SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

NCHC playoff tourney name?

Nacho Libre

Nacho Supreme

Natty Bumpo

the Nacho-Quatro

the Final Five...sorry, just a little too much WCHA history spilling over...

Fantastic Four

Frozen Four...that one might be in use already... :)

Bruce McLeod Frozen Felons

the St. Cloud will lose 'no matter how good they are during the regular season' tourney...

Fearsome Foursome (thanks L.A. Rams)

Subway Classic

Fighting Sioux Classic

the Otto or the Otto-matic Qualifier, maybe call it the OQ (after former WCHA commish Otto Breitenbach)

and finally... the Archie (after Jim Archibald)

How about the " What Four " ?

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to agree with most of that. The NCHC should have bent over backwards in every way possible to get Notre Dame into the league. They may not be a "traditional" hockey power, but the school itself is certainly the most recognizable brand name in NCAA sports.

Having said that, I don't agree that staying in what has become of the WCHA would be preferrable to the NCHC. The admission of St. Cloud is an eyesore, but at least they do emphasize hockey. Staying aligned with Denver and CC, and then adding Miami was a great shift under the circumstances....................

On a sidenote, I see that there will be no TV coverage for the 3rd place game of the NCHC tourney.

I don't understand the love affair you people have with Miami of Ohio.

I tend to agree with most of that. The NCHC should have bent over backwards in every way possible to get Notre Dame into the league. They may not be a "traditional" hockey power, but the school itself is certainly the most recognizable brand name in NCAA sports.

Having said that, I don't agree that staying in what has become of the WCHA would be preferrable to the NCHC. The admission of St. Cloud is an eyesore, but at least they do emphasize hockey. Staying aligned with Denver and CC, and then adding Miami was a great shift under the circumstances....................

On a sidenote, I see that there will be no TV coverage for the 3rd place game of the NCHC tourney.

Notre Dame would have joined the NCHC had we allowed them to get away with what Hockey East let them get away with. Have you seen the Hockey East TV schedule that was just released? 5 Hockey East games + 12 Notre Dame games. That their TV deal! Notre Dame is on NBCSN 12 times and nobody else in the conference is on TV more than like twice. Thats what they wanted to do with the NCHC and we said no. So instead we have the CBSSN deal that allows everybody a more fair showing.

DATE GAME TIME Friday, October 25 Massachusetts – Maine 8 p.m. Friday, November 1 Northeastern – Boston College 8 p.m. Friday, November 8 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, November 15 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, November 22 North Dakota – Boston University 7:30 p.m. Friday, December 6 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Saturday, December 7 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 6:30 p.m. Friday, January 10 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, January 17 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, January 24 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, January 25 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:00 p.m. Friday, January 31 Boston University – Massachusetts 7:30 p.m. Friday, February 7 Maine – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Saturday, February 8 Maine – Notre Dame 8 p.m. Friday, February 14 Boston University – New Hampshire 7 p.m. Friday, February 21 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.

I doubt anybody would have been happy seeing ND have 12 TV appearances and UND get 2 or 3 every year. Notre Dame controls the TV deal with NBC and allows Hockey East to have a few token games thrown in too.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/10/11/nbcsn-and-notre-dame-announce-three-year-agreement-to-televise-notre-dame-hockey-home-games/

Notre Dame would have joined the NCHC had we allowed them to get away with what Hockey East let them get away with. Have you seen the Hockey East TV schedule that was just released? 5 Hockey East games + 12 Notre Dame games. That their TV deal! Notre Dame is on NBCSN 12 times and nobody else in the conference is on TV more than like twice. Thats what they wanted to do with the NCHC and we said no. So instead we have the CBSSN deal that allows everybody a more fair showing.

DATE GAME TIME Friday, October 25 Massachusetts – Maine 8 p.m. Friday, November 1 Northeastern – Boston College 8 p.m. Friday, November 8 Minnesota – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, November 15 Merrimack – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, November 22 North Dakota – Boston University 7:30 p.m. Friday, December 6 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Saturday, December 7 Massachusetts – Notre Dame 6:30 p.m. Friday, January 10 Alabama Huntsville – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, January 17 Lake Superior State – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, January 24 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Friday, January 25 Northeastern – Notre Dame 7:00 p.m. Friday, January 31 Boston University – Massachusetts 7:30 p.m. Friday, February 7 Maine – Notre Dame 7:30 p.m. Saturday, February 8 Maine – Notre Dame 8 p.m. Friday, February 14 Boston University – New Hampshire 7 p.m. Friday, February 21 Boston University – Notre Dame 7 p.m.

