SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

With all the scheduling issues that both schools have had with teams backing out (especially NDSU) you would think that Faison and GT would both benefit from scheduling each other every other year. There is ZERO chance that either school would ever back out. Don't you think it would be nice to have a guaranteed OOC team on the schedule that you know is not going to back out? I guess maybe that's to easy!

If there's really zero chance that either team will ever back out -- presumably because the game is too important to both schools -- why did the annual game end in the first place? Obviously, it must not have been that important to someone.

I think what Darell is saying is that NDSU sees UND as their only threat. Lets say UND gets hammered in Fargo this year and then SU goes on to lose the FCS title game. Next year NDSU is down a little and UND is on the rise and UND wins a barnburner "upset" in Grand Forks. In just two seasons the whole paradigm and perception of things changes. That's what NDSU does not want to happen.

I think what Darell is saying is that NDSU sees UND as their only threat. Lets say UND gets hammered in Fargo this year and then SU goes on to lose the FCS title game. Next year NDSU is down a little and UND is on the rise and UND wins a barnburner "upset" in Grand Forks. In just two seasons the whole paradigm and perception of things changes. That's what NDSU does not want to happen.

We are either a threat or GT loves to hold a grude...going on 10 years now.

If there's really zero chance that either team will ever back out -- presumably because the game is too important to both schools -- why did the annual game end in the first place? Obviously, it must not have been that important to someone.

When the level of play is changed and you get penalized for playing up...it is important. NDSU didn't move to a different conference they moved to a different level of scholarships.

Didn't Sac State and Davis play even though one was D-I and one was D-II?

They shared the same conference for one year it was called the American West until the NCAA said that DII and FCS could not complete in the same conference. Then Cal-Davis went DII - Ind from 93 to 05 until they went FCS. I would say both Sac St./Cal Davis needed OCC games in California. Plus, I do know if Sac St. was remotely close to full funding and I don't think Cal-Davis had scholarships until FCS.

So now the game can only be played in Fargo? Why? So when UND beats SU for the 5th time in the dome then SU can dodge UND for the next 10 years.

You said if NDSU looks at UND as a Robert Morris or Prairie View that NDSU should have no problem scheduling them. NDSU would never make a return trip to Prairie View or Bob Morris. So if NDSU looks at UND as a PV, why would NDSU agree to a contract that would involve playing in Grand Forks?

Just shooting holes in your points sir.

Was he a starter for the bison. Guess not since he is not on the team anymore.

He played enough title season 1 and would've last season as well. In fact he had 1 of the biggest tackles of the season against GSU on a 4th and goal which really helped swing the momentum. So I hope that assists your butthurt.

come on Johnny Boy answer the questions - was he a starter last year or was he hurt due to injury and lost his starting job thus expendable?

You said if NDSU looks at UND as a Robert Morris or Prairie View that NDSU should have no problem scheduling them. NDSU would never make a return trip to Prairie View or Bob Morris. So if NDSU looks at UND as a PV, why would NDSU agree to a contract that would involve playing in Grand Forks?

Just shooting holes in your points sir.

:silly: Okay Johnboy focus....Bison fans (the one's on BV) look at UND as a lower level team, the Prairie View of ND, but yet GT doesn't want UND on their schedule do you know why? Its called fear. Fear of UND pulling out an upset in the dome and ruining the 5 year head start, fear of recruits attempting to pick NDSU doing a 180 and hitting I-29 going north. Fear of not being taken seriously in the FCS. Remember the mid 90's until 2003 when NDSU jumped ship, the talk was about UND, and how they beat the Bison basically every year. 10 out of 13 games...quite a swing. Oh how the talk of the DII titles of the 80's was gone from people's mouths and how UND was the talk of the state. It killed Chapman and Taylor so it was off to DI to escape UND. Well we found you, and in the upcoming playoff game (since Taylor can't avoid that) when UND wins...goodbye head start, unless Taylor starts his FBS study.

It will be just a matter of time before the almighty word "perception" will be stripped away from Fargo University's football program (in regards and relation to UND specifically).

History tells us this perception will come to an end soon....yet again.

I look forward to it.

(Disclaimer: in no way am I taking anything away from what Fargo University has done on the football field the last few years. Impressive.)

It will be just a matter of time before the almighty word "perception" will be stripped away from Fargo University's football program (in regards and relation to UND specifically).

History tells us this perception will come to an end soon....yet again.

I look forward to it.

(Disclaimer: in no way am I taking anything away from what Fargo University has done on the football field the last few years. Impressive.)

The hell you say. NDSU will be remembered forever in the minds of FCS fans. Just like their DII championships they throw in our faces but discard the 10 out of 13 wins UND had before they left claiming..."that was DII". I made 4 more points in the BV fantasy game. I hope to add more.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

It’s unfortunate this decision wasn’t made last month. NDSU could have kept Sept. 21 vacant and opened the door for a UND matchup. With Montana State off the schedule, the NDSU nonconference formula of a FBS game, a good FCS game and a winnable FCS game would have been back in play.

