SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Herald article is wrong as sportswriters can't dig and don't know how to look into separate financial balance and income sheets for the REA and UND athletics.

UND football on the UND athletics only shows revenue from the Champions club, as does hockey.  Those aren't tickets sold but fees to join the club.

All tickets sold go to the REA Trust which funds the arena upkeep, pays REA salaries etc.

Selling almost 250 k hockey ticket a year is about 10 million, plus the football tickets plus the basketball tickets, plus REA concessions, plus REA parking, plus REA advertising.  The total UND budget will increase substantially when the REA becomes UND property.  So UND athletics real budget is more than $35 million, but sportswriters don't understand and aren't trained on financials.

This cannot happen soon enough.

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Herald article is wrong as sportswriters can't dig and don't know how to look into separate financial balance and income sheets for the REA and UND athletics.

UND football on the UND athletics only shows revenue from the Champions club, as does hockey.  Those aren't tickets sold but fees to join the club.

All tickets sold go to the REA Trust which funds the arena upkeep, pays REA salaries etc.

Selling almost 250 k hockey ticket a year is about 10 million, plus the football tickets plus the basketball tickets, plus REA concessions, plus REA parking, plus REA advertising.  The total UND budget will increase substantially when the REA becomes UND property.  So UND athletics real budget is more than $35 million, but sportswriters don't understand and aren't trained on financials.

It must not cost much in Champions Club dues for women's hockey tickets, but it must cost something, since there was a dollar figure for it. At $15/ticket with 5 to 6 thousand paying fans per game, that $410,000 figure for football tickets seems reasonable. Are There really 25 home mens hockey games a year? That seems high to me. And if the Champions Club is taking in $4.5 million a year and giving less than $3 million to UND athletics, what are they doing with the other $1.5 million?

Champions club has expenses to pay such as salaries, charter plane costs, paying the REA for some perks, food, Alerus room rental etc.

The REA has had 20 games including exhibitions and playoffs.  The playoff money goes to the NCHC though.  Doesn't include suites and premium seating as income on UND's financials.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Champions club has expenses to pay such as salaries, charter plane costs, paying the REA for some perks, food, Alerus room rental etc.

The REA has had 20 games including exhibitions and playoffs.  The playoff money goes to the NCHC though.  Doesn't include suites and premium seating as income on UND's financials.

Why is ticket revenue for football games in the Alerus Center going to the REA?

42 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Selling almost 250 k hockey ticket a year is about 10 million

Unless the Ralph can seat 25,000, they aren't taking in 10 million a year. At $420/ticket for the public and $335 for faculty and staff for season tickets, saying there are a little under 10,000 non students tickets, I would say ticket revenue is very close to Mr. Millers $3-4 million than your $10 million.

35 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Unless the Ralph can seat 25,000, they aren't taking in 10 million a year. At $420/ticket for the public and $335 for faculty and staff for season tickets, saying there are a little under 10,000 non students tickets, I would say ticket revenue is very close to Mr. Millers $3-4 million than your $10 million.

Seems to me the only $$$ missing is the beer and food sales.  Wonder how much that is?

43 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

why do you care...really?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Am only back for a couple games a year and for one game the tickets can cost up to $50.  Used an average ticket price of $40, but concede it's is much lower with season tickets.  The total take the REA gets though from men's hockey must be near $10 mill, including tickets, suite rental, parking, concessions, advertising etc.  

Champions Club memberships make up a huge fraction of ticket sales as people pay from $135 to $50 k to be members.  

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Am only back for a couple games a year and for one game the tickets can cost up to $50.  Used an average ticket price of $40, but concede it's is much lower with season tickets.  The total take the REA gets though from men's hockey must be near $10 mill, including tickets, suite rental, parking, concessions, advertising etc.  

Champions Club memberships make up a huge fraction of ticket sales as people pay from $135 to $50 k to be members.  

My guess is the amounts in the Miller column are the actual ticket revenues not including the CC fees, which is given the the athletic department in the annual CC's donation. But why is the REA getting the revenue from football games being played in the Alerus Center? 

8 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

My guess is the amounts in the Miller column are the actual ticket revenues not including the CC fees, which is given the the athletic department in the annual CC's donation. But why is the REA getting the revenue from football games being played in the Alerus Center? 

The REA has a contract to manage all football ticket sales. How the REA Trust's charitable contribitions to the UND budget is displayed don't know.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 11:59 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

Almost 3 times as many people in their metro area? More than 600,000 people in the Boise metro versus about 225,000 in the Fargo metro.

Hey, I'm no Bison fan but Madison has maybe 350,000 folks or so (maybe another 100K in MSA?) and they pack 85,000 just about every home game in Camp Randall.  Albeit, home attendance ain't the only thing that dictates/stamps FBS level football though. 