I doubt anybody would have been happy seeing ND have 12 TV appearances and UND get 2 or 3 every year. Notre Dame controls the TV deal with NBC and allows Hockey East to have a few token games thrown in too.

http://nbcsportsgrou...key-home-games/

The more I learn about Notre Dame, the more I HATE them. :angry:

It's a good program and a perennial NCAA title contender. What's not to like?

If you were a Miami fan, dare I say you would be calling for Enrico Blasi's head? No 'perennial contender' has been upset in NCAA tournament play more times in the past 7-10 years than Miami.

What is to like about them? I mean, in their best "feel good" story, the coach wasn't going to let Rudy dress for his last game until the entire team mutinied. :-)

Hollywood revisionist history. Coach Devine was actually very much in favor of Rudy suiting up and playing in his final game. It made for a better movie story though to portray him as anti-Rudy.

If you were a Miami fan, dare I say you would be calling for Enrico Blasi's head? No 'perennial contender' has been upset in NCAA tournament play more times in the past 7-10 years than Miami.

Before Blasi, Miami was a wanna-be, never-was program. So I think he still has some wiggle-room with the fan base.

Nope :)

Before Blasi, Miami was a wanna-be, never-was program. So I think he still has some wiggle-room with the fan base.

Wiggle-room doesn't even being to describe it

Nope :)

Wiggle-room doesn't even being to describe it

My post was directed specifically at fightingsioux4life...I didn't actually believe that Miami fans would want Blasi canned. He's been quite vocal about a certain Fighting Sioux head coach's inability to win an NCAA title though.

My post was directed specifically at fightingsioux4life...I didn't actually believe that Miami fans would want Blasi canned. He's been quite vocal about a certain Fighting Sioux head coach's inability to win an NCAA title though.

Yeah, you are correct, I have been (along with a few other brave souls on here). And I don't apologize for it, either. It is fair to ask why we haven't hung a green NCAA banner during Hakstol's tenure with the talent that has come through Grand Forks. Granted, we have had some early departures, but so does every other program. I do think he is making some positive changes to the team in terms of recruiting and style of play and I think this year's team has some solid potential. And I am not in the "Fire Hak" crowd. But it is more than fair to question the lack of NCAA titles under Hak's leadership. And I think he would tell you the same thing if you asked him.

Yeah, you are correct, I have been (along with a few other brave souls on here). And I don't apologize for it, either. It is fair to ask why we haven't hung a green NCAA banner during Hakstol's tenure with the talent that has come through Grand Forks. Granted, we have had some early departures, but so does every other program. I do think he is making some positive changes to the team in terms of recruiting and style of play and I think this year's team has some solid potential. And I am not in the "Fire Hak" crowd. But it is more than fair to question the lack of NCAA titles under Hak's leadership. And I think he would tell you the same thing if you asked him.

You're entitled to that opinion - I just wasn't sure if the new Miami folks got the point of my comment. However, I didn't see too many guys leaving Yale early, did you? UND recruits top-notch NHL talent...it's time to recruit talent that wants to win titles IN Grand Forks, not after LEAVING Grand Forks. The ten-fifteen best NHL prospects doesn't necessarily make the best NCAA team. Just my two cents...

• Upvote 1

You're entitled to that opinion - I just wasn't sure if the new Miami folks got the point of my comment. However, I didn't see too many guys leaving Yale early, did you? UND recruits top-notch NHL talent...it's time to recruit talent that wants to win titles IN Grand Forks, not after LEAVING Grand Forks. The ten-fifteen best NHL prospects doesn't necessarily make the best NCAA team. Just my two cents...

You hit the nail right on the head. And I think this year's team is evidence that Hakstol is doing just that.

I have a friend who is a HUGE Notre Dame fan and worships the ground of South Bend. He met the real Rudy once...said the guy is the most pompous arrogent prick he'd ever met in his life.

So, does that mean Rudy has a nationally syndicated talk show too where he can call young volunteers slave labor? :ohmy: