SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

Rumor mill has it that Forbort blew his knee when he went awkwardly into the boards when he was checked from behind and will not play the rest of the year. Hopefully we'll know more in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either, but I did see the hit happen live (television) during the game and I guess I'd be surprised if the issue was the knee. To me the more likely issue would be a right hamstring as a big part of the hit was a knee directly into the back of Forbort's right hamstring. The rest of the hit was classic concussion material. (Forbort was down on a knee next to the boards when the hit was delivered by a guy on his skates.)

Ouch, that wouldn't be good news if true. UND's got a tough stretch, usually I would be happy to see injuries to the UND team since i'm a Gophers fan and we've been through it the past few years, but man I feel bad. I'm not sure i've ever seen a college team battle this many injuries and ineligibilities all season.

If you are happy to see injuries to an opposing team you are not a fan.

If you are happy to see injuries to an opposing team you are not a fan.

By injuries I meant when players are nicked up and bruised. The minor injuries don't bother me at all. However, when it comes to major injuries, that is something that I never want to see for any team, or player, at any level. For example, Bina's injury, Jesse Martin last year, or Tom Pohl's career ending injury he sustained against Mankato State which required brain surgery. Heck, you may have even heard of the 16 year old, Jack Jablonski, in Minnesota that was recently paralyzed in a JV game.

Those bother me, when players are nicked up it doesn't bother me, because that's hockey. Speaking on the major injury front, did anyone else see what Jack Parker had to say today? I'll post a small excerpt here and then the link for the full story after. It is a very good read.

But Parker said the initiative is not enough to avoid future injuries.

“Take off the facemask,” Parker said. “People wouldn’t hit people as hard. They wouldn’t get blindsided as much. They wouldn’t get hurt as much if they had the half shield instead of a full shield.

“These kids think their equipment is made in heaven. They can go kill people, and they have no respect for anybody because they don’t worry about hurting anybody. If your face is exposed, people get worried about it.”

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2012/01/jack-parker-sick-to-his-stomach-over.html

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either, but I did see the hit happen live (television) during the game and I guess I'd be surprised if the issue was the knee. To me the more likely issue would be a right hamstring as a big part of the hit was a knee directly into the back of Forbort's right hamstring. The rest of the hit was classic concussion material. (Forbort was down on a knee next to the boards when the hit was delivered by a guy on his skates.)

He was walking just fine up the stairs last night at the MTS Centre. There was no visible brace either.

UND playing with only five defensemen (yes, yes, Gleason was playing forward) and Forbort in the stands says it all: He's hurt enough to not let him play this weekend. Let's hope that precautionary and to get him ready for Minnesota's Friday the 13th nightmare. ;)

Via Schlosman on twitter

Mitch left St. Cloud because he wasn't getting enough playing time, I can't imagine he gets much more here. The reasoning behind the move seems to be he wants to play with his brother again, should be a solid depth forward for us and as this year has shown us, those are invaluable. St. Cloud can not be too happy about this.

Mitch left St. Cloud because he wasn't getting enough playing time, I can't imagine he gets much more here. The reasoning behind the move seems to be he wants to play with his brother again, should be a solid depth forward for us and as this year has shown us, those are invaluable. St. Cloud can not be too happy about this.

Somebody did post some stats that showed the seasons where Mitch had his best stats were the years he played with his brother. Who knows what will happen by putting the two of them together again.

Somebody did post some stats that showed the seasons where Mitch had his best stats were the years he played with his brother. Who knows what will happen by putting the two of them together again.

I agree, basically a no risk, potentially high reward player being brought in.

I just don't see him playing that much to be honest. But we'll see next January I guess.

I think that is great news.

Bringing in a player that already has college experience...add in the fact that he has proven to be a great scorer while playing with his brother in juniors...win-win for UND in my book.

Plus, that will help offset the Matteau departure from our recruiting class.

I think that is great news.

Bringing in a player that already has college experience...add in the fact that he has proven to be a great scorer while playing with his brother in juniors...win-win for UND in my book.

Plus, that will help offset the Matteau departure from our recruiting class.

I can only see that in terms of a body, not in quality....

I can only see that in terms of a body, not in quality....

Which is more than we have put out on the ice the last couple weekends. After this season's roster mess, I'll take any "body" that is will to come here with some talent.

Which is more than we have put out on the ice the last couple weekends. After this season's roster mess, I'll take any "body" that is will to come here with some talent.

I am going to agree with OxBow here, SCSU has bled a few players this season, you have to wonder what's going on there? You never know, he could show up here and develop chemistry with some of the players on the team and we end up with a two year forward that adds a dynamic we didn't have before. It's too bad he can't play now.

Edited by Goon

Mitch MacMillan joins brother, Mark, at UND

University of North Dakota Head Coach Dave Hakstol announced today that forward Mitch MacMillan has transferred to UND and will join the team immediately. MacMillan is eligible to begin practicing with the team, but will not be eligible to compete until January 2013.

MacMillan will have two years of NCAA eligibility remaining when he resumes competition next January.

... Mitch MacMillan has transferred to UND and will join the team immediately ...

Awesome ... now we'll have enough guys to have a scrimmage in practice! :huh:

I wondered about the "two years of NCAA eligibility" until I thought some more about it. He played a full freshman year at SCSU (1); he played enough games so far this season for it to count as another year (2). That would leave him with two years to complete.

Awesome ... now we'll have enough guys to have a scrimmage in practice! :huh:

I wondered about the "two years of NCAA eligibility" until I thought some more about it. He played a full freshman year at SCSU (1); he played enough games so far this season for it to count as another year (2). That would leave him with two years to complete.

Does two years count has four semesters or just "spanned over two seasons"?

If its the former and he's starting next January, does that mean he'll play the last half of 12-13, all of 13-14, and only the first half of 14-15? Doesn't that make things difficult knowing you have a player who only has half a year of eligibility?

{Disclaimer: I'm doing some liberal interpreting from the "redshirt" rules. Be kind those of you who have the NCAA manual memorized. :) }

Basically, if you play 30% of the games on the schedule you've used up the year of eligibilty. He's burned two (2010-11 and 2011-12). He has two left.

Assuming he starts in January 2013 and plays 30% of the games on the 2012-13 schedule that's another year used.

And then he'd have 2013-14.

Of course I could be interpreting all of this incorrectly also. :D