SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

The most realistic scenario for UND is to replace Midco with Fox Sports Regional for all UND home games plus CBSSN national games. In addition with the launch of Fox Sports1' Fox has said they will introduce a competitor to ESPN3/WatchESPN called Fox Sports Go that will simulcast nationally like ESPN3 "all 22" Fox Sports Regional Networks of which could include UND's regional coverage.

Fox Sports North may have programming windows open with the Big Ten Network taking more Minnesota games. Fox Regional exposure and quality would be better then Midco and would offer the national simulcast stream on Fox Go.

Hopefully the NCHC will launch a Digital Network similar to the MAC Digital Network which has done a decent job providing HD streams over the computer, iPhone, iPad, and Android devices for all games not on national TV.

http://www.macsportsondemand.com/#!/view/video/1ef3eceb-9284-432b-a86f-8ad1db09566c/MAC-Weekly-June-13,-2013

There were rumors of a Roku type channel as well. Maybe the NCHC could leverage Miami and Western Michigan to share distribution through the already existing MAC system similar to BTN2Go.

I'm disappointed too but I also realize the circumstances. How many other colleges with an enrollment of 13,000 students has every home game broadcast nationally?

Well, I believe Notre Dame is around 10,000 students and they get all their football games broadcast. ;)

The most realistic scenario for UND is to replace Midco with Fox Sports Regional for all UND home games plus CBSSN national games. In addition with the launch of Fox Sports1' Fox has said they will introduce a competitor to ESPN3/WatchESPN called Fox Sports Go that will simulcast nationally like ESPN3 "all 22" Fox Sports Regional Networks of which could include UND's regional coverage.

Fox Sports North may have programming windows open with the Big Ten Network taking more Minnesota games. Fox Regional exposure and quality would be better then Midco and would offer the national simulcast stream on Fox Go.

Hopefully the NCHC will launch a Digital Network similar to the MAC Digital Network which has done a decent job providing HD streams over the computer, iPhone, iPad, and Android devices for all games not on national TV.

http://www.macsports...y-June-13,-2013

There were rumors of a Roku type channel as well. Maybe the NCHC could leverage Miami and Western Michigan to share distribution through the already existing MAC system similar to BTN2Go.

This is what the new WCHA is looking at for a streaming platform, one provider to house all WCHA games. From what I have heard that came out of the WCHA Summer Meetings in Bemidji is that they are in talks with FoxSports to be that platform. All schools would put their games out on HD and some people that are more tech savvy than me have said this could very easily lead to Roku.

I think if the WCHA would have stayed together after the defection of Minnesota and Wisconsin, FoxSportsNorth would have been interested in listening to a presentation about becoming the broadcast home for the WCHA. With Bemidji, North Dakota, Duluth, St. Cloud and Mankato in the mix (not sure if Omaha or Tech would be in the market), it would have made a nice market and something to fill in for the loss of Gopher hockey games. But that ship has sailed......

I know currently BSU's D-II conference uses a common hosting service to send out the feeds to all NSIC games.

Hello everyone. It's been awhile -- I trust everyone's had a great summer. I posted this over on Schlossman's blog but figured I'd double up over here. FYI, the "big announcements" reference was in response to a specific comment over there:

No one affiliated with UND Athletics promised anyone “big announcements.” Simply not true.

What we *have* been saying is that we will continue to seek improvements to our viewing options across ALL platforms. That has not changed and that will not change. The broadcast situation we have today may not be the broadcast situation we have by the time the puck drops opening night. Or a year from now. These things evolve, take time and require a little patience.

Did we promise HD webcasts and enhanced webcast support? Yes, beginning with the upcoming season our home webcasts will be offered in high definition. In light of the shifting TV situation, we have allocated and committed the necessary resources to providing high quality web streams.

