SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Gene Taylor doesn't want the game because UND wasn't willing to fall on the sword for them back in 2003 and it made him have to work a little harder to fill the schedule during the transition.

That's kinda the same thing I was saying. Biased towards UND, of course. I don't agree that anyone expected UND to "fall on it's sword", but you're essentially right. The manner of UND's rejection of the 4 game contract back in 2002 is the reason that NDSU doesn't want the game now. And that is absolutely tied into NDSU's preception of UND as an unreliable business partner.

It could be argued that UND and NDSU have been very reliable partners. Afterall, they play in every sport except football. Neither school has ever bought out a contract with the other with the exception of NDSU and a baseball game. This is absurd that NDSU fans think UND is a bad business partner. NDSU's AD has signed deals to play UND in almost every sport, and UND has never bought out a contract.

That's kinda the same thing I was saying. Biased towards UND, of course. I don't agree that anyone expected UND to "fall on it's sword", but you're essentially right. The manner of UND's rejection of the 4 game contract back in 2002 is the reason that NDSU doesn't want the game now. And that is absolutely tied into NDSU's preception of UND as an unreliable business partner.

UND is an unreliable business partner. I guess we can add that that to the ever growing list of excuses why GT won't schedule this game. (P.S. still waiting for examples of when UNd backed out of a signed contract to play a game.).

When have Fargo and UND been business partners. Wow you really got it backwards! They are enemies/competitors. Glad that Fargo degree is working for you.

Like it or not, they would be business partners, should they decide to resume the on field rivalry. Also, the attitude revealed by your post is further evidence of why the rivalry should not be resumed. UND and NDSU are not, and should not be, enemies. The sort of hatred you seem to think is necessary and normal is counter-productive to both the schools and to the state. You'll know when it's time to resume the rivalry when you see that attitude starting to fade.

All Fargo does is cry when teams exercise a right they were fine signing into a contract!! Hahaha

It's become quite clear that being able to read and understand contacts is not a strength of the FU AD or members of the football team - I see a pattern here.
  • Upvote 1

It's become quite clear that being able to read and understand contacts is not a strength of the FU AD or members of the football team - I see a pattern here.

Huh? I haven't heard one person complain that MSU broke the contract, or did anything that they weren't entitled to do. We wanted to play the game, so we're pissed at them. You would be too.

When was the last time the home schedule was this ugly for the ac? With Illinois State graduating Brown, after the UNI game the playoffs are the only thing to get excited about. That puts a heckuvalot of pressure for home field.

It has nothing to do with being hurt. If you get burned in a business deal, you think twice before you do business with that company again. That's what's going on here, NDSU just can't trust UND. It will take a while for that to come back.

Huh? I haven't heard one person complain that MSU broke the contract, or did anything that they weren't entitled to do. We wanted to play the game, so we're pissed at them. You would be too.

You're complaining they burned you, yet all they did was exercise an option in an mutually agreed upon contract. GT agreed to the buyout clause and there was no execution date on it.

They are not athletic business partners. Each looks out for themselves. If they were partners they'd be playing football. But Gene knows they are not. He's mad about UND looking out for themselves. And he's still hurt about it. The only reason they play in other sports is money. Brings out the fans with little expense.

Business partner employees, athletes, don't say say derogatory things if they were partners. It's called a sports rivalry. Don't kid yourself. Each is in the business of looking out for themselves....free market.

If they were in a conference. They would be more like partners...

You're complaining they burned you, yet all they did was exercise an option in an mutually agreed upon contract. GT agreed to the buyout clause and there was no execution date on it.

I never said MSU burned NDSU in any way. I did say that UND burned NDSU back in 2002. But even that had nothing to do with their not honoring a contract.

I never said MSU burned NDSU in any way. I did say that UND burned NDSU back in 2002. But even that had nothing to do with their not honoring a contract.

Hey Gothmag. I am calling you out. Quit ducking my question. Please give examples of UND backing out of a contract in regards to scheduling a school to play in football or any other sport. Still waiting!! :whistling:

Hey Gothmag. I am calling you out. Quit ducking my question. Please give examples of UND backing out of a contract in regards to scheduling a school to play in football or any other sport. Still waiting!! :whistling:

Call me out all you want. I never said they backed out of a contract, why should I provide examples of something I never claimed?

So in summary, UND has no history of backing out of contracts they sign and you are still mad 10+ years later because UND did what was best for them by not signing a contract that would have benefited NDSU and at the time, hurt UND's playoff chances.

They are not athletic business partners. Each looks out for themselves. If they were partners they'd be playing football. But Gene knows they are not. He's mad about UND looking out for themselves. And he's still hurt about it. The only reason they play in other sports is money. Brings out the fans with little expense.

Business partner employees, athletes, don't say say derogatory things if they were partners. It's called a sports rivalry. Don't kid yourself. Each is in the business of looking out for themselves....free market.

If they were in a conference. They would be more like partners...

Not sure where you're going with this. If you mean they're not "partners" in the legal business entity sense, I suppose you're right. But I would have thought that it was obvious I wasn't using the word in that sense.

If you mean they are not partners in the sense of two parties cooperating to advance their shared interests, you're dead wrong. Once again your perception that a sports rivalrymust me marked by hatred and cut-throat competition is symptomatic of the problem.

Call me out all you want. I never said they backed out of a contract, why should I provide examples of something I never claimed?

I'm not saying that at all. There are many pluses and minuses in scheduling any team. IMO, there are more minuses than pluses for NDSU in scheduling UND. One of the minuses is that, since UND and NDSU no longer share a conference, UND might cancel the series leaving NDSU scrambling to find a game. Nothing in UND's track record convinces me otherwise.

Because you actually said it!! Own up to your BS comments!!

So in summary, UND has no history of backing out of contracts they sign and you are still mad 10+ years later because UND did what was best for them by not signing a contract that would have benefited NDSU and at the time, hurt UND's playoff chances.

Again, UND had every right to schedule, or not schedule. NDSU 10 years ago. It's the manner that they chose to announce and to implement that decision that is/was the problem. I don't expect them to ever own up to it. But, UND officials behaved very, very badly.

Lets not forget they immediately moved to 60 scholarships in 2004, then on to 63 within a year after that. Now I have heard from Bison fans that these extra 27 scholarships would not show up on the field for "years". Not true. NDSU immediately went out and got EIGHT junior college players for the 2004 season to fill gaps. These are 8 players that D2 teams cannot afford - they can maybe afford to get one or two.

On top of that, would NDSU fans have been happy if UND cut off the series in 2005 or 2006 when those 63 scholarships were now on the field in one way or the other vs. UND's 36 total schollies? Probably not.

After all that its probably just best to end it in 2003.

Well, I not going to teach a course in reading comprehension. But nowhere in either of those posts does it say that UND ever backed out of a contract.

You think UND officials might cancel a future contract because UND officials (who are no longer there) decided not to enter into a contract 11 years ago under entirely different circumstances? Is that it?

So by never backing out of a contract, it proved that they will in the future?

No, but by giving verbal assurances that it would sign a contract, sitting on the contract for months, and then blindsiding NDSU by calling a press conference to announce that they would never schedule NDSU again, and generally acting like complete jerks, UND proved that it could not be counted on as a reliable business partner.