I guess they missed the memo saying UND didn't want to play 12 games in a row!!!

:silly: Okay Johnboy focus....Bison fans (the one's on BV) look at UND as a lower level team, the Prairie View of ND, but yet GT doesn't want UND on their schedule do you know why? Its called fear. Fear of UND pulling out an upset in the dome and ruining the 5 year head start, fear of recruits attempting to pick NDSU doing a 180 and hitting I-29 going north. Fear of not being taken seriously in the FCS. Remember the mid 90's until 2003 when NDSU jumped ship, the talk was about UND, and how they beat the Bison basically every year. 10 out of 13 games...quite a swing. Oh how the talk of the DII titles of the 80's was gone from people's mouths and how UND was the talk of the state. It killed Chapman and Taylor so it was off to DI to escape UND. Well we found you, and in the upcoming playoff game (since Taylor can't avoid that) when UND wins...goodbye head start, unless Taylor starts his FBS study.

I am really interested in how you know why Gene does what he does.

You are insinuating that NDSU went D-I to escape UND. Takes away all credibility from the post. Rivalries are cyclical. UND had a very good run against NDSU for a period of time.

You are insinuating that NDSU went D-I to escape UND. Takes away all credibility from the post. Rivalries are cyclical. UND had a very good run against NDSU for a period of time.

Why did GT and Chapy decide to move up? Obviously when the rest of the NCC (excluding SDSU) said no, they didn't care about the UND-NDSU rivalry they wanted any advantage over UND at all sports. NDSU's women's basketball program took a back seat to UND starting in 1997, football backseat in the 4-1 record in the Fargodome plus 2-0 in the Alerus. So how do you change that in a short period of time? Answer....move up. Get more scholarships, more depth, more better players, and then say "will you still play us"? Now UND has the same number of schollies, same depth, has better players, and GT is still saying no. Its either the grudge of 2003 or he's scared. Bison fans say why not we can beat them 80-0 but GT won't listen to fans.

It's entirely possible that by the time ndsu nutts up and plays Und that the cycle will have oscillated back into Und's favor. Better strike while the irons hot.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

I guess they missed the memo saying UND didn't want to play 12 games in a row!!!

One interesting thing I've seen floated around is having NDSU move their game with USD to 9/14 or 9/21, opening up the 11/23 date. I know that UND has been set on an 11 game schedule, but I would think that was mainly because most options were on 9/21 and UND didn't want to play 12 games in a row. If USD was willing to move their game and if GT could stomach sending a home and home contract, Faison has to agree doesn't he? Purely hypothetical because I don't see either or both of the two things that need to happen actually happening, but food for thought.

One interesting thing I've seen floated around is having NDSU move their game with USD to 9/14 or 9/21, opening up the 11/23 date. I know that UND has been set on an 11 game schedule, but I would think that was mainly because most options were on 9/21 and UND didn't want to play 12 games in a row. If USD was willing to move their game and if GT could stomach sending a home and home contract, Faison has to agree doesn't he? Purely hypothetical because I don't see either or both of the two things that need to happen actually happening, but food for thought.

Probably not since GT never signed the 2015,2017 home and home contract Faison sent. But weirder things has happened.

Wow what jealousy will make people post.

Although the choice of words used in the post to which you responded did lack any element of tact it's pretty ironic that you'd call anybody out in respect to their views of your team while simultaneously posting on their team's fan site.

I mean, let's face it, if you actually take the time to go to another team's fan site, create an account, peruse the message board for any negative posts against your team and respond to those posts you're not exactly putting yourself in a position to judge anybody else's obsession or jealously or whatever you want to call it in respect to your team.

If the post to which you replied was on your team's fan site then that would be different. As it is though...

Just sayin'.

• Upvote 2

Why did GT and Chapy decide to move up? Obviously when the rest of the NCC (excluding SDSU) said no, they didn't care about the UND-NDSU rivalry they wanted any advantage over UND at all sports. NDSU's women's basketball program took a back seat to UND starting in 1997, football backseat in the 4-1 record in the Fargodome plus 2-0 in the Alerus. So how do you change that in a short period of time? Answer....move up. Get more scholarships, more depth, more better players, and then say "will you still play us"? Now UND has the same number of schollies, same depth, has better players, and GT is still saying no. Its either the grudge of 2003 or he's scared. Bison fans say why not we can beat them 80-0 but GT won't listen to fans.

That's just ridiculous! NDSU asked UND (and the whole NCC) to move up with them....even waited an extra year to give them time. Why would they do that if their purpose was to gain an advantage on UND?

NDSU moved up because DI was where it belonged. It's pretty hard to argue that NDSU was wrong.

• Upvote 1

This game won't happen - by not playing, su maintains the only advantage they have - the unknown. Thinking back to the last 10 years of the rivalry they were pretty confident every year they were going to win - how did that work out for them. They can't take the chance of playing UND and losing. (perhaps I'll get some fantasy points out of this post).

su vs UND

Most wins: UND

Last 10 years of rivalry: UND

Last head to head: UND