At the end of the day, fans will still have the ability to watch literally every single home game. Every one of them. Plus four road games. Some of these will be on your television screen and yes, some will have to be on your computer screen. You also have the ability to send the HD webcast feed to your flatscreen TV with one cord and one press of a button. In the coming weeks, our website will offer a video tutorial on how to make that conversion for those who are unfamiliar with the process.

In the meantime, we will continue to do everything within our power to bring more of our games back to national TV. Neither UND, nor the NCHC Commissioner, is ignoring our television situation. Quite the contrary, in fact.

But please understand that it is a work in progress.

Hi Jayson, thanks.

Just a question. I'm not a real technical person so I don't understand all of the ins and outs of these situations, but I assume the bandwidth is available to accomodate all of the people expected to sign on to webcasts this year? It seems at times in the past the quality of the stream was affected by the number of people logging on, and with HD I would assume the resource requirements are that much greater.

The ability to connect the webcast to the TV is actually a pretty decent option, especially for people like me that would have to upgrade our DTV subscriptions for several months just to get the FCS broadcasts (I'd have to pay for the webcast subscription or I'd pay to upgrade to the DTV sports pac).

I also realize the system I'm using on my end is a limiter as well. The stream will only be as good as my connection/equipment. Of course, with the TV signal that's not as big of a concern.

So, if the webcast will be able to provide a dependable stream regardless of the HD and the number of people signed on, this is probably an option many of us have under rated to this point.

Thanks

Hi Jayson, thanks.

Just a question. I'm not a real technical person so I don't understand all of the ins and outs of these situations, but I assume the bandwidth is available to accomodate all of the people expected to sign on to webcasts this year? It seems at times in the past the quality of the stream was affected by the number of people logging on, and with HD I would assume the resource requirements are that much greater.

The ability to connect the webcast to the TV is actually a pretty decent option, especially for people like me that would have to upgrade our DTV subscriptions for several months just to get the FCS broadcasts (I'd have to pay for the webcast subscription or I'd pay to upgrade to the DTV sports pac).

I also realize the system I'm using on my end is a limiter as well. The stream will only be as good as my connection/equipment. Of course, with the TV signal that's not as big of a concern.

So, if the webcast will be able to provide a dependable stream regardless of the HD and the number of people signed on, this is probably an option many of us have under rated to this point.

Thanks

This is one of the main reasons why I'm not freaking out as much as everyone else about the TV deal. I've watched games on the web and I have had zero issues. I understand they're feeding us SD and that it's not going to look as good as the FCS channel. However, I also know that even at SD (gonna get technical here... up to 3mbps) still takes up some internet resources. I upgrade my internet quality when I know I'm going to be streaming. I also run a 50 foot cable from my wireless router directly to my computer when I'm streaming because the wireless can be spotty. I purchased the NHL Gamecenter Live feed this year and there were a lot of games in SD. At times, they looked worse than UND's feed, at times they looked better. However, with the games in HD (3mbps and up) I definitely had to have my computer directly plugged in to the router or the feed would default to lower quality because it couldn't handle the HD.

I'm trusting UND will do their part in making sure the resources are available to handle the expected increase in bandwidth because of the HD feed and the higher number of viewers. I just hope those viewers also do their part and upgrade their systems (not always just a faster/newer computer) to be able to handle that HD feed before they start whining about not being able to get HD with the bare minimum internet package running wirelessly to their laptop that was built in 2005.

This is one of the main reasons why I'm not freaking out as much as everyone else about the TV deal. I've watched games on the web and I have had zero issues. I understand they're feeding us SD and that it's not going to look as good as the FCS channel. However, I also know that even at SD (gonna get technical here... up to 3mbps) still takes up some internet resources. I upgrade my internet quality when I know I'm going to be streaming. I also run a 50 foot cable from my wireless router directly to my computer when I'm streaming because the wireless can be spotty. I purchased the NHL Gamecenter Live feed this year and there were a lot of games in SD. At times, they looked worse than UND's feed, at times they looked better. However, with the games in HD (3mbps and up) I definitely had to have my computer directly plugged in to the router or the feed would default to lower quality because it couldn't handle the HD.

