SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Even if the BSC got approval for an FBS conf (to which I say BS), if there are no changes to the current FBS, there is no draw.  If I'm ndsu, I stay out of that bottom of the barrel league and stay in the Valley.  The valley will move if the sky can move.

2 minutes ago, Herd said:

Even if the BSC got approval for an FBS conf (to which I say BS), if there are no changes to the current FBS, there is no draw.  If I'm ndsu, I stay out of that bottom of the barrel league and stay in the Valley.  The valley will move if the sky can move.

The Valley may invite NMSU and Denver as travel partners.  It would need at least on more football school to go FBS.  Bet on Sam Houston St and Lamar long before NDSU as Wichita St wants a Texas presence for the league, not a Dakota presence.

NDSU fans expecting any allegiance from the MVC are in for a very rude awakening.  They'd push your naked body out of the car in a -30 blizzard.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Valley may invite NMSU and Denver as travel partners.  It would need at least on more football school to go FBS.  Bet on Sam Houston St and Lamar long before NDSU as Wichita St wants a Texas presence for the league, not a Dakota presence.

NDSU fans expecting any allegiance from the MVC are in for a very rude awakening.  They'd push your naked body out of the car in a -30 blizzard.

If the BSC is allowed to be FBS, anyone (and I mean anyone) can go FBS . . . all current rules would be out the door.   I don't believe that would ever happen.  But if it did, there is no western draw for NDSU, none.   Why double travel for a worse conference?       If there is a G5/P5 split, the Valley will be ahead of the BSC in competing for Tier 2 titles for FB, just as it is today at the FCS level.

When Wichita leaves the MVC, the MVC and Summit will be on nearly equal footing in M/W BB. 

10 minutes ago, Herd said:

If the BSC is allowed to be FBS, anyone (and I mean anyone) can go FBS . . . all current rules would be out the door.   I don't believe that would ever happen.  But if it did, there is no western draw for NDSU, none.   Why double travel for a worse conference?       If there is a G5/P5 split, the Valley will be ahead of the BSC in competing for Tier 2 titles for FB, just as it is today at the FCS level.

When Wichita leaves the MVC, the MVC and Summit will be on nearly equal footing in M/W BB. 

You AD wants to raise student fees to cover additional travel costs.  Apparently they have more than doubled in the Vally/Summit in the last 2 years   

Probably couldn't budget for all the additional travel costs of the big sky  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Herd said:

How many schools in the MVC have large enough stadiums and enough sports to move FBS? A lot of those schools probably couldn't do it if they haven't been preparing for the possibility. Why double travel for a worse conference? Because FBS automatically gets you guaranteed money from the CFB Playoff, a conference TV deal that brings in tons of money, increased exposure for the university, local P5 games, etc. Minnesota has been playing a Group of 5 non-conference road game almost every year, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility at all for them to come to UND on a home and home. The potential money to be made by moving up is much, much more than what's possible at the FCS level. Why do you think so many schools have either been moving up or wanting to move up in recent years? It's also why no schools want to drop down to FCS. They would lose A LOT of money.

Money rules college sports

2 hours ago, Herd said:

So you saying the NDSU fan base gets more worked up over Indiana St and Missouri St than the Montanas and E Wash?

Wichita St doesn't have anywhere to go.  The most effective G5 model is with ten schools, not 14 like CUSA.  They won't take a startup football program off the bat.  But Wichita St wants football now.  Could it be that they know avenue is opening up for FCS to FBS conferences?

2 hours ago, GFG said:

How many schools in the MVC have large enough stadiums and enough sports to move FBS? A lot of those schools probably couldn't do it if they haven't been preparing for the possibility. Why double travel for a worse conference? Because FBS automatically gets you guaranteed money from the CFB Playoff, a conference TV deal that brings in tons of money, increased exposure for the university, local P5 games, etc. Minnesota has been playing a Group of 5 non-conference road game almost every year, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility at all for them to come to UND on a home and home. The potential money to be made by moving up is much, much more than what's possible at the FCS level. Why do you think so many schools have either been moving up or wanting to move up in recent years? It's also why no schools want to drop down to FCS. They would lose A LOT of money.

Money rules college sports

Why is Wichita St planning an FBS team again when there is no place that will take them except the MVC, which has to?

Wichita St is attractive as anon-football school. Why ruin that and start football?

47 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So you saying the NDSU fan base gets more worked up over Indiana St and Missouri St than the Montanas and E Wash?

Wichita St doesn't have anywhere to go.  The most effective G5 model is with ten schools, not 14 like CUSA.  They won't take a startup football program off the bat.  But Wichita St wants football now.  Could it be that they know avenue is opening up for FCS to FBS conferences?

SD, SDSU, UNI vs. MT, MTSU, UND . . . No difference other than less travel.  The rivalries, the caliber of play, no difference.   Throw in IL state and S IL and YT for FB and you have a better conf in the Valley.

Why would ndsu so west, other than MWC?  There is no benefit, just negatives on travel and recruiting base.   Basketball, I'd take the summit every time over BSC.

12 minutes ago, Herd said:

SD, SDSU, UNI vs. MT, MTSU, UND . . . No difference other than less travel.  The rivalries, the caliber of play, no difference.   Throw in IL state and S IL and YT for FB and you have a better conf in the Valley.

Why would ndsu so west, other than MWC?  There is no benefit, just negatives on travel and recruiting base.   Basketball, I'd take the summit every time over BSC.

