SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

That's a poor argument. For a number of reasons, including the number of games in a season and per game attendence, a single football game is more important than a single event in any of NDSU's other sports. The cancellation of a single basketball game, for instance, is less likely to happen and less damaging if it does happen than the cancellation of a football game. Also, as people on the board are fond of pointing out, football is a simply a more important sport at NDSU than any other sport. That's why NDSU isn't as concerned about scheduling an "unreliable partner" in sports other than football...the potential for damage is much lower.

Got it. You think UND is unreliable. Thank you for your continued interest in University of North Dakota athletics!

That's a poor argument. For a number of reasons, including the number of games in a season and per game attendence, a single football game is more important than a single event in any of NDSU's other sports. The cancellation of a single basketball game, for instance, is less likely to happen and less damaging if it does happen than the cancellation of a football game. Also, as people on the board are fond of pointing out, football is a simply a more important sport at NDSU than any other sport. That's why NDSU isn't as concerned about scheduling an "unreliable partner" in sports other than football...the potential for damage is much lower.

Unless you care to identify yourself as Gene Taylor himself, I'll simply go by the good things members of the athletic department have had to say about scheduling UND, and take Gene's comments on the public record regarding football scheduling at face value. Take heart though, your opinion on this comes in a very close second.

Please explain how it will be a "wash"?

If they get 350k to go down there - that leaves about 135k left over after spending 100k on the charter, 100k on buyout and 15k for miscellaneous cost.

If they are only getting 300k, then they make 85K. Profit is profit and that can pay for alot of things in recruiting, jerseys, etc.

New information states that SMU is paying Montana State 300k. Montana State is paying Monmouth 200k to come to Bozeman on opening day, the week before SMU.

So my new math shows MSU is losing 110k:

300k (SMU) - 110k (travel to SMU) - 100k (buyout NDSU) - 200k (Monmouth) = losing 110k.

On the flip side, if they played NDSU:

-110k (travel to NDSU) - 200k (Monmouth) = losing 310k.

Looks like a financial move to me. Plus they get a guaranteed FCS home win out of the deal.

New information states that SMU is paying Montana State 300k. Montana State is paying Monmouth 200k to come to Bozeman on opening day, the week before SMU.

300k (SMU) - 110k (travel to SMU) - 100k (buyout NDSU) - 200k (Monmouth) = losing 110k.

Looks like a financial move to me. Plus they get a guaranteed FCS home win out of the deal.

They're also using it to cover the cost of bring in a DII team also. I don't know why he would say it was revenue neutral if it wasn't. I'm sure he rather say yeah man we're making big money by this move. Poor scheduling on his part.

They're also using it to cover the cost of bring in a DII team also. I don't know why he would say it was revenue neutral if it wasn't. I'm sure he rather say yeah man we're making big money by this move. Poor scheduling on his part.

I'd be curious to see the books at MSU...it must be written in crayon. Dropping NDSU for SMU and a DII team. Yeah...makes no sense SMU sure for the money but a DII. They better hope they win the conference.

No...it's because they are scared to play the Bison!! :lol:

Monmouth University is an FCS school. One of my son in laws teammates with the Cowboys was Miles Austin who is a Monmouth grad. Its in New Jersey. Who is the DII school you refer to?

Was he a starter for the bison. Guess not since he is not on the team anymore.

He played enough title season 1 and would've last season as well. In fact he had 1 of the biggest tackles of the season against GSU on a 4th and goal which really helped swing the momentum. So I hope that assists your butthurt.

He played enough title season 1 and would've last season as well. In fact he had 1 of the biggest tackles of the season against GSU on a 4th and goal which really helped swing the momentum. So I hope that assists your butthurt.

Bison Media Blog, 8/9/12

Jemison had another procedure done on his other hip, but you could tell thru the first few practices, he was not close to his former self. Bohl told the media last Friday that Jemison’s hip put him in a position that he couldn’t play every down and re-iterated today that his reps had been decreasing by the practice.

In the same situation, I'll bet a guy like Marcus Williams gets "his day in court".

obviously not as valuable as the fab 8 felons or he would have played last season.

Not for indecent exposure.

His step dad said it was a wardrobe malfunction, in that he forgot to put on "undergear". http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/19373093/jemisons-dad-fights-sons-charges

If what his story was to his step dad was true Jemison received a big screw job from NDSU. I hope he was able to afford to stay in school and work towards a degree.

He was dismissed before his day in court, as it was likely that he was going to have a hard (bad pun) time playing a major role on the field. It was an easy way to free up a scholarship that otherwise would have been tied up by an injured player.

An aside from this... What happens to players that are forced to end their football career because of injuries? Does the school generally honor their scholarship? Or are they effed? Juckem comes to mind for NDSU. Have seen stated that his scholarship is "available", but after the time and effort he's put in for NDSU, don't they owe it to him to help him finish his last year of school? Is a player's academic progress considered in this situation? I realize scholarships are a year to year deal, just wondering how compassion plays a part.

Carry on...

So NDSU has an open date on September 14th, the same day UND play's Montana. If I'm Faison I call up Taylor and say "We understand you need some help filling out your schedule. If it would help I'm sure we can get out of the Montana game and you can come up here". I know full will Gene will not go for it. For the record I could care less if we ever play those arrogant SOB’s again. We are in a better conference and it is time for UND to move on a build new rivalries.

MSU hosts Mesa State.

The timeline is not really fair to NDSU, but I understood why. The Mesa State game baffles me though. Seems like a bad move. The only way I could see that happening is if there was absolutely no other alternative and it is purely to raise cash. Games like that do, however, piss the fan base off.

So NDSU has an open date on September 14th, the same day UND play's Montana. If I'm Faison I call up Taylor and say "We understand you need some help filling out your schedule. If it would help I'm sure we can get out of the Montana game and you can come up here". I know full will Gene will not go for it. For the record I could care less if we ever play those arrogant SOB’s again. We are in a better conference and it is time for UND to move on a build new rivalries.

UND would never want to do that. Montana is a top notch game.

His step dad said it was a wardrobe malfunction, in that he forgot to put on "undergear". http://www.valleynew...ts-sons-charges

If what his story was to his step dad was true Jemison received a big screw job from NDSU. I hope he was able to afford to stay in school and work towards a degree.

He was dismissed before his day in court, as it was likely that he was going to have a hard (bad pun) time playing a major role on the field. It was an easy way to free up a scholarship that otherwise would have been tied up by an injured player.

An aside from this... What happens to players that are forced to end their football career because of injuries? Does the school generally honor their scholarship? Or are they effed? Juckem comes to mind for NDSU. Have seen stated that his scholarship is "available", but after the time and effort he's put in for NDSU, don't they owe it to him to help him finish his last year of school? Is a player's academic progress considered in this situation? I realize scholarships are a year to year deal, just wondering how compassion plays a part.

Carry on...

With an injury.......I believe the schollies are honored, but the team can still fill the scholly. I think this is across the NCAA.

The timeline is not really fair to NDSU, but I understood why. The Mesa State game baffles me though. Seems like a bad move. The only way I could see that happening is if there was absolutely no other alternative and it is purely to raise cash. Games like that do, however, piss the fan base off.

Based on how long GT and the NDSU athletic department holds grudges, They will likely not play Montana State ever again!! :)

Given past patterns, it would not be very bright to try and schedule them again. I think the fans would be mad if he tried.

Does backing out blackball you from getting scheduled? If so I doubt UND will see Central Arkansas again and we will only see Idaho St in conference play.