I'm trusting UND will do their part in making sure the resources are available to handle the expected increase in bandwidth because of the HD feed and the higher number of viewers. I just hope those viewers also do their part and upgrade their systems (not always just a faster/newer computer) to be able to handle that HD feed before they start whining about not being able to get HD with the bare minimum internet package running wirelessly to their laptop that was built in 2005.

Already starting excused for a users internet stream not working, I've heard them all in the past. My download speed is in excess of 6 mpbs and I've had problems with past UND streams (while those from other schools work perfectly). My hardware has never been outdated and still is not. If the advertised new stream does not work, I better not hear the "it's on my end" excuse again. It is not on my end, never has been, never will be. I'm not holding my breath until I see the results of the new web stream.

• Upvote 1

Already starting excused for a users internet stream not working, I've heard them all in the past. My download speed is in excess of 6 mpbs and I've had problems with past UND streams (while those from other schools work perfectly). My hardware has never been outdated and still is not. If the advertised new stream does not work, I better not hear the "it's on my end" excuse again. It is not on my end, never has been, never will be. I'm not holding my breath until I see the results of the new web stream.

That sounds a lot like what Qwest (now CenturyLink) used to do when I had problems with their phone service. Everything was always "your fault" and "you aren't guaranteed anything" and all this other garbage. :angry: That is one of the main reasons I switched to Midco phone service almost a decade ago and haven't regretted it once.

But if midco isn't an option? I know don't complain it's being worked on....but we've heard this before. And many that have been able to watch und hockey in previous years may not be able to moving forward. It's almost August and the rural cable companies in nd don't even have all the details of what they'll be able to offer:/

Hey folks, I did an All-WCHA NHLer team last season during the lockout, and I think it'd be fun to do the same this season for the NCHC. Below are my candidates for the forwards, d-men, & goaltenders. Who am I missing?

Forwards:

Toews (UND)

Parise (UND)

Oshie (UND)

Stastny (DU)

Zajac (UND)

Cullen (SCSU)

Stafford (UND)

Malone (SCSU)

Bozak (DU)

Raymond (UMD)

Jones (MU)

Schwartz (CC)

Frattin (UND)

Zucker (DU)

Letestu (WMU)

Shore (DU)

Hendricks (SCSU)

Defensemen:

Boyle (MU)

Carle (DU)

Faulk (UMD)

Niskanen (UMD)

M. Greene (UND)

Garrison (UMD)

A. Greene (MU)

DeKeyser (WM)

Wiercioch (DU)

Stuart (CC)

Martinez (MU)

Hillen (CC)

Goaltenders (yikes!):

Bachman (CC)

Ellis (UNO)

McElhinney (CC)

Stalock (UMD)

What excuse did I give? It's more of a warning that you can't have crappy Internet and a crappy computer and expect a full HD stream without any issues.

A alternative option to the webcast is to consider investing in a Slingbox. There are some stipulations before it is a viable option. Namely, you need to place the Slingbox in someone's home who gets Midcontinent cable. In my case, it's my parents' house(I'm a DirecTV subscriber). Secondly, you need to make sure they have a high enough internet upload rate so that the HD channel quality won't get degraded. Recommended would be an upload/download speed of 1.5 Mbps or higher.

You'd also have to be sure to connect the Slingbox to a DVR or HD Receiver that isn't frequently used otherwise you'd be battling for control of said device. Otherwise, could place a dedicated DVR/HD Receiver in their house and simply pay an annual(or monthly) fee for the receiver lease.

Set-up is really simple as well. Either way, I've been using a Slingbox for over a year now and I get the HD channels in crystal clear quality. The initial investment is a bit steep but I think in the long run is worth it.