No Dakota school would ever get a full membership to the MVC.  FBS conferences are not like FCS, where any Ton, Dick, and Harry can get an invite.  FBS conference are choosy because there is bucks involved and prestige.  NDSU won't get any credit for their five natty's.  If that was important to the MVC, you'd already be in.

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

No Dakota school would ever get a full membership to the MVC.  FBS conferences are not like FCS, where any Ton, Dick, and Harry can get an invite.  FBS conference are choosy because there is bucks involved and prestige.  NDSU won't get any credit for their five natty's.  If that was important to the MVC, you'd already be in.

Did you just say that FBS conferences are "Choosy" and "Prestige", and "The BSC is going FBS" in the same sentence?  You are talking out of both sides of your mouth again.

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Did you just say that FBS conferences are "Choosy" and "Prestige", and "The BSC is going FBS" in the same sentence?  You are talking out of both sides of your mouth again.

Where did he mention the Big Sky in the post you quoted? He was talking about the MVC.

2 hours ago, Herd said:

He's not talking about the Mountain West picking UND, he is talking about UND going FBS under the Big Sky umbrella which we are a part of, also mentioned is the MVC (not football) not picking you, SDSU or USD because they don't care about the MVFC. MVC does not equal MVFC. Lets repeat that, MVC does NOT equal MVFC. MVC is a multi bid conference headed by UNI, and Wichita St. NDSU doesn't compete with those teams, yes they can kick butt (not this year) in the Slummit, but not the MVC. MVFC hasn't said a word about FBS and why? Maybe they don't want to go, but thats your problem not ours.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

He's not talking about the Mountain West picking UND, he is talking about UND going FBS under the Big Sky umbrella which we are a part of, also mentioned is the MVC (not football) not picking you, SDSU or USD because they don't care about the MVFC. MVC does not equal MVFC. Lets repeat that, MVC does NOT equal MVFC. MVC is a multi bid conference headed by UNI, and Wichita St. NDSU doesn't compete with those teams, yes they can kick butt (not this year) in the Slummit, but not the MVC. MVFC hasn't said a word about FBS and why? Maybe they don't want to go, but thats your problem not ours.

just refer to the mvfc as the mid-con conference to help the ndac fans out...

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

To be fair I'm not sure that is an accurate comparison. I'm sure they get more wored up over Indiana St. and Missouri St. than they would against Sacramento St. or Idaho St. I also think they would get more pumped up for UNI or SDSU over MT or EWU. This last years MT game was a bit of an exception with the ESPN exposure.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

To be fair I'm not sure that is an accurate comparison. I'm sure they get more wored up over Indiana St. and Missouri St. than they would against Sacramento St. or Idaho St. I also think they would get more pumped up for UNI or SDSU over MT or EWU. This last years MT game was a bit of an exception with the ESPN exposure.

We all have the ho hum teams in our conference, even back to the NCC days. 

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We all have the ho hum teams in our conference, even back to the NCC days. 

Exactly, that's what I was saying. They are going to be for worked up to play a bad team in their conference over a bad team in our conference. They are going to be more worked up to play a good team in their conference over a good team in our conference. They are going to be more worked up to play a good team in our conference over a bad team in their conference. And they will definitely be more worked up to play a good team in their conference over a bad team in our conference.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Disagree. The FU fans were waiting for the MT game before ESPN was involved.  Next years EWU game will get hyped as well.  

You also can't compare non conference to conference games.  Not as much at stake.  

25 minutes ago, homer said:

Disagree. The FU fans were waiting for the MT game before ESPN was involved.  Next years EWU game will get hyped as well.  

You also can't compare non conference to conference games.  Not as much at stake.  

Agreed, my whole point was comparing MT or E. Wash to Indiana St or Missouri St, isn't a comparison. Top tier teams vs basement teams, of course they are going to get pumped against the better competition. Lets reverse roles, who is UND going to be more excited to play NDSU/SDSU/UNI or Sacramento State? Same type of comparison, same result. Your going to be more pumped for the better teams.

• Upvote 1

NDSU fans are like hayseeds at a MVC country club.  They have these awards they so proudly show but none of the members are impressed and most are turned off.  Wichita State rules the roost monetarily and after the last add of Loyola Chicago, Wichita State is owed big time for giving the MVC deep runs in the dance.  Wichita State will pick who they want for an FBS MVC, and it won't be NDSU.

Vandals message board:

Today, I wrote another letter to Dr. Staben. To which, he promptly responded. After reading it, I am positive that the decision to retreat to FCS and accept the Big Sky's offer is already made...no question in my mind.

I was quite astonished (maybe I shouldn't be) by his response to how he sees what I called a "drop down" to FCS: "my view of FCS football is more positive than yours. I don't think of dropping back. I always think of moving forward..."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Idaho has two choices: 1) Either drop down to FCS for football or 2) Drop football as a varsity sport.

We'll soon find out which option they will go with.

They will drop down to FCS in the Big Sky and keep football. If they and the BSC ends up moving to the 2nd tier (currently the G5 of the FBS) of college football, it will be at the same time as a major College Football realignment when the top 4 or 5 FCS conferences in the country will move up at the same time. This whole BSC to the FBS as it currently exists is just a bunch of BS from SV. 

Having Idaho in the BSC gives them zero advantage over the MVFC. And both conferences have equal numbers of teams that are both capable and incapable of making the move to the FBS in it's current form. If the rules are changed by the NCAA, it will open up the road for all FCS conferences to make the move, not just the BSC.They won't all make the move, but they will all have an equal chance to meet the new requirements. They aren't going to write new rules to allow only one conference to qualify as SV would have you believe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1