SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I don't think Miami is going to leave the NCHC and Western Michigan begged to get into the NCHC so, I would take rumor with a grain of salt. BGSU was also one of the last schools to accept the invitation to get into the WCHA.

Let's consider the source here .... Bowling Green being in a separate conference from Miami and Western Michigan IS a weak spot in the current alignment (maybe the weakest spot).

Not surprising that persons related to BGSU would want to stir the pot, because they are stuck with the "lesser" teams. (Lesser in quotes because in mens ice hockey, BGSU has been looking up at everyone in the standings ever since Jerry York left.)

BUT you gotta believe Blasi (Miami) and Murray (Western) are thrilled with the current alignment. Can't believe Miami and Western would come in in 2013-2014 and leave anytime soon.

Best likelihood is that NCHC adds BGSU - once BGSU gets their act together. Which I would not mind ... having more friends in the MAC can only be good for UND longer-term.

Maybe travel costs for Miami and Western?

http://www.sent-trib...hockey-10-30-13

With Western Michigan already having one of the worst football programs in the land, does it make financial sense to fly to Denver and Colorado Springs and Omaha and Grand Forks rather than bus to Michigan Tech or Northern Michigan or Bowling Green (less than 3 hours). Mankato made more sense.

Trading trips to Colorado for Alaska and Alabama? Don't think so.

If W Mich was gonna make a move, they'd form a league with BGSU, Ferris, Miami, Mercyhust, Canisius, Niagara, Robert Morris. Miami would have a hard time being convinced. That league centered around Lake Erie almost formed the last time.

That's what the article suggests. BGSU is probably pushing strongly for it and it may have the W NY Atlantic Hockey teams behind it. Atlantic Hockey was supposed to announce St. Anselms or Navy or Rhode Island by now. Something is holding it up.

If this is true, the NCHC might be in trouble. Either add Mankato and Bemdji or get an Iowa St, Colorado, or Utah.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting page at JLG architect:

http://jlgarchitects...ena-master-plan

Obviously it won't happen that way, but Indiana U apparently was interested in the plans.

This caught my eye.

Indiana University’s plan to move its hockey program to Division 1 included this proposal to develop a truly “green” arena. The buildings shell resided in North Dakota as the former Ralph Englestad Arena. The plan was to dismantle the facility and ship it by rail to Bloomington, Indiana, where it would become the new home to Hoosier Hockey. The facility would go from 6,500 seats to 5,500 seats and receive a comprehensive renewal and re-birth

Interesting page at JLG architect:

http://jlgarchitects...ena-master-plan

Obviously it won't happen that way, but Indiana U apparently was interested in the plans.

Not really hockey related, but in North Dakota interest...if you go under Civic/Public in their work...they are the architects for the GF County Building and the new Ward County (Minot) Administration Building. They are both interesting concepts.

• 3 weeks later...

This crap has gone toooo far with the NCAA....

Lesson to youth....

DO NOT act with character and human decency, fill out a form and await thy imperial decree.

These stories are all too common...

http://keepingscore....yer-is-benched/

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20060912/NEWS/609120323

The second case, the story of Ray Ray McElrathbey, is particularly troubling. Although it happened in 2006, it certainly demonstrates a power-mad NCAA. The only reason that case was overturned was due to the publicity it generated after ESPN did a story on Ray Ray and his situation.

Look, I think there's room for moderation in the NCAA's enforcement, but let's look at a few facts:

1. The player wasn't "in need". The player had a very expensive watch stolen out of the locker room. That sucks, but that's not "in need".

2. Sounds like they've had issues in that room before. if so, then shame on the player for bringing in his valuable watch.

3. From the other side of the fence, how do you regulate coaches giving players gifts if you let something like this slide? How do you differentiate between an improper gift and a coach giving money for something like this?

Personally, I don't see it as a huge deal, but on the other hand if you're going to have a rule like this (for good reason) you have to enforce it.

• 2 weeks later...

Look, I think there's room for moderation in the NCAA's enforcement, but let's look at a few facts:

1. The player wasn't "in need". The player had a very expensive watch stolen out of the locker room. That sucks, but that's not "in need".

2. Sounds like they've had issues in that room before. if so, then shame on the player for bringing in his valuable watch.

3. From the other side of the fence, how do you regulate coaches giving players gifts if you let something like this slide? How do you differentiate between an improper gift and a coach giving money for something like this?

Personally, I don't see it as a huge deal, but on the other hand if you're going to have a rule like this (for good reason) you have to enforce it.

$400 dollars is not an expensive watch.

Actually anyone with a little class would know that. Probably why you did not.

Little bit touchy there Smokey.

What part of my post indicated I was in disagreement with you? Or were you implying I'm not classy because I can't sit by the pool in Arizona drinking cocktails?