A alternative option to the webcast is to consider investing in a Slingbox. There are some stipulations before it is a viable option. Namely, you need to place the Slingbox in someone's home who gets Midcontinent cable. In my case, it's my parents' house(I'm a DirecTV subscriber). Secondly, you need to make sure they have a high enough internet upload rate so that the HD channel quality won't get degraded. Recommended would be an upload/download speed of 1.5 Mbps or higher.

You'd also have to be sure to connect the Slingbox to a DVR or HD Receiver that isn't frequently used otherwise you'd be battling for control of said device. Otherwise, could place a dedicated DVR/HD Receiver in their house and simply pay an annual(or monthly) fee for the receiver lease.

Set-up is really simple as well. Either way, I've been using a Slingbox for over a year now and I get the HD channels in crystal clear quality. The initial investment is a bit steep but I think in the long run is worth it.

This would not be a good option. Slingbox is not meant to work this way, and would cause a mess of things on Slingbox's end.

A lot of people are confused by how this all goes down. UND, like a lot of colleges, uses Neulion and a quick look on Neulion's website shows that besides colleges, Neulion also does video services for the NHL, NFL, and many more. I emailed Neulion about how their system works for colleges like us. Apparently, UND sends it to Neulion and then the game is distributed over their servers down to the customers, So UND only has to worry about one person while all the customers are not accessing UND for the stream, but Neulion, so UND is the wrong person to be mad at when it comes to a customer's stream not working.

Also, People are also getting mad at only 6 games being on national television instead of 22...well, here's the deal...

First off, Fox College Sports is not a national channel, its a semi-national channel that is closer to being a regional channel like Fox Sports North is, so technically they aren't national games when being broadcast.

Secondly, FCS doesn't have an HD channel, only SD. So, if people want games back on FCS, they will have to take a downgrade in quality along with it.

Finally, both CBSSN and MidcoSN will be broadcasting all of their games in FULL HD this year, and while the home games that CBSSN does will not be webcast, it sounds like what Jayson is saying that UND got the right equipment this year to webcast all of the MidcoSN games in HD as well.

So, through all of this, I would rather have this setup than last year. I know people generally don't like change, and for most, people will have to change how they get their games. I like it though, because I like my games in HD.

It seems like a pretty efficient design on the site, very easy to navigate. I wish they would have added a fan forum section, it would be cool to interact with fans from other schools in the conference. In my opinion the NCHC has gotten off to a rough start, I think it was a huge mistake not finding a way to accommodate Notre Dame's NBC tv deal, especially when you see the declining state of Denver's program. We needed more big name schools with money to invest in the sport, instead we got St. Cloud. I really hope they can find a way to fix UND's tv schedule and make more games available, if not the NCHC might actually hurt our program more than staying in the WCHA.

In my opinion the NCHC has gotten off to a rough start, I think it was a huge mistake not finding a way to accommodate Notre Dame's NBC tv deal, especially when you see the declining state of Denver's program. We needed more big name schools with money to invest in the sport, instead we got St. Cloud. I really hope they can find a way to fix UND's tv schedule and make more games available, if not the NCHC might actually hurt our program more than staying in the WCHA.

I tend to agree with most of that. The NCHC should have bent over backwards in every way possible to get Notre Dame into the league. They may not be a "traditional" hockey power, but the school itself is certainly the most recognizable brand name in NCAA sports.

Having said that, I don't agree that staying in what has become of the WCHA would be preferrable to the NCHC. The admission of St. Cloud is an eyesore, but at least they do emphasize hockey. Staying aligned with Denver and CC, and then adding Miami was a great shift under the circumstances....................

On a sidenote, I see that there will be no TV coverage for the 3rd place game of the NCHC tourney.

I just bought my tickets for the tourny and all I can say is, what a joke! There is no way all them seats are sold out! There is either something wierd going on or this tourny is going to have more attendance than the X did and I doubt that! I have always been a supporter of the new NCHC, but I'm starting to have my doubts!