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

It must not cost much in Champions Club dues for women's hockey tickets, but it must cost something, since there was a dollar figure for it. At $15/ticket with 5 to 6 thousand paying fans per game, that $410,000 figure for football tickets seems reasonable. Are There really 25 home mens hockey games a year? That seems high to me. And if the Champions Club is taking in $4.5 million a year and giving less than $3 million to UND athletics, what are they doing with the other $1.5 million?

I'm thinking the Sioux hockey team plays like 18-20 home games a season.

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

Hey, I'm no Bison fan but Madison has maybe 350,000 folks or so (maybe another 100K in MSA?) and they pack 85,000 just about every home game in Camp Randall.  Albeit, home attendance ain't the only thing that dictates/stamps FBS level football though. 

I wonder if having a million or two people within 75 miles helps fill that stadium.

It's equivalent to having the U of M campus in St. Cloud. Pretty easy drive the "metro" fans to attend. 

10 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Are There really 25 home mens hockey games a year? That seems high to me. 

Rather than make a statement that any hockey fan here knows to be correct (and thus shakes their head at you), why don't you go look at a schedule and educate yourself a little more about hockey?

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Rather than make a statement that any hockey fan here knows to be correct (and thus shakes their head at you), why don't you go look at a schedule and educate yourself a little more about hockey?

UND played 19 home games this past season, 21 if you include exhibition. 

REA collects all ticket revenue for MH, WH, FB, MBB, WBB and VB.   It keeps 52% and distributes 48% to UND.  So I suspect the $410,000 is the 48%.

I got this info from the notes to UND's FY 2014 financial report.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This is incorrect. Contributions are broken out separately. The ticket revenues reported is gross dollar amount of tickets sold. You are correct that UND contracts out those services to the REA but it comes with an agreement that splits the ticket revenue.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, lawkota said:

REA collects all ticket revenue for MH, WH, FB, MBB, WBB and VB.   It keeps 52% and distributes 48% to UND.  So I suspect the $410,000 is the 48%.

I got this info from the notes to UND's FY 2014 financial report.

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

This is incorrect. Contributions are broken out separately. The ticket revenues reported is gross dollar amount of tickets sold. You are correct that UND contracts out those services to the REA but it comes with an agreement that splits the ticket revenue.

I stand corrected.  Thanks, as I had not read the financial 2014 report.

22 hours ago, Cratter said:

I wonder if having a million or two people within 75 miles helps fill that stadium.

It's equivalent to having the U of M campus in St. Cloud. Pretty easy drive the "metro" fans to attend. 

I assume you're talking Milwaukee.  No clue, they likely do in numbers, but I just don't know how many make the trek.  I'm guessing Chicago metro also has a fair number of Badger alums attending ftbl games too.   I think Madison is a larger version of Sioux hockey attendance, rabid fan base with very successful ftbl teams these past 20 - 25 years and they fill plenty of seats. 

On 5/1/2016 at 3:36 PM, SiouxVolley said:

I've explained that time and time again, but bizon fans get so enraged about the idea that the Big Sky will go FBS that they don't read on.

The NCAA move up rules for FBS will be challenged in court by schools like Liberty and Youngstown St.  The NCAA knows they have a poor case and could even have to pay damaged.  The NCAA wants an FBS team to announce a move down, and all the sudden the NCAA will seem like a good entity when it changes the rules for Idaho - and others.

PR 101.

Wouldn't saving Idaho from being forced to go FBS Independent get the NCAA about the same PR advantage anyway? Assuming, of course, that there's any real PR advantage to be had in pulling an obscure, and poorly managed program like Idaho's butt out of the fire the first place. The PR effect might be the opposite of what you're suggesting.

at the idaho press conference they did admit that they sped up the deadline to join the bsc bc of other standing offers to join the big sky...imo they are offering up two more spots to either nmsu, usd, sdsu, or ndac and then split into two divisions or conferences (fbs or otherwise)

55 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

at the idaho press conference they did admit that they sped up the deadline to join the bsc bc of other standing offers to join the big sky...imo they are offering up two more spots to either nmsu, usd, sdsu, or ndac and then split into two divisions or conferences (fbs or otherwise)

Not that I believe your theory, but if true, I highly doubt USD is being asked since they already had their chance at becoming a Big Sky member...

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

Not that I believe your theory, but if true, I highly doubt USD is being asked since they already had their chance at becoming a Big Sky member...

yeah that made them look bad but it wasn't their decision to make or not make i guess....sounds like the state board  in sioux falls chose for them and that was the slumit and mid-con

plus with a new commish its probably water under the bridge