SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Given past patterns, it would not be very bright to try and schedule them again. I think the fans would be mad if he tried.

If NDSU were in the same bind and only had 5 home games and had a chance to buy out of a game to pay someone to come play in Fargo, GT would do it in a heartbeat. MSU was in a bind and this was their best option. IF GT wants to hold a grudge against them, that's his decision. But it is just part of being in FCS football.

UND would never want to do that. Montana is a top notch game.

Not only are they a top notch game but they're a school we'd be smart to try to build a history with as quickly as possible. Starting to build rivalries with Montana and Montana State is going to be a big part of getting butts in the seats again at the Alerus. Smart money says the Montana game gets played.

You're right, Montana is a heck of a lot better football brand than the Ag School of the North. No use removing Montana from our schedule to help out the arrogant pricks from Fargo.

You sound pretty damn butthurt that your team is having........shall we say........a VERY rough go. LOL!

So NDSU has an open date on September 14th, the same day UND play's Montana. If I'm Faison I call up Taylor and say "We understand you need some help filling out your schedule. If it would help I'm sure we can get out of the Montana game and you can come up here". I know full will Gene will not go for it. For the record I could care less if we ever play those arrogant SOB’s again. We are in a better conference and it is time for UND to move on a build new rivalries.

Of course Gene wouldn't go for it. Replacing a home game against Montana State to go on the road to UND? Though maybe the Alerus would actually be full for a change....

You're right, Montana is a heck of a lot better football brand than the Ag School of the North. No use removing Montana from our schedule to help out the arrogant pricks from Fargo.

5 years. 2 titles. Heckuva a lot more years. 2 titles. Which one is better again? ;)

5 years. 2 titles. Heckuva a lot more years. 2 titles. Which one is better again? ;)

One thing that should be of note is that im sure after the 1990 season NDSU fans probably thought they'd just keep on winning championships and dominating UND. 20 some odd years passed without either....

Of course Gene wouldn't go for it. Replacing a home game against Montana State to go on the road to UND? Though maybe the Alerus would actually be full for a change....

Why do you or other Bison fans care if the Alerus is full or not. Thanks for your interest in UND athletics.

Wait...what??? The Alerus Center is not packed to capacity for UND football games?!! This is all new information to us!!!

Thanks for informing us of something that we already know. Do you ever get tired of talking smack on a Sioux sports message board and having people hate you all the time and despising every comment you make? I am all for fans of other teams coming on here for a good debate. But making the same smack talk statements get a bit old. Don't you think?

• Upvote 2

Bison fans don't want to play on the road $$$$ so again unless GT resigns or the game is always in Fargo this series will never be restarted.

Simply not true...if my memory serves me correctly GT offered Faison to play every other year home/away and we turned it down..

Lets not forget they immediately moved to 60 scholarships in 2004, then on to 63 within a year after that. Now I have heard from Bison fans that these extra 27 scholarships would not show up on the field for "years". Not true. NDSU immediately went out and got EIGHT junior college players for the 2004 season to fill gaps. These are 8 players that D2 teams cannot afford - they can maybe afford to get one or two.

On top of that, would NDSU fans have been happy if UND cut off the series in 2005 or 2006 when those 63 scholarships were now on the field in one way or the other vs. UND's 36 total schollies? Probably not.

After all that its probably just best to end it in 2003.

You are correct. That said we did beat UNI with less scholarships and SU beat Montana when they were still Div II. Would we have been at a disadvantage? Sure, but mostly with depth as the skill would have been very similar. I personally wish we would have kept playing the game. It was a lot of hurt feelings by our coaches and adm. In the end we were wrong and they were right...Trust me I hate to say that.....but it's the truth..

You are correct. That said we did beat UNI with less scholarships and SU beat Montana when they were still Div II. Would we have been at a disadvantage? Sure, but mostly with depth as the skill would have been very similar. I personally wish we would have kept playing the game. It was a lot of hurt feelings by our coaches and adm. In the end we were wrong and they were right...Trust me I hate to say that.....but it's the truth..

