

Yep, I meant to quote Sic's 375k amount not yours. I would think about 7k for about 6 games would cover it.

Or how about 4000 standing room tickets at the Alerus for $3 (1/3 price would be $1) each for the balconies, end zones and other miscellaneous areas? ;)

disclaimer - I live in Arizona and have never been to the Alerus so have no personal concept of what I am suggesting. :D

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dakota said:

Or how about 4000 standing room tickets at the Alerus for $3 (1/3 price would be $1) each for the balconies, end zones and other miscellaneous areas? ;)

disclaimer - I live in Arizona and have never been to the Alerus so have no personal concept of what I am suggesting. :D

I think they call that SRO. :p

Good try, and probably been tried, and that's why the rules state a 1/3 of highest regular tickets.

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I think they call that SRO. :p

Good try, and probably been tried, and that's why the rules state a 1/3 of highest regular tickets.

Wait... You mean to tell me that season tickets for UND football are $75?!!!! So if 4000 people who would never be able to show up at the Alerus paid $25 for season tickets to non-existent end zone seats, that would satisfy this ridiculous rule?

19 minutes ago, dakota said:

Wait... You mean to tell me that season tickets for UND football are $75?!!!! So if 4000 people who would never be able to show up at the Alerus paid $25 for season tickets to non-existent end zone seats, that would satisfy this ridiculous rule?

Not sure what you're trying to get at but I'll say sure. 

But the Alerus can't sell 4,000 SRO tickets to actual people though. I'm sure there's a limit to the number of people that can attend a UND football game thanks to "code." Unless of course it was still under capacity with those 4,000 people but wouldn't that be counterproductive to your point of trying to get over 15,000.

I believe, its usually its a "foundation" that buys all the "unused" tickets at the reduced rate, and they were 4,000 tickets "to the game" yet had to watch it on TV in the Ballroom. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not sure what you're trying to get at but I'll say sure. 

But the Alerus can't sell 4,000 SRO tickets to actual people though. I'm sure there's a limit to the number of people that can attend a UND football game thanks to "code." Unless of course it was still under capacity with those 4,000 people but wouldn't that be counterproductive to your point of trying to get over 15,000.

I believe, its usually its a "foundation" that buys all the "unused" tickets at the reduced rate, and they were 4,000 tickets "to the game" yet had to watch it on TV in the Ballroom. :lol:

Thanks. Got it. 

2 hours ago, dakota said:

Seems you understand it well enough that maybe you should apply to write similar "rules" for the NCAA. Maybe you could start with something like you have to quit using a trademark but have to retain the trademark which means you have to keep using the trademark. ;)

More to your point, the attendance rule is in my opinion hypocritical by the NCAA. The NCAA is supposed to be all about student-athlete opportunities. If the institution can afford 85 scholarships for FB (plus the extras for Title IX) who cares about the number of fans in the stands? By requiring N number of fans you're saying fans are more important than student-athlete opportunities. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seems you understand it well enough that maybe you should apply to write similar "rules" for the NCAA. Maybe you could start with something like you have to quit using a trademark but have to retain the trademark which means you have to keep using the trademark. ;)

More to your point, the attendance rule is in my opinion hypocritical by the NCAA. The NCAA is supposed to be all about student-athlete opportunities. If the institution can afford 85 scholarships for FB (plus the extras for Title IX) who cares about the number of fans in the stands? By requiring N number of fans you're saying fans are more important than student-athlete opportunities. 

Well said! 

The NCAA is all about 3 things. 1. controlling student athletes. 2. Keeping their jobs(funding) 3. Controlling the money.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If attendance was so important why is football the only sport with that rule? No other DI sports has this rule. College basketball has attendances that are less than 1000, and yet they can play ball at the top level instead at a subdivision. People love MM because the little guy could upset a Kansas, Duke or whomever at the top, but at the same time there can't be the same thing in football, it has to be subdivisions, and an attendance rule to keep certain teams away from the FBS (not just the p5 conferences) but the entire FBS.

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

Well said! 

The NCAA is all about 3 things. 1. controlling student athletes. 2. Keeping their jobs(funding) 3. Controlling the money.

And now, hidden camera footage from a recent NCAA meeting ...

On 3/8/2016 at 3:03 AM, darell1976 said:

If attendance was so important why is football the only sport with that rule? 

Really good question. I would think the NCAA would be more worried about the overall student-athlete population and the sustainability of the department that supports them. With that mindset wouldn't the total attendance (all sports through the turnstiles) the school generates be the most important factor, not just football attendance? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dakota said:

Any news or rumors out of Reno about the direction Idaho will go with their football team?

If they are smart, they'll drop down to FCS and join the Big Sky Conference. Or if they don't want to do that, they'll drop the program instead of trying to survive as an FBS Independent, which would drown the athletic department in a deep sea of red ink (regardless of how much Bowl money they get).

I'm just excited for this summer to arrive, as SiouxVolley has been promising the BigSky to FBS move would be announced in 2016.  Or has that timetable changed now that it's actually 2016.  Is it 2018 now?  Just keep pushing it back....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I'm just excited for this summer to arrive, as SiouxVolley has been promising the BigSky to FBS move would be announced in 2016.  Or has that timetable changed now that it's actually 2016.  Is it 2018 now?  Just keep pushing it back....

Bro, it's in the open records requests...come on!  keep up! ;) 

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

It 2018 for the transition and 2016 for the NCAA rule changes this summer.  You haven't been keeping up Southpaw.  Your insider position should keep you informed of all Big Sky and NCAA moves, shouldn't it?  

On 3/7/2016 at 3:03 AM, darell1976 said:

If attendance was so important why is football the only sport with that rule? No other DI sports has this rule. College basketball has attendances that are less than 1000, and yet they can play ball at the top level instead at a subdivision. People love MM because the little guy could upset a Kansas, Duke or whomever at the top, but at the same time there can't be the same thing in football, it has to be subdivisions, and an attendance rule to keep certain teams away from the FBS (not just the p5 conferences) but the entire FBS.

Just another hoop you have to jump through to keep schools away from the money.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...