Don't compare playing UNI one time to playing NDSU on a yearly basis for bragging rights in the state. A tad bit different.

With all the scheduling issues that both schools have had with teams backing out (especially NDSU) you would think that Faison and GT would both benefit from scheduling each other every other year. There is ZERO chance that either school would ever back out. Don't you think it would be nice to have a guaranteed OOC team on the schedule that you know is not going to back out? I guess maybe that's to easy!

Interesting to see the FU faithful have as much if not more interest in a UND radio announcer than in something pertaining their own programs such as maybe 3 of their players quitting right before a playoff run, 2 players getting kicked off the team a few weeks ago for no named reason or another player quitting the team because his scholarship was getting reduced for disciplinary reasons. Not to mention the issues they had with Chris Berg this fall either.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Sac State and Davis play even though one was D-I and one was D-II?

Yes they did. And if NDSU was as bad as Sac State used to be, then UND would have loved to have kept playing. We all knew that NDSU was going to get pretty good with 63 scholarships and their built-in advantages. There was no way UND could have kept up with that and taken a hit come playoff selection time.

You sound pretty damn butthurt that your team is having........shall we say........a VERY rough go. LOL!

Wow what jealousy will make people post.

Well, I simply stated Montana is a better football brand because Montana is a more renown football school than NDSU, in my opinion. They were winning and competing for DI titles well before the Ag School. You can state I'm jealous all you want, but the fact of the matter is I don't want to help out NDSU if they're looking for a last minute game, especially with how tentative GT has been in regards to getting an NDSU-UND game scheduled. The only exception to helping out NDSU would be if it acts as a catalyst to getting this UND-NDSU SERIES back together and active.

Simply not true...if my memory serves me correctly GT offered Faison to play every other year home/away and we turned it down..

Only because Faison wanted an every year contract since scheduling in the GWFC is very hard to do. GT said only every other year so last year Faison sent GT his precious every other year contract starting in 2015 in Fargo and 2017 in GF but it hasn't been signed.

Well, I simply stated Montana is a better football brand because Montana is a more renown football school than NDSU, in my opinion. They were winning and competing for DI titles well before the Ag School. You can state I'm jealous all you want, but the fact of the matter is I don't want to help out NDSU if they're looking for a last minute game, especially with how tentative GT has been in regards to getting an NDSU-UND game scheduled. The only exception to helping out NDSU would be if it acts as a catalyst to getting this UND-NDSU SERIES back together and active.

GT isn't getting this series back together because they see UND as a threat. If not why wouldn't they schedule UND if we are just like Prairie View, and Robert Morris. NDSU loves cupcakes at the dome to make it to another playoff run, but I guess GT doesn't see UND as a cupcake. I will enjoy NDSU play 10 games or schedule Sioux Falls to get the fans their much required sixth home game.

GT isn't getting this series back together because they see UND as a threat. If not why wouldn't they schedule UND if we are just like Prairie View, and Robert Morris. NDSU loves cupcakes at the dome to make it to another playoff run, but I guess GT doesn't see UND as a cupcake. I will enjoy NDSU play 10 games or schedule Sioux Falls to get the fans their much required sixth home game.

I certainly agree. Right now, NDSU considers themselves on an entire different level than UND, and to a certain degree, they are right. GT believes scheduling and then subsequently losing to UND is the only thing that can get UND up to the same level as NDSU. I actually can see where GT is coming from, but if you think you are that much better than UND, then why not play the game and show everyone else in North Dakota that you ACTUALLY are! His delayed nature in scheduling this game I think only implies he believes UND is a legitimate threat to knocking off NDSU if they played. Even if NDSU is the better team on paper, the enormity of the game will likely make both teams play an exceptionally competitive game that could go either way.

If UND offered to come to the Fargodome with no return trip you'd have a good argument.

If UND offered to come to the Fargodome with no return trip you'd have a good argument.

So now the game can only be played in Fargo? Why? So when UND beats SU for the 5th time in the dome then SU can dodge UND for the next 10 years.

• Upvote 1